Frankie class, Assault Pioneer ship.

Reaction score
    My first test build revision (Refit)... Lots need to be done. I will upload shortly

Class type - Assault pioneer*

Class Name - Frankie (named after the one and only)

Ships in Class - 1 - Number 69 is the first in the Frankie class. More to come.

------------------------------------
    Stats

So far this is the stats but will only increase..

Mass - 5254
    L - 150 H - 38 W - 58
    Power - 33996 1123891 e/sec
    Thrust - 6723
    Shields - 176432 - 4705 Recovery - 2

Armament - lots :)

Ships main weapons-

1 x Gun
    2 x BB
    2 x 1000
    2 x kb

ships other weapons -

4 X Twin gun/missile turret
    2 X Single gun turret
    Pos 2 X missile turrent
    3 x 6 Mines or cores

Craft -

Main Hanger for craft. Enter from top.
    Capt craft behind bridge.
    Smaller hanger for pods.

* I made up this class of ship from my Army days..
    Main Role of the Assault pioneer class.

A, In front of the advancing force, clearing the route as necessary of obstacles;
    B, Breaching of enemy fortifications;
    C, construction of tools for a force to cross natural and man-made obstacles. Construction, support and Supervising of Planet bases, field defensive works, HQs and
    D, Construct ambush sites, mines and boobytraps.

2nd Role

A, Armed reconnaissance and
    B, Ambushing.

Ships in this class should be well armed as they will work on their own at times.

Reaction score
    Things to note when doing this,

1, when releasing the mine, when ship is at speed the ship will stop on a dime, so could be an exploit for the massive ships to stop instantly.

2, make mine in bay and make sure the doors open first before release.

3, when naming the mines and saving the blueprint, the mines loose their name and become dock, hard to know what each item is.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It would be nice if we could set the Bobby AI units for \"collision course into nearest enemy\", or some such - thus allowing for mines that would react to approaching enemies by moving towards them

Then again that could be abused for making INSANELY HUGE AND DAMAGING missiles.

Reaction score
    I checked it out and labelled each mine with ## the first is the level and 2nd # the actual mine. I found I you read in the weapons section that it would say the turret is AP## eg AP22. I guess with planning and time you could make a massive mine laying ship with hundreds of the critters.

Reaction score
    I have upgraded the mine bays to carry 54 mines. Each basic mine has 31 HE :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you put a bobby ai mod on a ship with no weapons it rams the nearest target, has been like that for a while. So yes, you can build your tracking mines. They hardly do any damage though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The explosive blocks count as weapons...

I wonder...

If you put a tiny drone together, perhaps Bobby AI, core, a few each of power and engines, perhaps shields...And then attached a block of explosives too it with a docking module...would that count as an AI unit with weapons? Or could you get it to track on a target?

Ima have to test that shit out at some point when I\'m not at work...

Reaction score
    I have tested the booby IA and so far it does nothing once its undocked.

Mines are a deterrent, delay or channel the enemy and generally covered by fire.

The other thing that it can do, from testing is to confuse your enemy as they find it harder to target you with all the radar contacts.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    On another thread in this section, someone created flights of 3-fighters each controlled by a single core (he just took blocks out from between the fighters in build mode).

This could be used to create \"mine fields\" that would allow you to place multiple mines in a precise pattern - they would not be independent of course.

As for the AI issue, I believe that you must re-activate the AI on a turret/ship whenever you enter/exit it (as entering the core deactivates the AI under the assumption that you want to pilot the thing).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It works exactly as I explained, you simply put a bobby ai block on any ship without weapons and it will ram the nearest hostile target to it. For faction wars it also will need a faction module on it. The reason they didn\'t work was probably because you failed to turn your ai block on. Homing mines and bobby missiles are commonplace on many servers. Problem is the AI pilot has trouble actually hitting anything, afaik won\'t even attack turrets, and the dis-integrater blocks hardly do any damage. So if you run in to a ship with 1000+ shield blocks, no amount of explosives will even cause its shields to flicker. Smaller ships can be damaged, but the chance of your missile actually hitting one is nearly 0.

You are better off just making drones.

3x3x3 cubes might have little shielding and firepower, but they are nearly impossible to hit, especially for turrets. even a handfull can kill the biggest over-built-super-battleship out there. Or at least force it to retreat if the enemy pilot manages to drop the drone agro.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Drones is that you have to activate them one at a time (enter drone core, undock, exit core, activate AI, repeat).

It would be nice if there were a \"Drone Docking Module\", which could be activated from a console somewhere, that would undock the drones but leave their AI active.

Not sure how the AI would handle exiting a hanger though...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You have to do that with any ship which uses a bobby ai block, turret, drone, mine, or missile. That is the main problem with AI blocks currently. As for exiting a hangar, it won\'t. the best case is that it will exit in to your ship when undocked and spawn outside. Worst case it will cause phantom torc and roll your ship uncontrollably until the sever decides it is stuck and teleports you or the drone away.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What I\'m saying is that it\'d be nice if there were a remote-launch system specifically for launching AI drones from a hanger, to avoid the \"go manually fly the thing out of dock, get out, and activate it\" part.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You don\'t have to do it that way. You can dock a ship to yours, get out, enable the bobby ai block and assigning it a hotkey in the weapons menue. Once that is done all you need to do is select the docking block in your hotbar, and click. The drone should jettison from your ship and attack whatever the closest hostile vessle is.

Reaction score
    i like your mines plan, but i think they would be more effective if you took the same amount of blocks in those cube mines, and made it into an XYZ cross. the arms would cover more area, making them harder to miss (of course, they would be harder to store that way)