Gap Generator? (name from C&C)

Reaction score
    The idea is a set of blocks like all the other effect blocks (push, pull, overdrive etc...) Not sure what it's active effect could be but the passive effect would prevent other players from being able to spy into your ships, stations and planets in build mode. It would of course cost energy to maintain the gap and adding effect modules would increase the radius of the gap and energy consumption.

Apologies if this has been suggested already but afaik it hasn't.

Would also love to hear some cool name ideas since I don't think we would want to use the name from C&C.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This sounds like a good candidate for a bug report. Namely, a player in build mode should not be able to penetrate any structures that are not in that player's own faction. They should also not be able to penetrate any "natural" structure, such as a planet or asteroid. That's valuable, not only for preventing spying, but also to prevent players from prospecting valuable ores in build mode and drilling straight to them. Wording it like that will still allow builders to look into their own stuff if they need to, just not other people's stuff.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, you shouldn't need to create a subsystem to prevent build mode spying.

Reaction score
    I don't understand why this exploit is still a thing. Just limit how far you can look out, increase it on whatever area size the ship is.

Of course a 'simple solution' is a very alien concept in game development and implementing it would probably shit out the physics or something IDK.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I never really understood why people didn't build tiny cloaked ships to just enter build mode and inspect the other ships systems (where they are), so you could just build a ship that would be designed to take down that ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I never really understood why people didn't build tiny cloaked ships to just enter build mode and inspect the other ships systems (where they are), so you could just build a ship that would be designed to take down that ship.
    That's pretty common actually. Maybe not as far as to build something specifically to kill a single ship, but just to check stuff out.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This bug should not get fixed but converted into a feature.

You are not able to spy unless you have certain scanner modules.
    For example, you may spy out logic connections but not their state if they are hidden in hull...

But if we fix this bug, I would just edit my local textures to get see-through hull blocks.
    Putting a faction module 1 block between it and ground into a 2-layered wall, put 2 plex doors in front of it and enhance it right+left to a third wall layer will already protect it from being seen yet leaving it accessible if you open the door, enter the gap and press your nose against it.