free moving rail block

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i was just thinking that it would be nice to have a rail block that doesn't move entities along it but if a docked entity is pushed by another entity it would move (think the minecarts in minecraft). it might also be nice to have a half and half block that moves the docked entity but if it is pushed with enough force it will move in the other direction or faster in the same direction. this could be achieved with the original rail block and logic ie if there is an active not block connected to the rail it will be free moving but if the not is inactive it will be rigid. also if there are 2 nots active then it will be half and half. the % that it is free moving vs rigid could be determined by the number of active vs inactive not blocks connected to the rail in much the same way speed controllers work. the other option is to have a controller like the speed controller that is connected to the rail and activation modules and would work like the point above. all these things would apply to rotators as well.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I was thinking about this same idea. A free-wheeling rail would let a ship accelerate down a rail, then detach at the end just like a Viper launching out the the Galactica!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    If this system is applied to joints and interconnected docked entities become a thing, then you could use rails like pistons and get more control over your mech's joints. In addition, frictionless rails could lead to all of our trams becoming bullet trains using push effect modules. I like this idea so far.

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So in essence, a frictionless rail block? Intriguing, you have my support.
    And if anyone complains about IDs we can just replace the useless plex lift with this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    And if anyone complains about IDs we can just replace the useless plex lift with this.
    if it is done using a controller like the speed controller that controls friction then it would only take 1 block ID anyway

Reactions: Exozen

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Or use an existing block (E.g. Push-pulse computer) as a slave to the rails.