Game failing to launch after update

Reaction score
    I currently have no Starmade launcher it seems, after update the only file I can find is the one called "Starmade" an executable jar file, when I click it I get an Illegal State Exception: Sorry, it doesn't work this way! Please start the game with the StarMade-Starter you downloaded.

No such file exists in the folder, that is the only file I can find that resembles a game starter.

Reaction score
    Okay so I used the search to find the launcher, and it was outside the Starmade folder, so I loaded it, it said "installation found" at the proper location of my game, said I have latest version, but when I hit Start Game, nothing at all happens?

So I tried moving it into the Starmade installation folder, and it now says it can't find my Starmade game installation?

Reaction score
    Tried re-downloading the entire game, new launcher, new install folder. Still wont load.

Guess I can't play Starmade anymore. :\

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Try downloading a new launcher, put it on a new folder, and install update manually.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Have you tried creating a predictable game state?
    Have you tried one of the third party launchers?
    Have you tried redownloading a separate copy of starmade-starter.exe

Screenshot the errors you get so we know what is wrong.
    And the starmade-starter.exe should be one directory up from your starmade folder.

and as for clicking the starmade.jar, that is the game itself, and needs arguments passing to it, so it can work like that.

Reaction score
    Predictable game state? No idea what that is. ^^
    Link me a third party launcher if you can, dunno where to get them.
    Downloaded a seperate copy of the starter, also re-downloaded entire game, still same issue.

I'm not getting any error (unless I click the Starmade.jar directly) just literally nothing happens when I hit Start Game on the launcher.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    I'll give it a go, thanks for the ideas.

So much for spending the day on my ship refits. >.<

Reaction score
    Also changed the title since the launcher location thing was just me being a derp.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Also changed the title since the launcher location thing was just me being a derp.
    The launcher MUST be outside the folder, it will be called: StarMade-starter, provided you have not edited the name.
    Highlighted is the executable file, the folder it runs Starmade from is starmade Folder structure.PNG

Reaction score
    Well, after digging around for a few hours I fixed it. It appears that defining an amount of memory to launch Java with in the system environment settings causes the game to refuse to launch.

Reactions: Wolfiy