Full-strength shields not stopping all damage to turrets?

Reaction score
    So I built myself up a nice small-size cruiser complete with turrets and all the goodies for taking hits at pirate stations. I knocked out 3 stations and my shields didn't go below 90%. Awesome.

I got back to homebase to do some upgrades and tweak some internals and was surprised to see my turret had some missing and damaged armor/system chunks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a weapons effect (piercing/puncture/etc) that can get through shields and damage hulls directly, and ship protection of turrets doesn't cease until the ship is below 50% shielding? Or am I mistaken in the recent-ish updates?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You are right while the main ship shields is above 50% the hits on any docked entity whose shields can't handle the hit will pass it up the chain to the main ship. Some of us have tested this a bit so it should be working. The one unlikely thing I can think of was if the main ship shields can't absorb the full damage of the hit then its not transferred up the chain to it. But its really unlikely as you had shields that stayed above 90% then it should be more than enough to absorb hits that hit the turrets.

Like wise if a hit is small enough that the turrets built in shields can absorb it then the hit will be absorbed by the turret shields unless its to big then it tries to pass it up the chain. But if that happens it still has shields so won't take block damage.

Reaction score
    Star/heat damage?
    Didn't go anywhere near a star, which is why I'm still incredibly perplexed.

As for shielding on the turret, each turret had at least 75k shields each, iirc ( I scrapped the entire ship to reallocate blocks )

I'll run more trials and see if the problem repeats.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be keeping a closer eye on my equipment from now on

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Shields likely went under 50% at some point and you just didn't notice being the only reason I can think of.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Are you still using the old turret dock system as opposed to the new rail system?

The old turret docks are still in the game to provide backwards compatibility, but they don't get the shared shields of rail based turrets.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    Are you still using the old turret dock system as opposed to the new rail system?

The old turret docks are still in the game to provide backwards compatibility, but they don't get the shared shields of rail based turrets.

No sir, using current modules, so current mechanics should be in effect.

I scrapped the entire ship and have started over altogether. If the problem arises I'll find another way to combat it