Forcefield regeneration

Reaction score
    Soo this is just a random thought I had. What if there was a master block that could slave forcefields. It would regenerate them should they be destroyed. This would happen after a set period of time. It would be a blend of hull and shield properties. The drawback would be that it would cost power to regenerate. The more forcefield blocks the more power that is drained. It would drain all at once meaning it needs capacitors for increased effectiveness.

Forcefield that aren't hooked up to the master block would just function as normal. When they are destroyed that would be it. Functionality could be preserved and it would obviously be something optional.

Let me know what you guys think!

Reaction score
    I guess it would be legit !
    But does it have a real use ? I mean if the ennemy managed to damage them, well there's a high chance that they would destroy or damage what's around it too ^^
    Still a good idea tho !

Reaction score
    But does it have a real use ? I mean if the ennemy managed to damage them, well there's a high chance that they would destroy or damage what's around it too ^^
    Not sure what you mean by useless. it would only enhance forcefields and make them be related to energy systems as well. You could use it to seal the hull post weapons impact or you can use them to keep someone from getting into your ship with a torch. It would essentially be advanced armor that regenerates.

Reaction score
    The problem is that regenerated advanced armor is somewhat OP. For the simple cost of power? How about some time as well, or some other debuff?

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The problem is that regenerated advanced armor is somewhat OP. For the simple cost of power? How about some time as well, or some other debuff?
    This is the most significant issue I have with this, as well. This suggestion would have players effectively materializing resources (admittedly not terribly valuable, in the case of forcefields, but equivalent to Advanced Armor all the same) from something that can be very readily regenerated (power). Obviously this wouldn't lead to any sort of block-duplication exploit (regeneration only takes effect when a block is destroyed), but it is still a technical profit, as there is no material cost involved in what would otherwise be a more costly repair.

If this is to be implemented, it should be taken into consideration alongside the various suggestion threads about how to improve and balance astrotech beams, as they deal with similar conflicts regarding the economic balance of "magically" repairing blocks.

Reaction score
    I was figuring that a regeneration tick could happen 15-30 from when a forcefield block is destroyed. the power drain wouldn't be cheap either, at 450ish power per block it would make covering your hull in it a very costly choice.

As far as resource costs go that could be balanced after the fact. Resources and economy still need a lot of work.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, if it's going to regenerate, you'll want it to be even cheaper per block, and weaker. Maybe somewhere between hull and standard. Probably closer to hull.

Maybe the regenerating blocks could be a new block type that regenerates from the more powerful current forcefield blocks and would be as weak as hull and cost 0 credits, so you can't make a fortune regenerating blocks. Summary: New block type, weak as hull, filling the place of destroyed regular forcefield blocks.

And yes, regeneration will need to be glacially slow.

Reaction score
    Making forcefield cost nothing wouldn't be an issue. If you were to delete a block in build mode it wouldn't regenerate. There would be no way just sit there and harvest the blocks. If they are made cheaper then the stats would have to be adjusted accordingly.

As far as making forcefields weaker, I'm all for lowering the armor rating to keep adv armor the king, but too weak and they'll be no use. I think somewhere around standard armor would be good.

I don't know about a new block type. I was trying to keep the suggestion as simple as possible. The idea itself isn't a bad one but I do see why we can't have the forcefield blocks just regenerate using power. If it is far more power costly per hp, it still keeps shields as a much cheaper alternative.

Reaction score
    Considering that it is a forcefield, this mechanism might be a good idea. Forcefield stats must be tweaked through, because regenerating advanced armor is not fun to battle against.

Honestly I do not know why forcefield stats are that of Adv.Armor. Forcefields can not be that hard, right?

Reaction score
    The health values seem rather arbitrary so I would assume when there's more blocks added they'll be tweaked accordingly. I don't have a problem with forcefields being super strong aside from fighters. If there were regenerating quick enough it would make fighter on fighter combat not fun at all. You would be shooting each other for an eternity.

There could be a flat value of power draw for the forcefield regeneration block master/computer. Say around 10,000 power then 450 additional power for each forcefield block. This would keep it off of really small ships that could possibly exploit it. It also makes using it exclusively as hull would yield no benefit when fighting a one ship against another. 30 seconds is plenty enough time to rip apart the inside of a ship once you get through shields and forcefields. It would only be truly useful for hit and run tactics, where you can run away while you regen.

The main concept that interests me is the idea of regenerating blocks. Doesn't make sense for systems but to me the forcefield make perfect sense. Having there be a defensive option that regenerates like shields creates lots of new options for ship design.

Reaction score
    I'd allways wondered why forcefields don't drain power while in the "on" state. (the one where you see the damn things)
    I mean, aside from the whole "newbs are fucking retards" bit.

Afterall, look at every Sci-Fi setting ever that has used forcefields, what happens the very moment the power to the forcefield system gets interrupted or weakened? The field fails. In StarMade mechanics, that would mean the things shut off and stay off once there isn't enough power to keep them running.
    (for that matter, so should Gravity modules)

By comparison, the Plex and Blast doors should function exactly opposite, for them, it takes power to open the door, but the door closes when there isn't power.
    (this would allso make the Torch tool more usefull, you'd be required to either provide power, or cut into the hulk.
    Cutting is easier, since we can't specify what system the power goes to.)

Forcefield regeneration though, eh, ... Someone is gonna find a way to violate the spirit of the concept, while sticking verbatim to the written rules of it.
    Like with Docked reactors. (that was to get around the 1~ish Million Power-gen "softcap", don't let anyone tell you otherwise)
    Like with docked shield injectors. (to get around "shield regen is reduced massively when shields take damage")
    Like with docked Thrusters, before it got fixed. (which was to get around the diminishing returns of the then-new "thrust update". Thank god that one got fixed.)

Possibly the better way to do it would be:

The force-field takes no direct damage, and provides 0 armor HP.
    Instead, damage that would be dealt up-to it's block Hp, happens to Stored Power instead. (a bit like EMP this is, but it's a trade-off)
    Damage that would go over it's value, subtracts it's value from Stored Power, and then applies the remainder to blocks in-line behind the forcefield. (which could possibly be more forcefield) (possible con, a thick-enough forcefield negates a planetkiller strike. on the other hand, that blocker probably won't be doing anything else at all)

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    If we're going to do regenerative hulls (finally!), I'd far rather see chitin/tissue than yet another form of synthetic shield/armor. Maybe that's just me :-D

Reactions: Comradecolonel
    Reaction score
    Forcefield regeneration though, eh, ... Someone is gonna find a way to violate the spirit of the concept, while sticking verbatim to the written rules of it.
    Like with Docked reactors. (that was to get around the 1~ish Million Power-gen "softcap", don't let anyone tell you otherwise)
    Like with docked shield injectors. (to get around "shield regen is reduced massively when shields take damage")
    Like with docked Thrusters, before it got fixed. (which was to get around the diminishing returns of the then-new "thrust update". Thank god that one got fixed.)

Possibly the better way to do it would be:

The force-field takes no direct damage, and provides 0 armor HP.
    Instead, damage that would be dealt up-to it's block Hp, happens to Stored Power instead. (a bit like EMP this is, but it's a trade-off)
    Damage that would go over it's value, subtracts it's value from Stored Power, and then applies the remainder to blocks in-line behind the forcefield. (which could possibly be more forcefield) (possible con, a thick-enough forcefield negates a planetkiller strike. on the other hand, that blocker probably won't be doing anything else at all)

I don't think it would be so easy to abuse as I wasn't planning on there being any per entity restrictions. By keeping everything an a per block basis makes it far easier to balance. Every single block has the same trade off to the ship. You are using mass and power as a trade off for increased health. Instead of the force field block putting a burden on your system HP it will instead put an even bigger burden on your power system.

Two things I'd like to add to the idea in order to balance regenerating armor. First off if the master computer is destroyed all slaved force fields are destroyed along with it. The second is a passive power usage whenever the forcefields are active. This would be controlled similar to other passive abilities.

I do like the idea of force fields using power to directly negate damage. I'd love to hear more of this idea.