Full 24 way computer/display module rotation

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm working on a ship build that has the decks perpendicular to the direction of thrust, so that to a person on the bridge, thrust direction is up. All the computers and displays come in sideways because of this. Can we please get full 24 position rotation on these blocks?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I also ran into this while building my Clarke Explorer. The Clarke Explorer is also built parallel to the thrust vector. I would definitely like to see this implemented. From what I understand, the dev team is having trouble rotating animation and displays around the face. I think this is because, due to the nature of updating animated textures, they are applying the texture without rotating it with a matrix transform (technically, a series of transforms, depending on rail structure). So for things like displays and animated blocks, even if they got that first frame rotated correctly with the block in one of the four rotations around the face, subsequent frames would overwrite the texture without the correct rotation. And because displays can use constantly-updating data (shields and power), it's effectively an animated texture.

http://starmadedock.net/content/clarke-explorer.2803/

Edit: It might be a limitation with the Lightweight Java Game Library, upon which StarMade is based. It might be worth the time of some intrepid soul checking out the LWJGL source code and looking at how animated textures are applied. That might also be where the unrelated Z-buffer problem (stuff going invisible behind glass) might be fixed as well.

Last edited:
    Reactions: RoAnnon
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    In the mean time you can use a docked entity to position the computers however you want, however if those computers are to provide a function like weapon control or the displays ability to show shield and power you are stuck.

If making the displays function in all orientations is not possible I would suggest allowing the display to get shield and power info from other entities, other than the one it is attached to, by including the ship id in with the [shield] [power] [shieldcap] [powercap]. This would allow a workaround by using docked entities to flip screen orientation however desired. This would be helpful for monitoring within the command bridge on the flag ship of your fleet should they get implemented.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    And with a quick rewrite of the output you can now see the enemy stats too! Just no.

I like the idea on general principle, but it need better implimentation.

Reaction score
    And with a quick rewrite of the output you can now see the enemy stats too! Just no.

I like the idea on general principle, but it need better implimentation.
    You already have that information and more on the HUD's target readout, so it's not too much of a security hole. Still I agree there should be some kind of access control.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I have to agree, I have ran into the same issue with naming storage chest using display's - and because of the vectoring, they have vertical displays, while I can read vertical, its quite annoying.