Game Crashes when loaded at 100%

Reaction score
    I've been trying to solve this issue for months now, and I've done everything I've though of would work. Starmade worked great when I had a Windows XP to play on, but for Christmas I got a windows 8, which for some reason starmade refuses to work on. I first tried loading the game up a few more times. Then I tried running as admin. Eventually after hearing it a billion times, I realized what the problem was. I checked my Intel Graphics Driver for updates, and it told me to install the latest version of Java to run the test. I did that, and checked for Intel updates. Sure enough, there was one. I downloaded it. Did that fix the problem? Nope. I have a feeling there should be a log somewhere, but I can't find that, either. Does anyone know what's wrong?

EDIT: Found the log.

http://pastebin.com/Rjrym2J9

Last edited:

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Does your current copy still run on the windows xp machine? if not then your universe might have gotten borked.

Most Windows 8 included machines are have hardware compatible with Opengl 2.1. But you must have a driver that supports Opengl 2.1 100%. Not all intel drivers are properly compatible. Once you have the driver issue squared away you need to look at Java. IF you are using a 64bit version of windows you need the 64bit edition of java.

If your older machine can still run starmade and the new machine has a working opengl 2.1 driver and a properly matched java version then you can try linux. and that's a whole other set of instructions.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    did you test in on the XP machine? make sure it still runs ok.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Yeah your driver and Java are not getting along. Are you certain you have the 64bit version of Java installed?
    If not then I would recommend removing Java (Programs and Features control panel) and manually download and install Java 64.
    https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

If you are certain you have Java 64 you can remove it and try Java 32. In rare cases I've heard it actually works tho it shouldn't. This is likely caused by cute tricks used by Intel to pass WHQL certification. But I'd leave this as a last resort.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    no starmade will run out of which ever jvm you use. there is not '32bit' starmade. if you have a 32 java then it'll try to run 32 bit within a 64 bit os and that's a quick way to kill the buzz.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I'd hang around until someone has a working fix. It's help if we knew what intel graphics adapter version you have, I suspect it's the 4000.

Reaction score
    If SM is displaying "32 Bit" in the top bar despite having a 64 bit OS, you have a 32 bit installation of Java. For some reason that does happen very often on Windows 8.*. Remove all installations of Java and download a 64 bit JRE (it shouldn't matter if you're choosing Java 7 or Java 8) from here.

Reaction score
    I realized I am using 32 bit starmade, but I have a 64 bit system. Could that be the problem?
    If the game window says 32bit then you are running 32 bit Java. Also the log file states "24.65-b04 mixed mode windows-x86" x86 Tells me that this is running 32 bit java. Uninstall Java completely and re install 64 bit java using the link provided by WarSong : https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and Click Windows Offline (64bit), the run the EXE.

Reaction score
    If SM is displaying "32 Bit" in the top bar despite having a 64 bit OS, you have a 32 bit installation of Java. For some reason that does happen very often on Windows 8.*. Remove all installations of Java and download a 64 bit JRE (it shouldn't matter if you're choosing Java 7 or Java 8) from here.
    OMG THAT WORKED! Thank you guys so much! Not to mention Minecraft and other Java games I play work better too now that I have the correct version of Java!!!

Reaction score
    Also one more question: How do I change the window so it takes up the full computer screen without any weird empty spaces?

Reaction score
    when In game, press ESC, click "OPTIONS" The First check box will say "Full Screen" check it and press OK

Reaction score
    Choosing a window size equal or larger than the screen size should work, too. The game will automatically choose the window size that will fit the screen perfectly—on my system, at least.