Galaxies?

Reaction score
    From what I see in the map, there's only 27(3x3x3) galaxies, all on a grid. Is the map just not displaying the rest of them, and how far away are the other galaxies? Are they viewable on the map somehow?

D

Deleted member 433088

The map just doesn't display the rest. I've tried panning the sectors to the side and found stars in the black emptiness, so they're there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think the map only loads your current galaxy unless you change a setting in the .config, however, its not reccomended as it creates some load-time every time you open the map.

D

Deleted member 433088

I think the map only loads your current galaxy unless you change a setting in the .config, however, its not reccomended as it creates some load-time every time you open the map.
    Indeed, the default is for it to only show a single galaxy, else it takes too long to load. Since OP mentioned 27 galaxies, I assumed the "show more galaxies" option was enabled in their client.
    Still, it's just a display thing. It feels lonely, but those galaxies are all out there.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    It's just how many are shown at the moment with the show more galaxies option set. There are many many many more there you just can't see them in the map screen unless you scroll all the way across.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Considering the performance hit I encountered while loading up just the 27 galaxies, I wouldn't want to see any more. But yes they are there.

D

Deleted member 433088

Considering the performance hit I encountered while loading up just the 27 galaxies, I wouldn't want to see any more. But yes they are there.
    Agreed, though perhaps if the map "compressed" neighboring galaxies so it showed only one "cumulus" or "cloud" representing every 3x3x3 group of stars, and then the even farther ones so it only showed one for every 5x5x5, the performance hit would be much lesser while you would still be able to see the general shape of the universe. I'm no programmer though, just thinking aloud.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Agreed, though perhaps if the map "compressed" neighboring galaxies so it showed only one "cumulus" or "cloud" representing every 3x3x3 group of stars, and then the even farther ones so it only showed one for every 5x5x5, the performance hit would be much lesser while you would still be able to see the general shape of the universe. I'm no programmer though, just thinking aloud.
    Yeah but the universe is so big you would be seeing endless clouds. a grid of light that extended infinitely. Unless they started shaping the universe into clusters it wouldn't really be worth it.

D

Deleted member 433088

Yeah but the universe is so big you would be seeing endless clouds. a grid of light that extended infinitely. Unless they started shaping the universe into clusters it wouldn't really be worth it.
    Still, if this suggestion was implemented and found to work, there could be a cutoff of sorts, like 20 galaxies in each direction. and then perhaps a background suggesting more (the current black stuff is creepy). Most surely there's no way trying to display every possible galaxy in SM won't fry your vidya.