Game makes cpu hot

Reaction score
    I'm not sure why but the game makes my cpu run hotter then usual no matter what size the ship is, settings are on low, framerate is fixed. When playing other games my cpu only gets 45-50c max and in Starmade it gets to be 53-57c.

Specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro
    Intel Core2 Duo e8400 @ 3ghz
    Nvidia GT640 @ 900mhz
    1gb x 4 ddr2 800mhz ram
    Western digital blue 1tb
    Antec VP-450 450watts
    2 Antec 3-speed fans (on speed 2)
    Arctic Freezer 7
    Arctic Silver 5

Reaction score
    The game is pretty heavy on the CPU, making it run harder and therefore hotter.

Do you have another CPU-intensive game (More than GPU) to compare?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    You're about 20-25 degrees below the maximal recommended temperature of that specific CPU model.

Reaction score
    You're about 20-25 degrees below the maximal recommended temperature of that specific CPU model.
    You are amazing. While I was being amused by the billionth person being frightened about their CPU temperature being cool instead of freezing, and thinking about a sarcastic reply, you actually looked that up?

Anyway. CPUs are designed to run hot. Applications can't break them by working them hard.

Reaction score
    My laptop's CPU exceeds 80 degrees playing other games. It is fine, but it is too hot to put on my lap :P

Usually your computer will "shut down" before taking damage (probably at 90-100 degrees).

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    The schine engine that the game uses is awesome at physics. That takes a good whack of more CPU than it does GPU (thanks JAVA). The GPU is using nice little cheats, shortcuts and pre-built hardware methods of handling lighting, particles and the like. Visual stuff. It's what they do. But for pure math crunching needed for proper physics calculations nothing beats out a good CPU. This is one of the reasons AMD based APUs tend to run hot-er since the GPU and CPU are on the same die and sharing a heatsink. But don't worry. Your BIOS will shut the whole machine off if it detects your GPU, CPU and, in some cases, your Memory or HDD get close to their heat tolerances... Which you are in no risk of (thanks kupu and Commodore ).

TL : DR; The game won't break your comp.

Last edited by a moderator: