Frequencies For Wireless Controllers

Reaction score
    A pretty simple idea really

Instead of directly connecting two wireless logic modules with c & v, why not give each wireless module a frequency (say 0 to 99,999) that allows it to activate all other wireless logic modules with the same frequency in the area?

The idea being that it could be used as a passcode of sorts for security systems, while at the same time opening up the possibility of enemies "hacking" into your logic networks

Reactions: Valck and BJammin

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Fantastic suggestion. Simple to incorporate (for Devs) easier to set up and modify for players and more powerful than existing system. Also...useful for cross-entity controls for drones, turrets & fleets.

Reactions: RoAnnon

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am going along with this idea, but I think the master/slave mechanic should remain and should override the frequency setting, to simulate an encrypted/hardened wireless signal.

Reaction score
    And thus, the 10000 block skeleton key was born...

But seriously, the only issue I have with this is that it would require a new ui element that doesn't really match any current parts of the game. I don't know that the added complexity is worth the payoff. If other, similar systems were in the works, then I'd give an enthusiastic yes.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    And thus, the 10000 block skeleton key was born...

But seriously, the only issue I have with this is that it would require a new ui element that doesn't really match any current parts of the game. I don't know that the added complexity is worth the payoff. If other, similar systems were in the works, then I'd give an enthusiastic yes.
    Could just be a repurposed Nav menu. Textbox to enter the frequency number, list of saved frequencies with names

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If you wanted to prevent a new UI and keep it block based, have the wireless block detect display module blocks touching it, and then the player could type some kind of command or frequency number in the display module.

Reaction score
    Great idea. Needs some form of encryption. Perhaps this sort of thing can be used in a communications/information/scanning system revamp (I've suggested a comprehensive system several times, including limiting the transfer of information). You'd need an antenna connected to the wireless block or a communications computer with an antenna and wireless block as slaves. The strength of the system determines the range at which you can activate wireless blocks with the block on your ship.
    The wireless blocks on other vessels/whatever you want to activate would need an antenna as well, but it could be any strength/size.

This would allow you to hide out a few sectors over, broadcast an "Attack" command to a fleet of drones (That you didn't have to manually wire up with wireless logic) and watch the fun.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    If you wanted to prevent a new UI and keep it block based, have the wireless block detect display module blocks touching it, and then the player could type some kind of command or frequency number in the display module.
    Sure, that or... in a similar vein. I thought about adding wireless frequency boxes but that would use up block-IDs so how about:

Slave colored lights to the wireless block and use them as channels. Blue-channel...red-channel etc. Encryption is automatic for faction and maybe allies. Keep the range within two sectors so the link is good when transitioning from one to the other. I also liked Madman's antenna idea for range and possible 'intercepts' or jamming.