Generic Energy

Reaction score
    Starmade is a wonderful little game with quite a lot going for it, even in this early alpha stage. As it stands Starmade has me almost as excited a Minecraft did in its heyday.

However I would like to address something before Starmade enters later stages of development, as to 'catch the problem when its young'. The problem being the only choice is energy.

Now don't get me wrong, I like energy and its a wonderful and important part of the game. However Starmade needs more then one source of power to pull from. I can see dozens if not more suggestions for countless kinds of blocks from warp drives to massive computers but all of them have the same cost. Energy. Just more and more energy.

How do I make this balanced? Raise the energy cost and/or the number of blocks needed to make it effective.( unless your a missile, then it will just take a day to reach its target ;) )

The problem is that there is too few 'cost holes' to balance things out. What Starmade needs is other 'holes' to sink the cost of blocks. Its boring if every gun has the same ammo.

For example: Heat. yes its generic, but by having things generate heat and having the need to counter it you make the game more complex, and also allowing the designer to balance things out easier.

That Missile is too OP but you don't want it costing more energy then a laser beam? Make it cost something else as well(or make it cost a totally different resource that depends on energy but is gated by its number of blocks.), a renewable 'mana bar' like Energy, but requiring different blocks, in different configurations to allow more diversity. with 2 or more different pools to draw from you can balance your blocks any witch way you want. Don't think its possible? Look at the old mech warrior games, with several cooldowns and ammo and heat to manage people played that game like it was a shooter, even with all that stuff to manage!(Speaking of, the GUI needs a little bit of work, no rush though.)

However: These complexities need to be given out to newer players piece meal. Nothing is worse then having a wall to climb right when you pick up a game(ask any Moba player how hard it was to pick up and they will tell you.). Honestly as the game stands now it is at the perfect level of complexity for a new player, and their small ship. However when they want to build a behemoth battle cruiser that blocks out the sun they will need to pick up these extra energy pools, learn how they work and design a bigger and better death cube.

My Logic: Is mostly centered around larger ship balance. Small ships should be cheep, easy to make and simple. While larger ships should be expensive, a feat of engineering, and deserve their cost. The piece meal part was about making it easy to pick up Starmade, only getting into more advanced systems and different energies when you want to make a larger more complex ship, not something your going to be doing when you first pick up the game(your going to be exploring and making a base first, or at least that is what I did, after being murdered by pirates).

My ideal world(which might not be yours) is a large ship covered with turrets filled with computers and other systems fighting off a fleet of smaller ships while focusing less on aiming at each individual ship and more of commanding your large, powerful vessel to do it for you as you shut off overheated generators, battle off enemy data attacks, and scan for incoming reinforcements while waiting for your main cannon to recharge.

The idea of new players starting with a little lazer boat, then upgrading to a turret boat, then adding more and more complexity until finally they are rolling around in a war crime in space excites me.

Too Long Didn't Read: Starmade needs more energy types, simply to balance out larger ships and to make the game more interesting.

How did I do? This is my first post so tell me how full of myself I am! Ill be posting a lot more ideas in the future as things progress.

Edit: Made some clarifications.

Reaction score
    Is there any data that, in the heat of battle... needs attacking? I mean, I\'m legitimately interested in this one bit.

Reaction score
    Probably should of said \'hacking attempts\' or something along those lines.

An idea I had(that I will make its own thread about, I promise) was to allow ships to fire a beam( or some other means of delivery) at another ship to lower the effectiveness of their computers(making a weapon fire at less then 100% efficiency for example), while the ship could build processors to counter the hack(also probably confusing turrets or something instead of the weapon thing, like I said, it will get its own thread later.). Note: this would only be present on larger ships(those with larger weapon arrays), making smaller ships effectively immune to most hacking attempts(with them dodging and having \'too simple\' of systems to mess with easily).

The idea was that you could send a small stealth ship ahead of your fleet to attempt to \'cripple\' the opponents ship, making their cannons deal only 80% of their intended damage, or make some of their turrets fire less accurately, making your ships have an easier time. Granted I\'m not going into all the details here,(had a lot of counter play ideas)

Note: No \'Silence\' effects from hacking. No turning off shields. No turning of Turrets. No Turning off anything. I hate silence as a mechanic, and do not condone it at all. No one minds having a effect lessened, but turning off a ships main gun? Nothing is more frustrating.

I got a lot of idea\'s for \'Digital Warfare\' or Data for short. The goal mostly being to have a more diverse selection of ships, and having more then one way to take down a larger vessel then trying to out gun the gun boat.

I like the idea of sending a small stealthy vessel up to a carrier, hacking into the doors and opening them, and sending a small team of soldiers inside the ship to take it over and disable it from the inside. OR in the heat of battle make sure they can\'t fire off their \'its like the Death Star\'s Gun, only bigger\' cannon as frequently to give you a better fighting chance.

Not to go on a rant(I do anyway), but I believe that larger ships should be filled with more then just more guns and shields and thrusters, I want them full of systems, rooms with purpose and to make a effective war machine to be a feat of engineering and something worthy of respect rather then pasting lots and lots of guns on a big box. I guess what I want is the bigger you build, the more naturally and gradually it gets more complicated, while making your ship cooler and more effective at the same time. Am I the only one who wants to give a tour of my ship that is more then \'heres the guns, heres the thrust, there are shields everywhere and the core is here.\'?

Sorry for ranting and talking too much, its a habit.

Edit: More Clarity.

Reaction score
    I like the idea of more energies, but do they require any resource? Enconomy is a big problem with Starmade. It isn\'t long before you have over a billion credits and thus are ready to buy the big ships from the catalogs on multiplayer servers.

I also like the idea of system management for turrets and the likes. I feel that flying around a big ship (Such as a battlecruiser) in Starmade is too much like flying a large fighter. You just point your ship and shoot. It feels nothing like commanding a flag ship with a crew of 200.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I think the problem with credit bought materials can be resolved by making materials that are never stocked in shops and need to be mined and refined into a new engine or something. (and to stop abuse cannot be spawned with blueprints)

For instance a nuclear power tank or something type block needs some variation of radioactive ore to be used. Or fusion reactor blocks requiring special ceramic type items for creation. Basically incentivise mining through scarcity of resources. Or that\'s the general idea of it. Though, I\'m sure a better solution could be made as to how exactly that would be implemented. No need to be like minecraft with the crafting.

Reaction score
    The Economy of Starmade is a issue(mostly because you get billions of credits so quickly and easily or starve for the longest time only to kill a pirate and become the boy king) that I leave for a later thread or the developer to address, which ever comes first.

Credits can buy you almost anything, if these other energies are generated(or the counter for them, see Heat below) are created by some kind of block, then logically you should be able to buy the block. If you have money, you should be able to spend it!

Viridis00 idea also works, but players should still be able to be gouged for the blocks they want to buy, let them drain their wealth!

So lets say we make up some energies? These are examples and just for fun, I am sure someone else could come up with better ones, but as I said, just for fun.

Heat: Lets say a \'main cannon beam weapon\' a beam weapon that is as wide as the front layer of blocks(instead of firing out the one) generates heat when fired(in addition to draining a but load of energy because come on). Assuming \'heat\' is a \'mana bar\' that when filled something bad happens. So that means you have your new weapon, and it is a bad mother trucker, however now you have a new thing to deal with to use it, coolants. So you now build your new gun in your beast of a ship, and a bay of coolants to keep the heat from rising in a special pattern to make everything the most efficient possible.

What has changed? You got a big gun, and with a little bit of effort you have a new system to balance when playing. Now when you want to build a ship you build some coolant rooms so you can use these weapons effectively. Complexity has been introduced into the game, small ships won\'t or cant normally get the big gun because they lack the massive amount of energy as well as the cooling bays to use it effectively.

Note: I don\'t say what happens if you use too much heat because, this is an example, and you could probably think of something cool yourself that may be way better then what I cook up.

Note: I don\'t say numbers because I don\'t want them torn apart, I am not a programmer or a math god.

Note: I try to use references to chickens instead of swearing.

Now lets make a more conventional power source, lets call it Plasma.

When I think Plasma I think of engines and beam weapons, so lets make it the fuel of choice for advanced thrusters and or warp drives(Yet again, an example). So you make a warp drive, and realize, \'its only one block! How is a device the size of one block supposed to be a balanced means of teleporting my death star? Also why is there this new empty energy bar on my screen? The Hen is Plasma?\'

By making a new fuel for this field of devices(advanced thrusters and warp drives) you introduce a new need for your larger ship, \'I want to move faster, but to do so I need blocks that Generate Plasma\' so you build a room to compensate for your new need, and the additional complexity.

But Chicken! This is a huge buff to larger ships while doing nothing for smaller ones! Small ships have enough trouble as it is!

I agree. Larger ships however need to be separated from smaller ships, and complexity is an easy and fun way of doing so. Having a warp cable fighter should be possible, however it also should be hard, and not a optimal fighter(because of all the extra blocks, and the free mobility from bloody teleporting out of a fight.). I am of the belief that smaller ships need to be slippery, generally cheaper to make and easier to manage and fly. While larger ships should feel like flying around in a fortress on the brink of war, ready to blow apart anything that your turrets lock onto.

Also with more complexity comes a weakness to it as well, for example if someone blows up your coolant room will you still be able to use your big gun? If I attack your plasma generaters will your ship be able to escape? I\'m sorry, did you need your warp drive? I just bombed it, and look! My friends are on their way, better get running ;).

edit: So many spelling errors in that last bit...

Reaction score
    Data attack, would be a term, to attack and destroy the enemy computer system, either shutting down the weapons or shutting down any system in the ship. They are useful for fighter to mothership fights, for a couple of fighters in a fleet might be shielded and attempting to shut the enemy down. Especially useful in defence against your own mothership, for it forces the enemy to leave, or be destroyed while you can do nothing to stop it.

Reaction score
    When i can get into my server, im going to build a ship like that, what you do, is you make the frame, when you get the frame done, you make the insides of the rooms, and then you work out from them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It would be much cooler, and much more impressive for a large ship, if you had to incorporate things like running power lines into your design.

I envision power not being generated by magic blocks like now, but in reactor multiblock assemblies. (See the \'Big Reactors\' mod in the latest version of the Tekkit modpack for Minecraft) The smallest reactors could be tiny, even 3x3x3 to fit in tiny fighters, and large ships could be powered by multiple larger reactors. Of course, you had better have pretty thick armor around these bigger reactors so they dont get damaged! If your main power bus (Just a few blocks on a fighter, but dozens of blocks long and several blocks thick on a capital ship) is damaged the power throughput will be reduced, and if it\'s severed whole sections of a ship might be without power.

If you want to build truly miniscule fighters or escape pods, maybe power storage blocks could charge while docked. A small interceptor would have limited range and might need to be towed back into the carrier\'s hangar if the pilot doesn\'t watch the power meter.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Liking the idea of this. Making large ships different in construction to achive the same result is one thing, but what we also want is different mechanics for larger ships that make them feel different.

So, the nuclear thrusters that you put on your capital? Those take a while to spool up to full thrust, and you have to use those because your fighter\'s coil thrusters take waayyyyyy too much energy at that scale.

The nadion collectors you have set up to power your seige laser? It means you have burst fire but incredibly long charge time. Of course, a traditional laser at that scale would be useless.

And so on for all mechanics. You get something that isn\'t ridicolously underpowered/consumes all energy at a capital ship scale, but you have some sort of handicap, like the charge time or engines needing to spool up to full throttle, or it needs fuel or ammo.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It could help stop what little shotgun arrays there are left, and would most certainly add complexity.