Gate menu rework

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why not get rid of how gates work currently and replace it by a system similar to how shops work. You get close to some node and it then prompts you to open a menu. From there you could pick your destination etc within a possible gate network. You would be rid of the problem of gates not registering players or ships, and you would make the gates useful again.

Effectively gate travel would function more like mass relays do in mass effct.

Reaction score
    Considering how warpgates currently function (glorified teleport command), it would make much more sense to have mass relays instead of gates, at least for now.
    I only wonder how would you build them. I mean, the maximum size of the vessel that can pass through the gate is determined by gate's diameter. Perhaps, unlike gates, only the mass of the passing ship would matter for the relays?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That is how I imagine it. Heavier ships requiring bigger relays/gates with a steeper energy cost. That would just fix what is currently broken though.
    The interesting added feature I am imagining is linking relays/gates together to function like an actual network. Meaning any node could take you to any other node through the use of something like a dropdown menu.

Reaction score
    This would actually add quite a lot to gate effectiveness, particularly range upgrades, if they can connect to any other gate in range that you (a) have permissions for and (b) the ship is physically able to fit through. Gates could be naturally open for any non-enemy to travel from or to, but able to be secured to faction-only with a faction permission module. Additionally, for extra security or as an alternative to the permission system, you could close them with doors/forcefields over the gate - this would leave no room for any ship to fit through, so the gate would be inaccessible to anyone from either end while the door or forcefield is active, and of course it could be openable with a wireless module and then close again on a timer.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well in the version I am thinking of permission modules could work. I don't see forcefields adding much beyond RP value however.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Great idea OP, that would a lot to warpgates and their use.
    Having each gate set by permission moduals would also be a nice addition, the public can jump between open ones, faction members to all, and hostiles won't activate it.

Reaction score
    This sounds like a fairly reasonable suggestion. I don't know if the devs have thought about this option or not, but if they have and they had specific reasons for rejecting it, maybe they can take a second look at those reasons and the contents of this suggestion. It does feel more practical and interesting than current warp gates.

ADDITION: Actually, thinking about it a bit more, the option of a popup menu upon nearing the warp gate doesn't quite work in my head, so I have two ideas that may fix this problem:

Option 1: The warp gate's destination is predetermined from the warp gate module on the station. This basically lets the player choose where the warp gate sends the player, essentially avoiding the issue of having to go through a popup menu every time you want to use the gate.

Option 2: Upon entering the warp gate, the player and ship enter a separate area from the rest of the map that can only be accessed via a warp gate (I imagine it looking something like an infinite loop of the light speed animation from Star Wars). There, the player will be presented with the option of designating a destination from within the ship. Upon selection of a destination, the player will continue to be inside the isolated area for a set amount of time (simulating travel time, much like a system-to-system jump in Elite: Dangerous) during which all players are still able to traverse the ship and do various things, but all systems are essentially deactivated (logic will likely continue to function in order to prevent automatic doors from breaking). Upon completion of the travel time, the player and ship will then re-enter the main map at the designated destination. This one is my preferred method, although it is much more complicated, because it makes the process of warping much more interesting and much less instant, while still being much faster than simply flying or jumping.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    One way to set a destination out of multiple possible destinations, without needing a special popup menu of any kind, would be to simply set the destination you want as a waypoint before going through the gate. If you don't do this, the gate sends you to whatever destination it used before, or maybe it just doesn't activate.

Reactions: OfficialCoding

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    One way to set a destination out of multiple possible destinations, without needing a special popup menu of any kind, would be to simply set the destination you want as a waypoint before going through the gate. If you don't do this, the gate sends you to whatever destination it used before, or maybe it just doesn't activate.
    Good idea, but how would the player know where the gates are?