Forget FTL/Fast Travel; Give Me an Autopilot!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't mind that it take a long time to cross interstellar distances. Hell, I think that's the way it should be. I like the idea of being able to travel for hours into unexplored space and have a reasonable chance of being somewhere nobody on the server has been yet.

But for the love of Murphey, let me do it without having to hold down W the whole damn time.

I'd love an autopilot function where you punch in a set of coordinates and hit "Go!", then hit spacebar and fix up your ship while in flight, or if it's big enough walk around and admire the scenery as you cruise through the void. Heck, it doesn't even have to be an autopilot; I'd settle for a cruise control button!

Reaction score
    Hopefully programmable AI is developed soon ... wouldn\'t be too hard to code an AI to pilot a ship to predetermined co-ords. Even if it is, there\'s always a guy who works it out and is kind enough to copy/paste an example for us.

Reaction score
    Autopilot wouldnt be difficult to implement (I say as a programmer and AI officianato myself). The game already has turrets, which point in a direction, tracking targets. So having an AI point at a waypoint and simply engage forward motion is trivial.

Im pretty certain they\'re hard at work at this, and the reason it isnt out yet is getting it right, and making it smooth.

Reaction score
    Oh man, I would LOVE this feature. Being able to stroll around in your battleship as it cruises through space would be amazing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It was already mentioned in the past that Schema intends to implement an autopilot. Nontheless he cant work on multiple things at the same time nd when you check the news you see that hes working on some really big things. Have a bit patience and everything will become great. Promise!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh, I\'m perfectly patient. I\'m also posting a suggestion in a subforum dedicated for such. ;) If I were impatient, I would be suggesting an FTL/fast travel mechanic instead of simply a Cruise Control button.

Follow-up question though: If I have a second suggestion/request unrelated to the first, is forum convention that I append it to my original thread or start a new one? Essentially, are suggestions grouped by subject, or by author?

Reaction score
    I\'d like this too, and with a bookmarks system so that you can always see what you\'ve bookmarked, and head straight towards it instead of constantly turning for specific sectors.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'d love a cruise button. just because its awesome to look out of a window, and not seeing that your ship is slowing down or even standing still.

For bookmarks: it would be useful... VERY useful i got lost like 3 times already because my station didnt show up in my navigation

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, at least that autocruise so it can go straight without us pressing W all the time...

Reaction score
    Yea a cruise control option would be nice. It wouldn\'t be ai controlled. It would be something that would just simply hold your ships speed without having to pilot it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    ...And then you run into an asteroid, come back sometime later and notice you\'ve wasted half an hour.