For the purposes of a more standardized class sytem

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'll start this out by saying that: 1) I am well aware that there are already tons of threads about ship classification, and that 2) classification is largely arbitrary and based on what the creator of the ship decides it is. My purpose in this thread is to attempt to address the idea that ships may be compared easily by other means than fighting, comparing stats directly, or other means. The other purpose is to also have some fun, and get a feel for other peoples classifications. Keep in mind that this is a game, and that is should be treated like a game.

Now, on to the jist of it. The Idea is to create a semi-standard idea of ship classifications. This isn't to reduce creativity in any way but to have a little fun, and create some continuity.

If people could post a general idea of the mass, shield capacity, shield recharge, power capacity, power recharge, DPS they consider each of the following classes as having I was thinking that I might average them together and make a post about it. Keep in mind that this is meant for fun, and partially for continuity. Salvage ships, and other ships that deal no damage are basically in a class of their own, and would simply be based upon mass.
    -Fighter
    -Heavy Fighter
    -Gunship
    -Corvette
    -Frigate
    -Destroyer
    -Cruiser
    -Battle-Cruiser
    -Battleship
    -Leviathan
    -Titan
    If you could also state which aspects you think should be taken into greater account in the classification of ships (Mass, Shield Capacity, Shield Recharge, Power Capacity, Power Recharge, DPS) That would also be great. Keep in mind these classifications may not be useful for determining the role a ship carries. DPS may be hard to come up with, and is not required (Nothing really is, it's for fun :) ). Please keep in mind that this is mainly for fun. Some of these may be lumped together into one (EX: Frigate, Cruiser, Destroyer; Gunship, Corvettel ECT...).

Please, no hate, have fun :)

(I am aware that parts of this are based on/similar to other threads)

Reactions: Jaaskinal

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'll start this out by saying that: 1) I am well aware that there are already tons of threads about ship classification, and that 2) classification is largely arbitrary and based on what the creator of the ship decides it is. My purpose in this thread is to attempt to address the idea that ships may be compared easily by other means than fighting, comparing stats directly, or other means. The other purpose is to also have some fun, and get a feel for other peoples classifications. Keep in mind that this is a game, and that is should be treated like a game.

Now, on to the jist of it. The Idea is to create a semi-standard idea of ship classifications. This isn't to reduce creativity in any way but to have a little fun, and create some continuity.

If people could post a general idea of the mass, shield capacity, shield recharge, power capacity, power recharge, DPS they consider each of the following classes as having I was thinking that I might average them together and make a post about it. Keep in mind that this is meant for fun, and partially for continuity. Salvage ships, and other ships that deal no damage are basically in a class of their own, and would simply be based upon mass.
    -Fighter
    -Heavy Fighter
    -Gunship
    -Corvette
    -Frigate
    -Destroyer
    -Cruiser
    -Battle-Cruiser
    -Battleship
    -Leviathan
    -Titan
    If you could also state which aspects you think should be taken into greater account in the classification of ships (Mass, Shield Capacity, Shield Recharge, Power Capacity, Power Recharge, DPS) That would also be great. Keep in mind these classifications may not be useful for determining the role a ship carries. DPS may be hard to come up with, and is not required (Nothing really is, it's for fun :) ). Please keep in mind that this is mainly for fun. Some of these may be lumped together into one (EX: Frigate, Cruiser, Destroyer; Gunship, Corvettel ECT...).

Please, no hate, have fun :)

(I am aware that parts of this are based on/similar to other threads)
    You can check a specific weapon's DPS in the weapons menu.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I think the best would be to have an in-server dynamic class system, possibly just by a combination of mass, shields and DPS. A server that has a lot of new players wouldn't be full of "Corvette"'s in their oppinion, those things are huge to them, they're "Battle-cruisers" and "Battleships." As opposed to a server full of vets, where several hundred k mass ships are considered "Battleships."

IMO the ship should keep a log of the sizes of ships for any given period of time, and should basically organize that data like a box and whisker chart, finding the median ship size for the ships on that server, quartiles 1 and 3, and the maximum and minimum, accounting for outliers that are 1 and a half times the inter quartile range further in either direction from the quartiles.

This also might benefit from a system where different proportions of shields/thrust/weapons affect what the classification will be, as having a 30k mass ship with a 2:3 twr on a server with decent but small IMO ships probably isn't a cruiser :p

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think the best would be to have an in-server dynamic class system, possibly just by a combination of mass, shields and DPS. A server that has a lot of new players wouldn't be full of "Corvette"'s in their oppinion, those things are huge to them, they're "Battle-cruisers" and "Battleships." As opposed to a server full of vets, where several hundred k mass ships are considered "Battleships."

IMO the ship should keep a log of the sizes of ships for any given period of time, and should basically organize that data like a box and whisker chart, finding the median ship size for the ships on that server, quartiles 1 and 3, and the maximum and minimum, accounting for outliers that are 1 and a half times the inter quartile range further in either direction from the quartiles.

This also might benefit from a system where different proportions of shields/thrust/weapons affect what the classification will be, as having a 30k mass ship with a 2:3 twr on a server with decent but small IMO ships probably isn't a cruiser :p
    Quartiles? Twr? xD
    This does sound infinitely better. Maybe the server could then take the stats or something, divide them by a configurable number of classes, and give the player a suggested class to name it as if he so chooses. It would certainly be great for role-playing xD

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Everyone else seems to want something universal between all servers at all times, I'm proposing something slightly in addition with petlahk, it would basically be classifying ships based on what other people have around you. Show up on a newb server with a 30k mass ship? Destroyer. Same ship on a vet server? Gunship. Or at least those are the two examples I picked from the list above xD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Everyone else seems to want something universal between all servers at all times, I'm proposing something slightly in addition with petlahk, it would basically be classifying ships based on what other people have around you. Show up on a newb server with a 30k mass ship? Destroyer. Same ship on a vet server? Gunship. Or at least those are the two examples I picked from the list above xD
    Scheme has a point that this is very much a repeat post, but your system is a very good idea xD

If you haven't already, I think you should stick it in a suggestion post.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    FWIW the scalable system I posted earlier can quite easily map to naming schemes that are dynamic per server, while still keeping a generic class name that correctly maps between servers.

It would also be possible to have plug-in systems based around DPS, Shields & Power (or whatever other stats are of interest).

Reactions: petlahk

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    OR, let people call their ships whatever they want :P