FTL/Translightdrives/Slipspace drives/warp/ wormhole drives and stargates

???

Reaction score
    this is a list of all of the ways faster than light travel has been done

you could build stargates connecting 2 points together and just make a network of them connecting your planets together like on EVE

or a translight/drive slipspace drive that opens a portal that lets you and any ship quick enough to follow you to a sector that has been entered into the navigation area like on HALO

or an FTL Jump drive where you enter a sector number and you are taken there instantely like on battlestar galactica

you could even use the natural slipspace entrypoints with a wormhole drive

or a warp drive that creates a warp bubble around your ship that you can use to warp a whole fleet to a set sector these are all good ideas

or you could have all of them and have differant factions using differant ones (the same way differant species would have differant technologies)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Would you mind looking over my take of this that I posted a few weeks ago:
    http://star-made.org/content/warp-gates-worm-holes

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the galactica approach,however this should only happen if you have spun up the ftl drives,this takes power and tillium. (we could use lava)

also it could be more exaxt the more you calculate it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This method does not depend on the player visiting the sector beforehand.
    I would rather have a method that requires the player to place a complicated device on the target location.
    Either an object that allows a ship to warp to it (like a beacon), or a device that serves like a warpgate, needing an origin device as well.

TL;DR You can only warp to places you\'ve been before (and left a device for warping to)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    the 5 by 5 by 5 limit is a good approch and i also sugest that the Drive need fuel that you will have to buy, or make yourself. Within Eve-online massive capital ships have there own drives as they are too large to use the gates to go from system to system, and you have to lock onto a specail field in the target location. Have an ally there unable to do anything for 15 minutes while this jump feild is active. There is also limits on how far you can jump, tha tis adjustable with skills. maybe we can use extra blocks that you need to make. And it uses like 3/4 of the ships capacitor (energy) and uses fuel lots and lots of fuel. That fuel comes from ice that is mined from ice astroids, and belive me i have sat there for hours stairing at an ice astorid mining ice for my dreadnaught. The ice takes forever to mine just one piece and its soo large cargo wise and you need so much ice to make even a little fuel.

So i sugest for the \"jump drive\" to work you\'ll need fuel for the jump, the more sectors you go the more fuel you\'ll need. And you must have someone or a device there that you can jump to.

For example, Your in a large ship, and you are near your base. At your base there is an active jump becon. Once you get within say 5 sectors of your base(the device) your able to jump there provided you have fuel and power to make it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    For Bsg it would require you have good cordinates or you could jump into the sun,also the need for fuel makes it less op, also a star trek type ftl would mean you could travel millions of blocks a second.

Galactica method also makes fleet movement easier.

Also if you have bad co ordinates it will be an inaccurate jump.