Future Playthroughs (Or, let's read the devs minds!)

Reaction score
    In perusing these fine forums, I have discovered that much of the community is in the dark about the fate of this game. "What is Starmade supposed to be," one paraphrased commenter asked "If not a sandbox space game?" In defending the development team, another said "They can't reveal their plans, other, larger teams might steal their ideas!"

What mysteries are in store? How can we possibly know? If only there were some clue as to what the devs have planned! Other sarcastic sentences that will inevitably be misread because it's impossible to modulate text!

What I'm getting at is this: We know a lot about what the developers of Starmade want the game to include. Actually, I would contend that we know basically everything, big picture wise, we need to be able to provide decent, well thought out suggestions that either A) fit within the current plans for the game, B) are an interesting way to possibly implement planned features, or C) Add something separate from the planned features without conflicting with them without being carbon copies of planned features.

And yet, There are still threads appearing wherein honestly frustrated players appear to be completely oblivious to these plans, wondering what the Developers are doing with their time, while others, sometimes equally apparently-oblivious, defend the development team blindly. I've been trying to think of some way to nip these threads in the bud, and this thread is my attempt to do just that, through the magic of micro fiction!

So feel free to comment with your short vignettes about life in the Starmadeverse (called the Frontier, unless I'm horribly mistaken) which highlight the planned features of the game. Because we might as well try it, and if it doesn't work, hey we entertained each other.

CAPTAIN AJAX AND THE MUTINEERS (Planned features: Crews, crew morale, mutinees, fauna)

Stranded. Alone. Left to die on a barren planet by his ungrateful crew. Captain Ajax shook his fist at the sky. Sure, the war had been rough. And maybe he should have taken the requests for station leave more seriously. But a mutinee? Well that seemed a little rough.

The captain heaved a sigh of resignation and set to work looking for useable ores. his suit's built in processor beam made short work of the rich stones he found accessable from the surface, and the extractor and fabricator soon saw him with a small, one room factory, complete with generators and, importantly, doors.

It had been hard work, and he reached upward to wipe his brow, suddenly noticing that the sun had almost set. He reached for his laser pistol instinctively, scanning the horizon for any sign of movement. How could he have been so careless? The first mate had warned him about the nocturnal predators on this planet. gigantic spiders whose hide was resistant to laser fire. He would need to hurry to complete his ship. He decided to skip the decal, just this once.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I see the future of starmade as something like a fusion of the good parts of tech-modded Minecraft combined with something like Wing Commander Privateer, plus a lot of unique things that set Starmade apart from any other game.

End of the Hunt (Planned features: Improved planets, Bounty System, cloaking/sensor improvements ...and a role-play server to boot!)
    I'd chased his sorry behind across twelve systems. Hired lackeys had nearly shot me down twice, and worse things awaited me on the surface. As I entered the atmosphere, I wondered if I had bitten off more than I could chew with this contract, and thought back to why I'd taken it in the first place. I had debts to pay. My sister's new arms and my father's new heart were due to be paid for in several cycles, as well as my own extensive augmentation package that I had taken on in preparation for this hunt.

It had been a desperate measure to be sure, but this was the only bounty available to non-guild hunters, and there was a good reason. The Bounty Huters' Guild normally had a monopoly in this part of the galaxy, but they had lost five of their best already and no longer wanted any part of it. The gunship I was flying was part of the bounty contract. Bag the target, and I'd keep the ship too. Not to mention I'd be rolling in dough - far more than my family needed. I knew I couldn't hope to bring down the target with my former skill, so I'd turned to heavy mechanical augmentation to make me faster, stronger, and more durable. I managed to get a non-inheriting loan so my family would be safe from more debt if I were killed in the attempt - not that it would help much. Loan corporations will repossess anything - even life-preserving implants.

I deployed my ship's atmospheric wings engaged the cloaking device, leaving little trace of my ship against the planet's green sky. 2 kilometers to landing zone. Suddenly my passive sensors started going crazy. Mafia scout drones everywhere, and they were hellbent on finding me. I had to take them down fast and get out before more gunships showed up. I armed the turrets, ionized the shields and dropped the cloaking device. Twelve drones. If I didn't take them down fast there'd be no next time. I locked multi-missiles on half of them and fired. Five of six missiles reduced their targets to shrapnel. Two crossed my twelve-o'clock and I shot them down with the main guns. The disabled drones exploded on the desert floor.

Three left, and they were a ways off my six. Long-range sensors picked up a power spike near my landing zone, likely gunships scrambling to make swiss cheese of me. I was out of time. I checked the range to the drones... yes, I could just make it out of their sensor range. I disengaged the shield boost and turrets. I engaged the cloaking device and overdrive, and slammed the throttle forward. The drones could still see me at first and they made chase. After a few seconds of maximum burn, I left their active sensor range. I was out of sight. I pulled a high-G turn using the ship's wings to change course. A few stressful seconds later I was sure of my escape and relaxed a little as the flight of enemy gunships whizzed past me. They had no idea I was there. I plotted a course for the landing zone without slowing down.

Less than a minute later I was there. I set the ship down at my planned landing site, taking care to leave the ship's cloaking and spoofing systems active. I had chosen a small, sandy valley sheltered by several mesas. I didn't want my only means of escape to be discovered. About 100 meters away, a shady-looking compound loomed against the sand. The world was about to have one less crime lord to worry about.

Reactions: TheWurm