Future Music Trigger Suggestions/Question

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    The recent Dev Q&A included this:
    "Q: Do You plan sound/music update or some sort of competition/collaboration in the near future?

SCHEMA: "I definitely do want some more sound work soon. For music I will announce when that is going to come for every musician to send us music for the game, and then we will decide.""

As an amateur musician, I am extremely excited to hear about this upcoming possibility to challenge my own music making skill as well as possibly share to a different audience than normal :)

This has brought up a few questions in my mind. I think it would be helpful if Schema or the Devs could begin conveying some information in terms of how they think music will/should be incorporated in this game.

First and foremost in my mind is what situations will trigger music? On the off chance that this hasn't been thought of in too much detail, I would like to make some suggestions on Music Triggers for the game:

Recommendations for Triggers that may Cause Specific Music to play:
    -Opening Screen (awaiting player to hit "Spawn")
    -Death (awaiting player to hit "spawn")
    -Build Mode
    -- possible sub-category triggers to base music on mass of the ship/station currently being built (larger builds could have stronger music while smaller ones could have more simple music associated with them)
    -Space Exploration
    -Hostile Encounters
    -- possible sub-categories to base the music off of the size of the ship being piloted
    -Planet Exploration
    -- possible sub-category triggers to allow different music based on the planet type
    -near a Derelict Spacestation
    -near a Trading Guild Spacestation
    -near a allied/self-owned Spacestation
    -Within the Gravitational Pull of a Black Hole/Wormhole
    -in a starless sector (i.e. not in a Galaxy)
    -using salvage beams (mining!)

These are just some ideas I threw together off the top of my head. It seems like a large portion of how effectively music can add to the game will be based not only around the music itself but around exactly how applicable that music is to the situation the player is in. Having a better idea of what situations Schema wants music in will better help Starmade's musical sub-community begin preparing to do our part ;)

So my suggestion is two-fold:
    1) Schema and/or Devs start feeding us some information on anticipated triggers for music.

and

2) Possibly consider the above list if there hasn't been a whole lot of thought on the subject.

Respectfully,
    Mr. V (vocalist of Vestigial Remorse and Ostiary)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Zeno9141
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Yes, yes, and more yes. Good to see more individuals who are also looking to create music, of the starmade kind. :3

Reactions: Mr. V