Gamemode ideas

Reaction score
    Heres my idea on gamemodes and changes to existing gamemodes. hope you find them good! (Overview at the bottom for the lazy readers)

Sandbox Gamemode

First of all: An enhanced tutorial.

Lets face, the tutorial at the moment is pretty dull, and considering its the first thing a new player's going to see when they enter the game it needs to be improved. What I propose is a new starting location, a center for all single player and multiplayer servers, the TGS (Trading Guild Spaceport). Put simply a planet with several buildings amenities and a launch pad on it. When the player first enters the game they will start the tutorial sequence this will be held in a flight training building at TGS. When you activate the tutorial you are transport to a simulation sector that will be unaccessible from the normal universe. Inside you will learn the basics of flight and combat. Perhaps with this mission sequence:

Mission 1: Learning to build

Mission 2: Learning to Fly

Mission 3: Learning to trade

Mission 4: learning to use the mission computer (explained in post)

Mission 5: Learning to Fight

Mission 6: Learning to Salvage

Mission 7 and 8 (optional): Learning to use advanced build mode and special items (pulsars etc.)

Mission 9?: Learning to use factories (optional)

Once you've completed these missions you will then be taken back to TGS where your inventory will be reset and you will be given the starting materials to go off and create your own universe! The tutorial can be skipped and you will be given all starting materials.

Mission computer.

This would be a block that when place on your ship allows you to access all "station communicator" blocks within range. This would open up a panel that lists various available missions these would be simple trade/battle missions for sandbox mode. You can then accept missions for a small fee (perhaps 5% of mission reward).

Mission examples:

Trading

-Deliver 300 stone to shop x (reward 4000c)

-Smuggle 200 AMC cannons to shop x (reward 6000c)

Battles

-Destroy (name) ship in sector x y z (will spawn in within nav range) (reward dependent on ship)

-Disable (name) ship in sector x y z (will spawn in within nav range) (reward dependent on ship)

Disabling ships

Simple really add a small damage period between when the core explodes and is fine and this will count as the ship being disabled (can no longer move), you then have a certain time period to enter the core before it goes into the normal overheat mode. In order to gain loot from a ship your would now need to disable it and board it. When you board a ship you then have an option to loot capture or destroy the ship. Loot and capture will have a percent chance of success depending on your ship mass, e.g.. A larger ship may have a 100% success rate, A ship the same size would have 70% and less for smaller ships. Possible equation: Success rate=(Mass of boarding ship/Mass of Boarded ship)x(1/4)+70 max at 100 min at 5. Failure to Loot/Capture will cause the core to go into overheat. Pirates would now disable instead of destroy.

The Station Communicator

This block would be a station only block. Whilst expensive it allows faction owners to set missions for their members, drawing reward money from a "faction bank", which when nearly empty disables missions that it cannot accommodate for.

Faction bank

This would be a panel under factions that you can deposit money into. The faction owner can set what rank can withdraw money from the bank. Faction members can see the funds in the bank.

NPC

Of course this would require NPC's to work, but only simple ones with a little dialog a patrol script and some mission starter scripts.

Well that's the sandbox mode.

TSG

This starting planet would contain all the essential amenities to start off the game:

-shop

-shipyard communicator

-Some NPC's

-A factory

-Mercenary Guild (place to hire NPC's to follow you as a fleet)

Shipyard Gamemode

A simple 3x3x3 sector universe where you get infinite items in your inventory and 2 sectors devoted to ship testing: they'll have ballistics and some hull targets that spawn in.

Career Gamemode

Petty much sandbox gamemode although more intricate missions and a limited universe size with 2 empires and pirates. perhaps 20x60x60 sectors. You work your way up the military ranks of either pirate or the two empires.

NPC's would be much more complex for example random empire ships patrolling sectors and hired mercenaries out to get you. As well as fleets for hire.

-no factions apart from the NPC ones

-no trading guild

-restricted items until you advance further in the storyline.

Hardcore

Pretty much the same as Sandbox, except everything costs more and missions are much harder. Pirates will destroy your ship rather than disable it.

-Everything costs more and missions are harder

-If you die the universe is deleted

-pirates destroy

I know some of this is not possible right now but I hope it helps schema with some ideas for future gamemodes. Hopefully the simple missions can be added to the sandbox gamemode pretty soon, as another way of making money, and the faction banks so that factions can easily use their resources. The Enhance tutorial should be possible to implement easily as it is just a spaceport, some sectors and a few mission scripts.

Overall

-Faction banks

-Disabling ships

-Simple NPC's

Sandbox

-Enhanced tutorial

-Simple Missions

Shipyard

-3x3x3 sector universe for creating ships.

Career

-Complex missions

-story (perhaps on how the Trading guild was formed - created unity between the two empires at war)

-20x60x60 universe

-Enhanced NPC's

Hardcore

-When you die the universe is deleted

-Harder missions

-Pirates destroy

(added disabling success rate and some ideas on hardcore mode.)

Reaction score
    I like this idea...especially the tutorial ones. For the other ones, while I would certainly like them, in my opinion they are not a neccesity. And also my own suggestion as a game mode: permadeath

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    +1 I would love to see this eventually added into the game! a hard core mode would be fun to (only one life)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    theseare some well thought out ideas, lets hope they take some notes and that we\'ll see this when it\'s due!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    not bad. the tutorials would help lots. lots of people dont even know about adv. build mode

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    These look good, especially the non-gamemode specific ones like faction banks.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In the latest dev, you seem to be able to accept Quests for the trading guild - if there would be a quest which you could accept.

Quests mean, that it is possible to make a tutorial where the player can choose the order in which he learns things.

You can talk to an NPC at spawn which may give you quests later - no communicator blocks jet.

Reaction score
    I think the tutorial would come really in handy, because currently I still don\'t know how to use factories and I\'m too lazy to look it up XD

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    red vs blue mode

https://star-made.org/content/red-vs-blue-mode

http://star-made.org/content/red-vs-blue-mode

http+S doesn\'t give me style-sheets.