Gas Giants, Nebula's, commets, asteroid fields

Reaction score
    Right, can't see any suggestions like this one in the first 20 pages so apologies if its already been posted.

My idea is for additional naturally forming entities such as a Nebula or a gas giant.

The Gas Giantr would be like a smaller sun, with higher gravity, so if ships get too close and get caught then unless they have the right mass to thruster power get pulled in and destroyed, therefore making it a bigger obsticale for motherships than fighters etc.

A Nebula could be useful spawning pirates from or hiding in to evade others, perhaps launching an ambush. However in the nebula it could interfer with cockpits signals, weapon damage is reduced, navigation (and location of other ships vacinity is smaller) and misiles can't lock on.

My idea for a commet would be like a smaller ateroid that randomly spawned in sectors but moved like a missile and if it hit anything would do damage like a missile.

Finally an ateroid filed would be like some of the asterioids now but fill a sector and be of different sizes, maybe close to planet size, meaning big ships had to go round, blow it up to make a path or send fighters into investigate.

Obviously there are other spacial ideas like worm holes but think there is already plenty of discussion on travel etc. The above could add a little more varriety to the game and perhaps give people obsticals to avoid, hide turrets / mines in asteriod belts or just add a bit more real things to the game.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I like the idea of an asteroid field a lot and i think it should look like the one in the second star wars when kenobi and Jango Fett are dog fighting. That would make it so fighters could gain a large advantage against larger ships.

Reaction score
    Yes! and I thought that the scene from Wrath of Khan would be cool for a Nebula

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    great idea, i want my faction base to be almost unreachable by my enemies via asteroid fields.

Reaction score
    There is a search function at the top of the forum list.

Using it, i pulled up 20 posts already covering the topic of \"gas giant\"

that being said, it IS a good idea, thats why its been mentioned before :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That would be cool, they could also be made up of super rare stuff, imagine chasing a comet and mining it cause that shit ain\'t stopping.

Reaction score
    Having your ship spaghettied would be the trippiest thing You would have seen all day.

Reaction score
    I think some things should be added for it:

ElectroMagnetic-Insulator: consumes power to preserve your power (and systems) in Nebulas.Using around 5 power per mass

Vacuum blocks weighting 0 mass used to float at the gas giants surface (1 block creates atleast 1 updrift raising with core distance

Gas Extractors: Extracting some rare gasses generating a decent amount of money(might be used for plasma weapons later or for personal weapons earlier)

also neat on gas planets should be the decreased viewing and radar range allowing you to be safely hidden.

Reaction score
    Looks Great Sounds Great every part of this idea should be implemented most players are going to love it and some claws to take smaller asteroids and fully salvage? Good idea to asteroid fields.

Reaction score
    it\'s easy make option for disabling more lagging stuff like black holes or make them realy realy rare nothing more world is generated as u explore it let\'s use it

Reaction score
    Love some of the suggestions, also think for Nebulas that some could be denser which would impact on your ship speed, pockets could ignite if fired upon or some could be toxic if you left you ship or corrosive like the same way the Sun damages hull. Perhaps there could be a uranium block in some commets which damages health if too close or temporarily disables a salvage beam if collected (2 minute cool down etc).

Like the idea of extracting the gas through some sort of salvage / collector beam