Fog of War (and stellar information)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    How about an option to start a new server with FOG of WAR enabled. I really would like only the stuff I have actually found to appear on the galactic map. (How the shops are now) This way I have an incentive to go fly to the distant planet or star to fill my map with info.

Along with this I would like to click on an item (station, planet, etc) and get a small screen that gives known info, such as base type (pirate, abandoned, etc), planet size and terrain type, areas known to be infested with pirates, hazardous creatures, etc.

Clicking on a star in the nav map would give system wide info such as "HAZARDOUS: PIRATE ACTIVITY DETECTED" or "LARGE ASTEROID FIELD"

Allow us to sell/transfer our discovered info to other players. Example: I will sell you info on Beta system for 10,000 credits.

This has probably been suggested before, I just wanted to bring it up again.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't think this was suggested before. But I have been around less lately, so I might have missed it.

Lovely idea!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I really like this it would add a hole new aspect to faction wars.
    It would mean that factions could have secret warp gate networks, unlike now how everyone can see them. Not to mention that an enemy faction would actually have to find your systems, instead of knowing where you are from start.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i had suggested something like the before. basically it would make scanner useful if they lit up our maps with icons for every scan

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I really like this it would add a hole new aspect to faction wars.
    It would mean that factions could have secret warp gate networks, unlike now how everyone can see them. Not to mention that an enemy faction would actually have to find your systems, instead of knowing where you are from start.
    I think warp networks will always need to be visible. There has to be something to help instigate disputes or encourage trade / counter play. Having a complete blank canvas for quadrillions of galaxies to manually explore is not just daunting, it's tedious.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think warp networks will always need to be visible. There has to be something to help instigate disputes or encourage trade / counter play. Having a complete blank canvas for quadrillions of galaxies to manually explore is not just daunting, it's tedious.
    But I think there should still be a server config option to disable that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Perhaps only player-marked warp gates/stations/shops show up on the map.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Having a complete blank canvas for quadrillions of galaxies to manually explore is not just daunting, it's tedious.
    KUPU does have a good point about space being overwhelming to explore. You could play this game for months and not chart the whole galaxy. However, I do think it might be good to hide some information. One game I used to play called STAR CONTROL II (Ur-Quan Masters) would show you a complete map of all the stars in the galaxy, but it wouldn't show you areas of influence for different factions until you got fairly close to them, or obtained information about them from another species. Perhaps some areas, like Intelligent NPC areas could be left to find. I really want this game to become as much about exploring brave new worlds and seeking out new civilizations as it is now about combat.

Reactions: Megacrafter127