Food, Oxygen and other suppies

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Something that I think that this game has been lacking is the common necessities of life like food, oxygen, fuel and anything else that i may have missed. Building and fighting are a lot of fun and do make the game extremely enjoyable but just as an added challenge and to make planets more important hunting food or trading for it, refueling your ship (would also help cut down on gigantism), and limited time in space would challenge the players even more.

Please let me know if there are any concerns, ideas, etc.

Reaction score
    Oxygen and food are things that I\'m fairly sure that both are already planned. As for fuel, not too sure on I haven\'t heard anything like that and still I\'m personally not sure about fuel I just see it as an arbitrary way to limit the player rather then making it more of a challange.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    oxygen could partially kill the gameplay for newer players since they have to build a ship and an oxygen supply/fly to a planet before their start oxygen runs out.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Fuel would limit the game, I am against it. You would all the time gather for fuel, food, oxygen...no thanks.

Food and oxygen maybe, but even here there had to be a user-friendly way. Maybe the oxygen lasts for

10 Minutes real time and has to be refilled then. For starters there is a 30 minutes \"new user\" counter, which disables the oxygen consumption.

Food maybe could be harvested on planets, produced on ships (energy -> food) with a Replikator-Block or bought at a trader. Like in real live food should be in easy access - you have to think about it, but its no problem since you are not lost on a island...eh planet without a ship ;-)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is an excellent suggestion. I agree with the food and oxygen parts of it, but not so much the fuel parts. Space travel will almost certainly require a source of non-depleteable/renewable energy. Lets look into the future and see what it might be like...

You need food an water to survive, but these can be gotten from many things. Perhaps the replicator idea where you harvest organic materials and it turns it into spaceman fuel, which may be replenished by simply walking up to the replicator. This keeps the food system simple, while making it a chalenge early in the game to wander far from your home planet.

Oxygen as it is now is fine, with a couple modifictions. It would be a great chalenge to have to build airlocks and air-tight ships for space travel, along with the additional CO2 converter for renewable air. This would also make planets with toxic atmospheres more chalenging because of the limit of personal air supply. I think the suit has its own built in convertor, so maybe this would be a cool item for later in the game if an equipment system is implemented.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Fuel is redundant. If we became capable of interstellar travel, we would have to find a fuel source that doesnt need refueling, such as harvesting hydrogen or helium-3 compounds from space on the go.

As for oxygen, it wouldnt run out while in a core or computer, so no worries there. Also, you could have an oxygen module, similar to a docking module, that generates a well of oxygen, since there is no code for determining the inside of a ship or the outside, and you have to stay in the module\'s well of oxygen or hop into a core or computer. Terran planets would be the only ones with oxygen i would say, so they would be the only place you could walk about indefinitely without needing a module.

On the topic of food, the shops could sell synthetically produced MREs (meal ready to eat) and the player could start out with five. The MREs could refill like two food points or something, meaning the actual livestock being slaughtered would give you more food points, making players want to hunt animals or have on-board farms for larger ships and factions would need to stay with a Captial ship pilot for a food supply. Faction planets could easily be used to set up farms by adding a mating system similar to MC. Different animals would give different food point yields. Ice trolls on Icey planets would give like full health (cuz of all the fatty proteins) and pigs on Terran planets would give like four points or something. Idk about adding agriculture, but hunting and farming animals might be an interesting addition, especially if trying to make player economies where players trade goods.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think that what EffectivePawn suggested about food is a great idea as it would give more of a reason to go onto planets other than to perhaps restore oxygen supplies or to mine and i think it gives a great opportunity to maybe add different races (not playable ones though) that could sell more items like hulls that are stronger but weigh more.

Reaction score
    Food and oxygen? Sure. But the spawn should be moved on a colonizid planet or something, where new players can calmy buy food and build a spaceship in a oxygen rich atmoshphre and in peace before they go on their adventure in space. Fuel? Nah, that would limit us too much in our travels.