Friction!

Reaction score
    We are in space so why friction exist in starmade? Sometimes i just want that my ship goes in a direction without keeping my finger on the W button.. so how to solve it? I think a key to temporary remove friction on the ship you're piloting may not be a bad idea. So if you want or not friction on your ship (or astronaut mode?) you only press a key

Reaction score
    I think of it as a Inertia Dampening system doing its job, but a key to disable friction for a single ship sounds like a good idea but one that is tricky to implement.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    In the server.cfg file, change this line
    Code:
    PHYSICS_LINEAR_DAMPING = 0.05 //how much object slow down naturally (must be between 0 and 1): 0 is no slowdown
    to
    Code:
    PHYSICS_LINEAR_DAMPING = 0 //how much object slow down naturally (must be between 0 and 1): 0 is no slowdown

Reactions: CactusPungente

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We are in space so why friction exist in starmade? Sometimes i just want that my ship goes in a direction without keeping my finger on the W button.. so how to solve it? I think a key to temporary remove friction on the ship you're piloting may not be a bad idea. So if you want or not friction on your ship (or astronaut mode?) you only press a key
    Because without friction, your ship would drift forever.

Now, that sounds good to you at first, but what about when your ship is going full speed and you accidentally hit R and instead of putting you in your cockpit it drops you into space? Kiss your ship goodbye, it was going the speed limit and will now never stop, and you can't build a ship fast enough to catch it.

Did you have to log out in a hurry and left your ship undocked? Well congrats, a griefer came by and rammed it. Its now lost in the interstellar void because it never stopped.

There are a lot of hugely negative downsides to true frictionless space.

Reaction score

Now, that sounds good to you at first, but what about when your ship is going full speed and you accidentally hit R and instead of putting you in your cockpit it drops you into space? Kiss your ship goodbye, it was going the speed limit and will now never stop, and you can't build a ship fast enough to catch it.

Did you have to log out in a hurry and left your ship undocked? Well congrats, a griefer came by and rammed it. Its now lost in the interstellar void because it never stopped.

There are a lot of hugely negative downsides to true frictionless space.
    When you press R, unless you press SPACEBAR after, you are automatically aligned to the movement of your ship, so you won't be lost in endless space. For the second problem you suggested it could be solved like this: as AI works only if you are outside the computer's controlled turret/ship, nofriction key works only if you are inside that ship, so if you exit it, the ship will regain it's lost friction and will slowly reduce it's speed.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When you press R, unless you press SPACEBAR after, you are automatically aligned to the movement of your ship, so you wont be lost in endless space.
    Maybe its supposed to work that way, but it doesn't always happen.

Just the other day this happened to me. Hit the wrong button, fell out of the ship entirely, ship just kept on going all by itself. Made a quick 3 block pod and chased it down to where it stopped a few kilometers later.

Reaction score
    Maybe its supposed to work that way, but it doesn't always happen.

Just the other day this happened to me. Hit the wrong button, fell out of the ship entirely, ship just kept on going all by itself. Made a quick 3 block pod and chased it down to where it stopped a few kilometers later.
    Uhm, maybe that's a bug or the server disabled that.. also when you try to exit from your ship usually a popup comes out, saying "are you sure you want to exit?" and then you have to press a button on the screen. Clicking the wrong button and being lost in the depth of space happened a lot of times for me in the previous versions of the game, but now they should have fixed that issue

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Uhm, maybe that's a bug or the server disabled that.. also when you try to exit from your ship usually a popup comes out, saying "are you sure you want to exit?" and then you have to press a button on the screen. Clicking the wrong button and being lost in the depth of space happened a lot of times for me in the previous versions of the game, but now they should have fixed that issue
    I have literally never seen that.

Also, I like to farm pirates for blocks. Pirates don't tend to like to sit still while you kill them, so when they die they're moving at speed. If they went shooting off forever it would be bad not only for me not being able to harvest them, it would be bad for the server because the overheat timer only runs when there is someone in the sector to watch it run. If there is no friction, you'd have pirate ships shooting through the universe forever that the server has to keep track of.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2

Actually, you can catch it. Overdrive defensive effect or Offensive stop effect. Or jump to the sector in front of it's path and prepare to catch it there.
    Besides, any ships that drift far enough will eventually stop once they reach an unloaded sector.
    You can't be ejected from your ship anyway because you automatically are synced to your ship's orientation (and travel along with it) whenever you exit the ship core. You would have to deliberately try to get off your ship in order for losing it to occur.
    You also have the ability to turn on warning popups if you are traveling at a certain speed, so as to avoid accidentally exiting the core in the first place.
    If you accidentally dismount your ship and have a grappler, quick reflexes and decent aim can ensure you are back onboard within a few seconds.
    Also, crashing or logging out will not affect that either because you automatically spawn back at your ship when you relog.

So you see the chances of you being completely ejected from your ship when its traveling at top speed is extremely unlikely nowadays, and even when it does happen there are a variety of ways you can retrieve it.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441389568,1441389496][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I have literally never seen that.
    Also, I like to farm pirates for blocks. Pirates don't tend to like to sit still while you kill them, so when they die they're moving at speed.
    Equip your ship with a stop effect weapon.

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can't be ejected from your ship anyway because you automatically are synced to your ship's orientation (and travel along with it) whenever you exit the ship core. You would have to deliberately try to get off your ship in order for losing it to occur.
    Let me say this again.

This is 100% false.

It happened to me just the other day. I went to hit E, hit R by mistake. I not only exited my core without prompts, it dropped me off completely outside of the ship, unsynced, and not in the ship's gravity. The ship proceeded on it's merry way without me.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Let me say this again.

This is 100% false.

It happened to me just the other day. I went to hit E, hit R by mistake. I not only exited my core without prompts, it dropped me off completely outside of the ship, unsynced, and not in the ship's gravity. The ship proceeded on it's merry way without me.
    Maybe you are playing on an older version and don't realize it, or on a server where that function is somehow disabled. But auto-syncing you when you hit R so you don't fall out of your ship when it's moving is a normal feature of the current gamestate. I experience it all the time. If you want I can upload video footage of me doing it on various servers and on SP.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe you are playing on an older version and don't realize it, or on a server where that function is somehow disabled. But auto-syncing you when you hit R so you don't fall out of your ship when it's moving is a normal feature of the current gamestate. I experience it all the time. If you want I can upload video footage of me doing it on various servers and on SP.
    I'm playing on an up to date server with all defaults enabled.

I know its SUPPOSED to do that, and that MOST of the time it does that, but not all the time. Most of the time when I get out of the core, it drops me in my cockpit. Sometimes it drops me off on top of the exterior of the ship. No rhyme nor reason as to which one happens or when.

I'm glad you've never had it glitch, but that doesn't mean everyone is so lucky.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm playing on an up to date server with all defaults enabled.

I know its SUPPOSED to do that, and that MOST of the time it does that, but not all the time. Most of the time when I get out of the core, it drops me in my cockpit. Sometimes it drops me off on top of the exterior of the ship. No rhyme nor reason as to which one happens or when.

I'm glad you've never had it glitch, but that doesn't mean everyone is so lucky.
    Go into your settings, by default the popup detach warning only triggers when you're moving at 50% server speed, I have mine set to 10%.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Playing with friction off is far more entertaining and interesting than playing with it on. Yes there are still some wanted features to make it better. (Like my parking break idea)

It is also not that hard to catch a ship that flew away even by some off chance you forced your self off of it. Hell make a 4x4 pad of rails on the back end of it and any small ship with a rail docker can land on it and get you inside to stop it.
    Then you also have plenty of fancy methods for stopping a ship.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Just sit on the floor or something before entering your core; you will ALWAYS come out aligned then. The default exit position finding system is not trustworthy; sitting overrides it.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Instead of turning dampening (or "friction") off, why not make a cruise control with some push effect modules on a loop? Then you could be standing in your ship without being in the core. You can also make the loop get jammed up after a while so it doesn't float away forever, just you'll need a button that makes the loop start again. ;)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Bad solution; even at 0% friction unloaded sectors will stop a drifting ship; it will not stop a 'pushing' ship.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Bad solution; even at 0% friction unloaded sectors will stop a drifting ship; it will not stop a 'pushing' ship.
    Hence the loop has to be made to stop working after a small while.
    You can also make the loop get jammed up after a while so it doesn't float away forever, just you'll need a button that makes the loop start again. ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    No-friction was once a thing. It was taken out because players would loose ships, and a lot of constantly moving objects that can't be caught start hogging up server power. And like others said, it also makes harvesting pirates/killed ships more difficult.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    No-friction was once a thing. It was taken out because players would loose ships, and a lot of constantly moving objects that can't be caught start hogging up server power. And like others said, it also makes harvesting pirates/killed ships more difficult.
    Yeah, but now that there are literally half a dozen safeguards and prevention/recovery mechanisms in place for the loss-of-ship emergency, the no-friction should be re-enabled by default IMO.