Galactic Combat League (GCL) Proposal

How many divisions should the FGCL be split into

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 50.0%

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Hey guys, its Splyntr. Most of you have not seen me for a while because of my education-caused hiatus, but im slowly edging back into the game. Recently, I was brainstorming and came up with an idea that would bring something new to StarMade. I now propose: The Galactic Combat League!

So the idea is based off of the booming success of the Thunderdome and Lightning Sphere. I thought, "Yeah, these are entertaining and fun to play in, but it has more potential." I thought, "Why not have an entire league based upon Thunderdome fights? Why just restrict it to prize fights?" It would take a good amount of work to put the system into place, but with enough participants, it could become popular. Here are the specifics.

LEAGUES: There would be two GCLs, the Faction GCL (FacGCL or FGCL) and Server GCL (ServGCL or SGCL). One could represent both their faction and their favorite server, depending if they are picked for the team. Factions would select players to compete in competitions and send said players to competitions accordingly. For Servers, it would be slightly different. Server admins/owners could select players, based either on performances for factions or performances on tryouts, to represent the server. Its similar to soccer (football) because the faction is the equivalent of your club, and the server your country.

SPECIALTIES: If you arent part of a faction, or want to make one specifically for competition, you can. The FGCL would fully support competition teams and treat them as they would faction teams.

TEAM REQUIREMENTS: Teams must have a color set for their ships, for both home and away. FGCL teams may want to use a symbol of their faction on the side of their ship, which they may. SGCL teams may also want a symbol, which is, again, allowed. Skin uniforms are not required, but they are allowed.

FGCL FACILITIES:
    MUST HAVES: A training facility. This facility must include: a combat room for training, a hangar, player accomodations (ex: their own rooms, storage, etc) a trophy room (use docks to dock trophies, make able to accomodate a trophy with following size: length 9, height 10, width 19) and a press room (for streaming/YouTube purposes, aka Interview room). A badge (you may use your faction symbol)

OPTIONAL: Official team yacht for travel between competitions. A "home dome" (make sure that these are in a safe place that wont lag the server to oblivion. FGCL teams are allowed to use SGCL domes for matches, for the sake of efficiency and lag prevention.) Sponsorships

SGCL FACILITES:
    MUST HAVES: A training facility (exact same requirements as FGCL facilities, just make sure you mark it as an SGCL facility. MUST BE ON YOUR HOME SERVER. A team from one server cannot have a training facility on another server). A "home dome" (only one per server, may be 500m to 900m in diameter). A badge.

OPTIONAL: A team yacht for travel between competitions. A flag. Scouts for potential players.

DOME REQUIREMENTS:
    MUST HAVES: Seating for spectators (as well as executive boxes) Parking lots (I dont care how you set this up, you can designate a place near the dome, you dont need a specific facility just for parking.) Door systems for competitor entrance. Commentator box.

OPTIONAL: Hall of fame. Advertisement spots.

CONSTRUCTION OF FACILITIES:
    SGCL: You may use designated server builders to build your facilities, as well as hire a shipyard or an on-server faction.
    FGCL: You may use your faction builders or hire a shipyard.

EXTRA-LEAGUE COMPETITIONS:
    If this becomes popular, I know some people will want to make competitions separate from the league. If you want to create one affiliated with the GCL, pm me for permission. If you want to create another league, do it yourself. Im not sanctioning any other leagues. I will only sanction Cup competitions. Take the example of the Champions League. Teams earn a place in the CL via placing well in their respective leagues. I like these kinds of competitions as they add an element of goal-setting to GCL, instead of just wanting to place well in the league.

INTERACTION WITH FOLLOWERS:
    Should this become popular, some people will follow different teams. It would be cool if the teams could interact with their followers. Start a YouTube, stream from Twitch, make a forum thread! I fully encourage teams to interact with their followers.

COMBAT SHIP REQUIREMENTS: Must be no bigger than 9x9 cubes. You are allowed to have 9x9 cubes, but not 9x10, 10x10 etc. No shields. No tracking missiles. When the weapons update comes out, beam weapons ARE allowed, before anyone asks. Pulsators are allowed. Both armor types are allowed.

SPONSORSHIPS:
    For those that want sponsors, these are allowed. Get a sponsor, and have them visit some of your matches. Make sure that your training facility and dome both have marks of your sponsors.

PROFFESIONALISM:
    Most people will go in this for the fun of it. A more lucrative choice (yet trickier) is in-game proffesionalism. Sponsors or team owners could pay players in any system of their choosing (performance based, per game, per hour of play). GCL salary cap is 10 million for any system of salary. Before you all go batshit crazy, this is in IN-GAME CREDITS, not real money.

TEAM REGISTRATION:
    League:
    Team Name:
    Players (must have at least nine, 1 for 1v1's 3 for 3v3s and 5 for 5v5s):
    Team Home Server:
    YouTube, Twitch, Forum Thread (if you have one):
    Sponsor (if you have one)

ALRIGHTY! If you want to create a team, nab some buds, fill out the form above, and post it as a comment! Questions are welcome!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Forgot to add this bit

SERVER REGISTRATION:
    Server Name:
    Server IP:
    Dome Location (sector):
    Contractor for Dome (if you are using one):
    Server Admin/Owner:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You dont say anything about what is the actual game about ;P

On which server these events happen

Reaction score
    The way it works is that you have battle cubes as described above. You fight to the death in a dome. As for the servers, it depends on who signs up!

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    What use would sponsors be?

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    ...the booming success of the Thunderdome and Lightning Sphere...
    You certainly have been away for a while.

Would your league require on-site time-limited building of the 9x9x9 combat ships before each fight? (I did not like that part - very slow with building and I tend to lean towards overly-complex builds)

There was also the Titan Sphere since then which was 700m in diameter and supported maxdim 34x34x34 combat ships and allowed tracking missiles but still no shields. Needed more rules though as it was possible to engineer over-powered ships with such free rein and significant ship size.

edited to correct grammer/meaning

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Actually, I have been an active StarMade player for over a year now, so I have been around for a decent time. And I'm still considering whether it should be onsite limited builds or blueprints, but I am leaning towards the blueprint side. As for the size of the sphere itself, the league is probably going to stick with a 700m in diameter, but the rules will be flexible. The size can be anywhere between 500m in diameter to 900m.

Reaction score
    The sponsors would use the league to promote their channels, as well as get a piece of the action. Im considering asking Mushroom Fleet to sponsor the entire league. Ive talked to Tomino and he loves the idea.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty Gold
    I'd suggest a forum badge like 'League Champion" or "League Winner" as a more enticing prize but now that I thought it through I don't see why badges would be more lucrative than credits. Just a thought.

Reaction score
    Thats a great idea mate! The thing is that I would have to talk to the actual staff of StarMade to get it approved, so that would be a bit of a stretch.