Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'll just let McKay say it for me:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I typically like a little more suggestion with my suggestion ;)

Reaction score
    I see exactly what he's saying, since I watched that episode.

TL;DW/DR : allow Warp-gates to be sequentially chained.
    EX: A warps to B warps to C warps to D warps to E warps to F.

Full breakdown:

Normal current operation is more like:
    A warps to B, fly to C-D, then C warps to D, fly to E-F, then E warps to F

It is entirely possible to get assaulted while transiting between gate pairs.

With the proposed system, you'd be linking together B and C, along with D and E, creating one long chain.
    EX: A warps to B to C to D to E to F.

Each gate still has to have enough power to warp the object being slung across the universe, and each one still has to FIT the object being slung across the universe, there'd just be no stopping after each leg of the jump to switch what Gate-pair you'll be using.

Presumeably, unlike the example vid, you'd be able to enter from any part of the chain, and travel to the designated end.
    EX: D to E to F.

Travel in the Other direction? Well, the simplest is just constructing another set running the other direction.

Among the many uses of such a re-doing of the system, is making Inter-Galactic travel less of a P.I.T.A.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    So warp gate relays?

Instead of entering a chain of gates where you enter one gate, exit it, enter another one, exit it, enter another one, etc.

You'd enter Gate A and exit from Gate E, that way you could skip gates B to D but the gates would have to be there (or some kind of relays) to boost the range.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would settle for the ability to walk through a warp gate on foot without winding up in the middle of your destination system thousands of meters away from the destination gate.

Reactions: NeonSturm

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The McKay/Carter intergalactic bridge was, you'll notice, a creative use of an otherwise limited tool. I certainly like the idea more than most, far preferring it over the extended range most servers use as a cheap bypass, but it should certainly be the same as in Stargate- a potential use of available tools, not a feature in itself.

Of course, the game doesn't have quite what it takes for players to build this, yet. The single-output nature of gates means you need two at every station for a two-way bridge. The fact that all gates are inevitably marked on the map for all to see, making your vulnerable waypoint stations the juiciest targets for attack, makes it a fruitless endeavor more often than not.

So, what I really think the suggestion should be here is dialable warp gates and hideable connection, not "Gate bridge".

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So, what I really think the suggestion should be here is dialable warp gates and hideable connection, not "Gate bridge".

Yeah I think hidden multi destination gates is the only way to make them feasible when compared to other forms of FTL. Increasing the range they can go would help a lot too.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like if warp-gates could transfer shield between them.
    Energy for turrets is there anyway (used to refill the also large capacitor) which could be transferred through gate-connections too support each other.

That way you have more survivable targets which are easier to replace compared to the ship needed to take them down.

Another idea would be to require large gates at both ends and cheap relay stations inbetween. This would make the inbetween-station reasonable beyond Gate-type A is incompatible with Gate-type B (the reason was used in StarGate before the mid-station became a security-quarantine station)

What happens if a stream of gates splits or joins into another?
    You would have the sort of slip-stream maneuvering used in Andromeda – faster reaction time, faster lane-switching, faster travelling. Could be cool for mini-games.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    I would like if warp-gates could transfer shield between them.
    But that would require loading in the other sector, or even sectors if in a chain, so the game could check shields.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    That could potentially be handled with abstraction, everything in the unloaded sectors being simplified as non-physical entities with certain amounts of shield, power and regen to send over, based on the last known stats. I'm not so sure about the idea itself, but the technicalities sound entirely feasible.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Shield sharing could be exploited. What is to stop me putting a small, pretty much unusable warp gate on my station that leads to several big ugly shield generator station half way across the galaxy?

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    As I said, I'm so sure about the idea itself. Particularly, it somewhat requires gates to be as static as they are now, which I disagree with.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Shield sharing could be exploited. What is to stop me putting a small, pretty much unusable warp gate on my station that leads to several big ugly shield generator station half way across the galaxy?
    Maybe that you can only link 4 stations together?
    Or that somebody can kill that power/shield-generator?
    Maybe that power can only be transferred from adjacent gates which then can't draw shield/power themselves?

As I said, I'm so sure about the idea itself. Particularly, it somewhat requires gates to be as static as they are now, which I disagree with.
    It doesn't require them static. It just buffs static which can't evade threats or are shown at the map all the time.