Forums Updates: Rules, Additions, Bug Fixes, and More!

resba

administrator
    Reaction score
    Greetings Astronauts!

Firstly I would like to say that it has been such an amazing pleasure to get to know all of you over the past few weeks. Thank you very much for all the kindness and thoughtful discussion I've had with many of you and your understanding during this transitional period. I also would like to thank you all for the feedback and support I've gotten from each and every one of you through every type of communication channel. You guys rock!

With that said, I will get on now to the content of this post: The changes and updates we have made over the past week! I know that all of you have been very vocal and helpful in helping us find and fix bugs and correct issues with our rule set, forums permissions, and overall community appearance.

You will all be happy to know that myself and DukeofRealms along with the rest of the Community Staff have been discussing and ultimately implementing quite a lot of changes and additions to your StarMade Community Experience!

Here are but a few of the things that we have fixed and added based on what you have recommended and some additional updates that we have made!

Updated Suggestions Topic: The Site Support Forum now has a Sticky containing a board that is actively updated with User Suggestions and Recommendations that we plan on implementing on the forums. Thanks to rece ktore leczo for the initial suggestion (Be it that his original suggestion was for the game, it still became a suggestion we implemented)

Login via Mobile Browsers: We have been made aware of a bug that affects the ability to login to the forums from some mobile browsers. This has been since corrected and should allow users to login from any mobile platform. Thanks to Sven_The_Slayer for the initial report of the bug!

Forums now work when navigating to www.starmadedock.net: We have corrected an issue with our DNS that affected the ability to visit the forums when "www." was appended to the front of the URL. Thanks to TestamentSeven7 from chat for alerting me on this!

Citizens Registry Login API: The StarMade Citizens Registry is a fully functional OAUTH2 provider. You can create Client Applications through the developer tab at http://registry.star-made.org/

Private Conversations can now have more participants: We have increased the overall private conversation limit from 5 to ??. Thanks MrNature72 for the initial suggestion!

StarMade Chat now has specific rules: The StarMade Chat now has a specific rule list to follow that was created by the Administration and then edited and reviewed by the community before it was put into effect. You can find these rules at: http://starmadedock.net/chat-rules/

The Warning System has been modified for fairer warning point weight and actions taken: We have fixed the banning system to where a user that has 3 active warning points at any given time will receive a week-long temporary ban. Any user that has 4 active warning points will receive a permanent ban. All forum warnings are worth 1 point unless an extreme incident occurs. You will not be seeing staff banning outright without warnings attached to the profile.

Heartbleed Bug has been fix--: Turns out that StarMadeDock.net was never affected by the recent OpenSSL Heartbleed Bug.

The forums listing has been updated to include a Server Hosting category: We have added a system for Server Hosting Companies to advertise their services on our forums via the Server Hosting subforum. I explain how Server Hosting Companies can post on this forum in a sticky on said subforum, located here: http://starmadedock.net/threads/620/ and thank you to therimmer96 and many others for the contributions made to the overall solution we've decided to implement!

Forums have been updated to be more mobile friendly: Huge, HUGE shoutout to Audentio for working hard on the forums design and continuing to make it more responsive and viewable on any resolution or device!

That said, we are also aware of several bugs that still need to be addressed, such as:
    • Community Content graphical issues
    • Forums login not redirecting to last viewed page
    • Many more in the Site Support subforum and in our own to-do lists

Again, I want to thank you guys for being so awesome during this period. We really couldn't have done any of this without you and we will continue to make your community experience even more awesome!

If you have a question, comment, concern, or problem that you would like to address please don't hesitate to contact me or file a report in any of the Suggestions, Game Support, Site Support, or Registry Support forums. I look at these every day and I know the staff does as well!

Good Luck Out There!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Nice, and why not call that the What Not To Suggest (name from another game) but it follows the same principles, and what about an information center. When quests come out, information from players for that, information on better pirates if they come, on factories, ship building, station building, and crafting, cubatom.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    A quick question as it pertains to site management, how long can we expect to access the old forums? I know I'm still pulling a lot of my posts and information off of it as I need it.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    A quick question as it pertains to site management, how long can we expect to access the old forums? I know I'm still pulling a lot of my posts and information off of it as I need it.
    4th of June I believe, I will edit this if this is wrong.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I think everyone underestimated the awesomeness of this site. Still addicted to it. No end of refreshing the page, in sight.

Help me.
    I would... but it requires a spatula and a sledge hammer...

Reaction score
    The increase from 5 conversation members to unlimited members was a HUGE improvement! Much obliged!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am slightly worried about the Terms of Service and some of the things it seems to indicate:
    "You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service."
    Could anyone clarify for me how far-reaching the "in connection with the service is"? Since I know some folks have made all sorts of wonderful things they probably wouldn't want re-published out of the blue.

Cheers-
    Hindos

Reaction score
    I am slightly worried about the Terms of Service and some of the things it seems to indicate:
    "You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service."
    Could anyone clarify for me how far-reaching the "in connection with the service is"? Since I know some folks have made all sorts of wonderful things they probably wouldn't want re-published out of the blue.

Cheers-
    Hindos
    I can't imagine any dev would ever republish someone else s work for their own gain. The quote is a tad scary to the eye but again, I think it's harmless considering Schema and the gang are smart fellows. I'd think nothing of it, until something crazy happens to prove me wrong.

I actually wonder how close the Minecraft and Starmade EULA are to each-other. Would be a good comparison to see if what is legal in Minecraft is also in Starmade, as the games are so similar. Saves a lot of time searching the actual EULA and reading between the lines.

Reactions: hindos
    Reaction score
    I can't imagine any dev would ever republish someone else s work for their own gain. The quote is a tad scary to the eye but again, I think it's harmless considering Schema and the gang are smart fellows. I'd think nothing of it, until something crazy happens to prove me wrong.

I actually wonder how close the Minecraft and Starmade EULA are to each-other. Would be a good comparison to see if what is legal in Minecraft is also in Starmade, as the games are so similar. Saves a lot of time searching the actual EULA and reading between the lines.

Might not be scary to you. but it's definitely scary to me. People taking and using your work is a very real problem.

Reaction score
    Might not be scary to you. but it's definitely scary to me. People taking and using your work is a very real problem.
    Yes, people taking credit for your work is scary. I experienced that just recently with someone on these forums, in fact (funny, it was a dev who helped sort the issue out)."Devs" not "people" though. The difference is that the devs are in the spotlight and have shown to have more common sense and morale than regular players, or else Schema would have chosen others to help make the game.

It would be very easy for me to catch a developer or mod taking credit for my stuff since they are EVERYWHERE around here. But that's besides the point. Right under that quote, it says "You retain copyright".

So no worries as long as the stuff you put on here pertains to the game. Your stories for instance, could just as easily be published on another site unbeknownst to you. So there is one concern, but again, anyone could do that, regardless of the EULA. Thieves don't care about the law. That's why they are thieves.

The worst that could happen? Free advertisement of your work, elsewhere. No starving artist in their right mind would work against something like that. None. Moral of the story? Cover your ass with proof that your work is yours, and shame and report those who take credit for it.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It only applies to the starmade team(specifically whoever owns the site). So don't worry about it.