Fresh player feedback

Reaction score
    Hi everyone, new player here !

Since this game has been available for a while, I thought feedback from a fresh player perspective could be interesting. Disclaimer :
    - I took notes as I was discovering the game, so great wall of china text incoming
    - I often discovered that problems with the game had their origin right between the chair and the keyboard. While I tried to avoid that, it still can be the case for some of the points here as I only recently got internet access back for digging in the wiki.
    - Of course, it's just personal feedback
    - I'm no native english speaker and hope I won't cause any retina fracture :-p

My first thought : that's the game I was waiting for since I grew up too old for playing technic lego ! And I dont fear walking on the parts.

Building

The building system is nicely done, especially the advanced building mode : it's simple yet efficient and convenient. The only problem is the wedge/hepta intersection, but workarounds are easy and it would require weird blocks which would probably be seldom used.
    I'm looking forward to the upcoming update, since it seems to adress lots of what I wished was in the game ( painting instead of replacing blocks one by one on complex shapes, filling, cargo connections...)

Wishes / regrets :
    • No block for remote access to the core, not being able to move the core. Maybe I'm just dumb, but even with some prior planification, the core always ends up in the way of a moving part, in a bulkhead, out of the wheelhouse and so on.
    • Builder help tools are handy, but autofill would be nice (restriction and 10^3 cubes spam is not that tedious, though)

• I've seen the power update proposals and I'm 100% fine with the change : actual power system is a nightmare to optimize with small/medium ships. Or I just go for a L somewhere, connected to a line of power cube across the whole ship... Which means it's on my way on the whole ship. The actual system is rather fun to play with on stations or planets where place and shape is not a problem, but I guess that two different systems would be confusing.

• The thrusters system is rather counter-intuitive : that the amount of thrust determines the speed cap in space, rather than acceleration only, feels a bit weird. It also obliges you to have gigornormous thrusters for "high density" ships like miners, even if you would have been fine with a low acceleration.

Maybe a PvP gameplay balance choice ?

• The copy/paste selection is a bit wonky, I generally have to toy around with remove/add modes
    • No biggie, but to save the hotbar in creative for a session would be appreciated. I generally only use creative to test logic blocks and I almost spend as much time filling the hotbar than actually testing.

• A tickbox for paste with xy/xz/yz mirror would come in handy. Let's say I made a moving hatch on one side and want the same on the other side, my actual way is to spawn the entity, copy the hatch, delete it, enable symetry, calculate where I should paste the hatch to have its mirrored counterpart at the right position, put blocks as a paste "support" at the right place, paste, remove symetry and finally delete the non mirrored hatch and "paste support".
    • Just a detail, but I feel like mirroring the rotators when using symetry would save a bit of time
    Logic

I had a blast using the logic system : it's powerful, yet simple and intuitive (once you get the basics) due to the "block only" orientation. My favorite part of the game so far !

Wishes / regrets :
    • The ***** ****** ****** ***** bordel ****** **** ** ** gran puta *** ***** ****** ** satan's anus ***** **** scheisse ****** painu helvettiin *** *** slaves logic blocks not showing their master blocks ! :mad:
    Now, I'm fine with everything else. But when I have a somewhat complex logic system, place a logic block somewhere, do a misclick or forget to unselect before going back on the system, I spend :
    • 10 minutes to understand the origin of the problem when I activate the system and it does weird things
    • 10 minutes going back and forth selecting all the logics one by one and checking the suspiscious block
    • eventually give up, delete the suspiscious block
    • if I didn't write comments on display, spend 10 minutes to remember how the damn thing was supposed to work and where the blocks I have to link are
    • Realize that this block wasn't the problem
    • Inner yell, close the game and decide that the cadets will clean the floor with a toothbrush today
    Not even speaking about how easy it is to debug a system... Sometimes I just have to do a bit of debugging, but just to think about the pain in the ass it can become, I close the game.

This is especially true for a beginner like me who discovers and learns the system : I did a couple of ragequits and even uninstalled the game at one time.
    So, seriously, please, I beg of you, do something and I'll give you my youngest kid. Just red blinking master cubes and maybe thin lines of the right color between the selected block and its slaves/masters would be perfect. :)
    • Something I also felt was lacking, is an option to hold a key for going link mode : I happened a couple of times to start a new logic circuit with a master module already selected, without noticing because I was focused on thinking about the new system. Then I select a new module and see previous point. Dumbassproofing is always welcome.
    • Speaking of debugging, but not sure wether it's a bug or if I do something wrong, I often want to check to which rails my rail+button is attached, only to find out that no blinking cube is showing anymore while they are still linked and the button is selected.
    • The "once you get the basics" part : for instance, the rotation control via the addition of activation module is simple, intuitive and efficient... once you know it. In my particular case, I had no internet access and discovered that function thanks to a misclick. A list of the logic block with short description like "rotator : rotates entity docked on it, connect to up to nine activator for 45° of rotation each" would come in handy while letting us toying around to discover the way it works.

Now, it's alpha and having no internet access isn't the most common thing.

• The trigger block doesn't react to entities docked on a rail or rotator and I really wished that was a thing, particularly for rotators.

I currently use button attached to the rotator and logic to know the position of the rotator.

The problem is that the lag due to autosaving or mobs spawns during movement can mess with those systems. Also, if the docked entity moves a bit and comes back to its previous position because it's blocked by something, it will send an impulsion as well. If that rotator is in the middle of a long sequence of multiple entities movement, it can become one hell of a mess. And I currently don't know any way to get the real position, except through the use of a "probe" sliding on a rail equiped with activation modules or buttons. Which isn't exactly convenient.

Using a trigger block as a "limit switch" would allow us to create a jogwheel and easily receive feedback on each position or get a reference position. To detect every docked structure would also unlock quite a few interesting possibilities with both rotators and rails.

• A "dimmer" block would be interesting, performing the same duty than button+rail/rotator and allowing us to change the color of the light. I really miss that feature with logic, as a light with different colors for the steps condition would really add a lot of readability.
      Another problem is space : a structure with, say, a door and a 2x2 light block with red, green, orange, white/red blinking for occupied, free, locked, open/close sequence, already needs a 8x2 space. Same for interiors : on my first ship, I would have liked to have a pannel with the gear condition : extended, retracted, failure, but I would have had to make it 3 times larger, so I could only go for on/off/blinking.
      It would probably almost negate the need of producing coloured lights, but the production is marginal compared to hulls.

I really hope that it could come with paints.
    Generally speaking

The huge universe, planets, asteroids, station is amazing ! AI ships look nice, the shops, faction already gives life to it, even if it's WIP. The map is rather easy to use.

Wishes / regrets :
    • The sun damage effect is a nice addition, now it could be a lil' bit more progressive: I discovered this feature when I received the warning with my first mining ship and immediately reversed, still I made my way back home with only the rear half part of the ship :^D

• The spawn system could use something like a maximum total mass to load at once and the pirates blueprint "stealing system" should be explained to the player. I had a hard time with mass spawns of my relatively large miner ship filled to the hatch with logic and moving parts, which is also unarmed... So, gang-ramming time.
      I swear to god I heard my computer calling for dry ice and morphine. Took me a while to figure out that I could disable it.
    • Speaking of ramming, is the pathfinding not implemented yet or WIP ? I build a ship in merchant sector to benefit of their protection and periodically find myself having an additional thruster in the form of an AI ship stuck in my ass. I also experience massive framerate drops when they go Kylie Minogue, spinning around like crazy (bug section or WIP I guess, though. And sorry for the reference :-p)

• The antistuck fonction is still a mystery for me (works randomly, sends me inside another block cluster...). But not that of a problem since I lately discovered the wonderful cycle core up key.
    Conclusion : I'm amazed by the endless possibilities, am fond of the logic system and looking forward to updates ! Most of what I feel as problems don't prevent a nice experience of the game, but really, not showing the master blocks is laying bear traps in front of someone learning how to walk.

I'm still going for simple civilian ships and planets only for learning the ropes, I'll give a (much shorter) feedbak once I start toying around whith stations and all those nice weapons/shields/cloaker/etc.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Yeah, AI pathfinding is simply not there (or at least it doesn't work as it should) and the AI generally goes derp very often, while this has some hilarious results ("Whee! Thunk! Thunk! Thunk!" and "Look daddy, I'm dancing!") it's also really annoying especially if you have a lot of drones trying to execute the same command.

You can have "Remote access" to build functions through a build block, but that's it at the moment. Using a build block grants access to build mode for multiple users, so you can even collab with your pals when building stuff (placing and entering a build block must be done when the core of the ship is not in use, because the system doesn't allow modification of the ship from outside the ship if it's occupied).

As for remote core access, such a function is planned, but it's not worked on actively at the moment.

Reaction score
    Wow, for some reason, I though that build block was an alternative to cores for building on planets and thus could only be used on them ! That's really good to know, it will save me a lot of time from going back and forth from the core to connect wireless modules and ease up access to docked entities' cores.

And thanks to you, my next step is now to have a look on drones and buid a dancefloor.

Reaction score
    Wow, for some reason, I though that build block was an alternative to cores for building on planets and thus could only be used on them ! That's really good to know, it will save me a lot of time from going back and forth from the core to connect wireless modules and ease up access to docked entities' cores.

And thanks to you, my next step is now to have a look on drones and buid a dancefloor.
    Build blocks can be used on any build you wish to use them on. Usually they are used to build on stations and planets. Stations do not have a core at all, they have a seed block you buy when you create a station in-game (press P to found a station, usually this takes a lot of credits (1 million in a plain vanilla game, varies from server to server)). This seed block acts as the start point for a station, and it's also where the station's nav marker will reside, it doesn't have any functions other than that, and is otherwise identical to a single block of Grey standard armor.

In order to access proper build tools on a station, you need a build block on the station. Like with other entities, you can use multiple build blocks in a station, to facilitate multiple builders or have easy build mode access around the station.

Reaction score
    Build blocks can be used on any build you wish to use them on. Usually they are used to build on stations and planets. Stations do not have a core at all, they have a seed block you buy when you create a station in-game (press P to found a station, usually this takes a lot of credits (1 million in a plain vanilla game, varies from server to server)). This seed block acts as the start point for a station, and it's also where the station's nav marker will reside, it doesn't have any functions other than that, and is otherwise identical to a single block of Grey standard armor.

In order to access proper build tools on a station, you need a build block on the station. Like with other entities, you can use multiple build blocks in a station, to facilitate multiple builders or have easy build mode access around the station.
    Great informations, thanks for the clarification !

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm impressed. It's not often someone new to the forums makes a post this good.

All that you've said is spot on, and has been being discussed quite a bit by players and developers. In particular, I know that some means of moving the core or controlling the ship from another block is on the dev's to-do list. It's also worth noting that weapons computers can be used to control their weapons systems, although last time I tried this they couldn't access camera blocks, if you wanted to, for instance, have a friend control one of your weapon systems, you would have to put the computer somewhere where they could aim it from.

Welcome to the SMD, live long and don't go to the factions subforum without a fire suit.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the kind words, even though facts checking and trying to be consructive seem common sense. The community looks really friendly and ready to help too : that's why I registered instead of just lurking when I have some troubles, like I usualy do with other games.

The control from weapon computer thing dosent seem to be in the wiki. That's some interesting piece of information !

I only went for solo up to now, but I'm just adding the final touch to a didactic version of my first ship (well, and only ship, since my second ship, the glorious ostrich millenium, is still WIP) with tons of comments and nicely organized logic on external pannels to convince a friend to join starmade. If we go for multiplayer and gather intel about factions, we'll check pressure, straps and mask :-p

Reactions: Lord_Greyscale