Frequency weapons

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

This video gave me the idea for frequency based weapons.
    When a block is hit, the weapon changes frequency (frequency=blockID)

The closer the frequency and on harmonics, the more damage a block takes.
    Basically it's a weapon which penetrates layers of equal blocks most effectively.

EDIT:
    Left and right click could be an option to set/use the frequency against a block type.
    Another -as jayman said- could be to link it to a block of similar armour/maxhp/whatever value

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As for implementation, do you foresee weapons being linkable to specific blocks to target that particular block? Or maybe a new weapon effect/chamber effect? Or do you see the weapon auto-tuning on-hit to do more damage to the first block it hits? I'm wondering how frequency would work in game.

With hundreds of block IDs leading to hundreds of frequencies, I can't imagine the frequency being controlled by detailed logic, other than logic being able to maybe switch it on or off. I.e. I wouldn't want to have to "program" the frequency via x number of activation blocks linked to the weapon computer. Maybe a linked display block work, so you can just manually enter the frequency into the linked display. Or switch between different frequencies stored in other display blocks. That might be cool.

Being able to switch frequencies in battle might not be very useful against the average ship, where targeted areas might reveal different kinds of blocks at subsequent ticks. However, it could be a fun thing for a tactical crewmember on the ship. Especially if the weapon doesn't get any penalties against blocks that it is not "tuned into".

Example:
    Maybe I'm a non-pilot crewmember aboard the S.S. Vapo-Hull. I enter the main laser's weapon computer, and tune the laser, depending on what it is hitting. Something fun for a crewmember to do!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    I could see it easily implemented like this: Have a laser beam with lower damage than normal weapons, for example 80%of a normal beam. When it hits a block, store the ID. Every tick increase damage by ~5%, up to 50%. If you hit a different block ID, reset the damage bonus.

This weapon would be useful to pierce through large chunks of armor or exposed system blocks, although it could be countered making layers of different types of armor (basic, advanced...). It should also ignore color variants or it would be too easy to counter (rainbow hull meta).

Reactions: jayman38