Recognized Flooded by Fleets

Do you want to command armies to led your side to victory?

• Of course!

Votes: 5 45.5%
    • Sort of.... (with fixing/balancing)

Votes: 5 45.5%
    • No thanks!

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This idea sounds like the first update of the beta version but can escalate faction wars to a galactic domination RTS.

Some people on the battle-roles thread were they discussed why everyone goes for the biggest ship possible so they're more valuable than cannon fodder, and a few suggest that ai fleets are an answer. Since no one made a thread dedicated to that subject I guess I would instead. Link: http://starmadedock.net/threads/a-manifesto-on-the-relationship-between-fighters-titans-and-ai.1686/

Ok, so fleets. Ranging from small fighter squadrons to hundreds of Super Dreadnoughts (don't try the last one,) every empire has them. Since one of Starmade's focuses on empire building, maybe wars can grow to more than just rare skirmishes.

A quick and easy way for this to work is adding a new block. The Command Center block (placeholder name) can control friendly AI ships and turrets in the sector turning them on/off and giving them different commands. You can kick one or all from the squad, order them to patrol, attack enemies on sight, or even have the Ai from the control ship. If you have it controlled by the Bobby then you can order them remotely so no one has to manually guide the other ships to their waypoint. Also if one of the ships don't have a jump drive none of the others will use it.

Minimum Requirements to start a fleet:
    A Faction
    Faction Module
    Command Center block.

Maximum Requirements:
    Bobby AI Module
    A Faction
    Faction Module
    Command Center block.

Only higher ranking members would be able to control the AI fleets so no random trolls can grief entire factions for the lols.

There are some problems with this but I'll let you discuss that.

Reaction score
    while great for eye candy in theory, the end result would be still 2 players facing off with a bunch of ships instead of one, which will no doubt increase the load in the server. I love the idea, but it veers away from the concept of teamplay, since a one man empire can control a whole fleet at the same time.