Fully Programmable Computers Suggestion

Reaction score
    i like Block code like in lego mindstorm it is simple but when(if) it is implemented it will need a simple tutorial.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I say that the language lua should be used because while it would not be easy for non-programmers to use it, a block based programming language would not be nearly as powerful as a script one. And for those who say that the coders will then rule the StarMade servers, you may be right for a while. But eventually people will put their codes in forums to share with others, and there will be Youtube tutorials on how to code in StarMade.

So in short I think that Lua would likely be the best because of what you will be able to do with it. And yes people will share their codes to others and even teach them how to code themselves, so you do not need to worry about that.

Any way, that was a long explaination of my thoughts, and Oblivifrek this is a GREAT idea I REALLY hope that it gets added to the game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'d personally prefer a text adventure style prompt, preferably one that\'s very sarcastic when you give it an instruction it\'s not programmed to do. While proper programming languages are flexible, I personally feel that it would be more amusing to see players struggle to deal with a useful but hard to manage sarky AI via command prompt. Or have Clippy return from the grave, merged with Hal.

>OPEN PODDOORBAY_1

\"You appear to be trying to open the pod door bay, Dave. Would you like some help with that?\"

Reaction score
    This would be hilarious. If we don\'t get programmable computers I would very much like this. Heck, I\'d go out of my way to program a snarky AI if we do. I would like one part Clippy, one part HAL, and two parts the computer from Courage, the Cowardly Dog myself...

The one thing I really dislike about this suggestion is it tries too hard to emulate Minecraft mods. In addition, the sheer number of blocks involved for making a computer, and the associated items, are wildly anachronistic for a space-faring civilization. I mean really, floppy disks and memory units that take a whole cubic meter to store 8KB? When the BOBBY AI seems to function perfectly as just a single block? Why not just make the BOBBY able to accept custom programs?

Lua or some other lightweight scripting language would probably be best, and if it came with some built-in default programs for non-programmers to use it would be fairly balanced, I think. Not to mention when factions are involved there\'s bound to be a programmer or two in each one, so kind of a moot point there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Using this could you divert all energy from your shields and put them in your guns for an energy surge that increases dmg and fire rate. And vice versa. Also when ur traveling you can divert energy to engines for them same effect. Could that work?

Reaction score
    I definitely agree with this. One of my most proud creations in Minecraft was a functional spaceship. At the core was an amazing computer with a monitor setup for the control room. The computer was sophisticated enough (after programming for days) to display the ships status on the screen. I could see what the energy level of my batteries was, if my shields were on or off, and I could turn on \"red alert\" which turned on the shields and activated red lights across the ship. It was so cool. I even had a block that played epic music during red alert. Man that was cool.

If only we could get that in this game. It would also be cool if there was a sort of custom interface for it. Maybe even have the ability to access the StarMade community within the computer console. Maybe have a StarMade chat on the computer as well. Just some thoughts.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    i can see (some) upsides to this idea but i see more downs then the ups with this

-if what you are saying is anything like garry\'s mod wire mod expression 2 this would be very bad for new players or old ones as well sence for those who know how to do lua could in theory shut down everything on your ship and or take full control of it without even going into it that would mean anyone in it would be totally at the mercy of the would be hacker but this system could have potential to have more damaging uses like making scripts that could make missles go far beyond their limits like damage and range and even make a script that would alow you to shoot anyone with any wepon even the dumb fire rockets at any distance and be 100% accurate on the core block and last point is making a script that could cause the server to lock down in a way that makes it impossible for anyone to do anything in game and even block the host from deleting the ship with the script.

with that said if its even possible to block hacking on servers and above said it would still be a thing that can cause instability of the game on meany different levels

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    As Fifthdread was sort of saying, the ability to give lights custom ids and reference them in programs would be amazing. If one could do something along the lines of synching lights to the charging of power to be used for a large weapon, it would be very cool, but that\'s just one instance of what the ability to control individual lights could do.

Reaction score
    mabye C++ for advanced users and LUA for new ones, and newer ones could use SCRATCH style programming