Fly a Ship With a Map

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Presumably we'll be delegating basic ship functions to NPC crew members when that update drops. I'm not sure how far that will go in regards to even the most basic ship functions like firing spinal-mounted weapons and navigating, but presumably it will go pretty far since the devs clearly intend for fleets to have the potential to be autonomous.

I'd like to see a way to delegate the most basic tasks to crew members or the ship computer or whatever even when a player is present. Ideally a player would have access to an interface that allows them to give orders to their ship and any other ship in the fleet at the same time as they are watching the action unfolding around them. (Obviously including a battle, but also anything else including multiple ships, such as a large salvaging operation)

We already have the galaxy map, this can be thought of as the 'strategic-level' map. I propose the addition of a second map, a 'tactical-level' map, showing any known object in a radius around your ship. It should diplay friendlies, hostiles, neutrals, inert objects, and anything else a commander might want to see, such as missile salvos. Maybe you could hover your cursor over the marker for some object to see detailed information about it, such as projected flight pattern, as well as attibutes like mass, current speed, allegiance, etc.

I envision the map being integrated with a menu that allows you to give orders to both your fleet and the flagship you are sitting in. I assume for the sake of simplicity the options for fleet ships would have to be a lot simpler, like 'go here' and 'focus fire on this', but your own ship commands should be more in depth, like ordering the launch of specific missile salvos and directing individual turret batteries.

TL;DR I'd like to see a system where a ship commander's mind can be taken off of menial tasks like steering and looking around so they can focus more on more important things.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    No way Jose.

A lot of comes to mind when you think of what can be added to make Starmade awesome(r). Not all of this would actually help. More so, most of those ideas would in fact needlesl

Your suggestion sounds like an excellent one- just like umpteen others. But I doubt there are plans for any (further) maps.

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I'd like to see a way to delegate the most basic tasks ... Ideally a player would have access to an interface that allows them to give orders to their ship and any other ship...We already have the galaxy map...showing any known object in a radius around your ship. It should diplay friendlies, hostiles, neutrals, inert objects,...you could hover your cursor over the marker for some object to see detailed information about it,
    The cat-god gave us this already, in some form. depending on how fast you can click and type you can run more than one fleet at once.

I envision the map being integrated with a menu that allows you to give orders to both your fleet and the flagship you are sitting in. I assume for the sake of simplicity the options for fleet ships would have to be a lot simpler, like 'go here' and 'focus fire on this', but your own ship commands should be more in depth, like ordering the launch of specific missile salvos and directing individual turret batteries.

TL;DR I'd like to see a system where a ship commander's mind can be taken off of menial tasks like steering and looking around so they can focus more on more important things.
    A more robust action set and UI would be great, yeah.

it'd be nice to have "follow/move" "defend" "attack" allow other fleets and objects as targets yeah. So your system defense fleet can follow a mining fleet around without having to issue two orders every sector.

I'd like miner fleets to gain mining as a path action, not a location one. "eat everything in this direction up to this location." rather than just "at this location".

be nice to gain the "scavenger role" in fleet types too. Have "salvage/logistics" ships able to follow attack/defense fleets, recycling resources from the fallen.
    ---->Using them to repair the ships they're following could be nice too. :)

Ya know, Imperialist/Empire Stuff.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Improved fleet command UI, just to streamline the process, would definitely be nice. Its a good suggestion, i dunno how much cpu strain a tactical map for the purpose of displaying everything and trajectories would pose, though. Probably murder the server.

Maybe ordering your ship to align in the direction youre looking and move along the six axes, and set the throttle to % of max speed, while outside it without a logic push effect or something would work good. That works great to set a cruise control in EVE Online.