Flight

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I have another suggestion. Toggleable flight modes :D

Like, say you have a small shuttle in the shape of an F35 Lightning II, at the minute, you fly it like it's on ice, sliding around, hard to quickly turn, and when you do turn around, you keep going in the initial direction.

I propose a second flight mode that you activate by pressing a key, or putting down a new block, that may or may not have a mass limit, that is pretty much like the way a jet flies. You make a sharp turn? You go in the new direction, not drifting 1km away from where you want to be :P

The reason I say Limited Mass, is to stop Large Ships being OP.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It would certainly add some additional "custom configuration" to the game that the devs want to see, so that you can look over two different shoulders and it looks like two different games.

Some recommended server configs to go along with this: enable_instant_turns and max_mass_instant_turns

I guess you could throw in a "min_mass_instant_turns" for completeness, but that doesn't sound necessary at all.

Such a change would be rejected by many, but it would help reduce gigantism by giving even more flying fun to smaller ships.

Reactions: Meshua_x
    Reaction score
    You, sir, have an interesting idea. But all things considered, this is a space sim sandbox, we are not in an atmosphere that allows us to make such turns like that. I love this game because of its realism.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You, sir, have an interesting idea. But all things considered, this is a space sim sandbox, we are not in an atmosphere that allows us to make such turns like that. I love this game because of its realism.
    Just, gonna, leave these here ;D

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It looks cool, sure, but we ARE in space, you know.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Just, gonna, leave these here ;D
    I watched 2 of those so far, 2nd and 3rd one.
    2nd doesn't count as an argument, it uses propellers in space. Made me laugh a little.

3rd one, I can see what you mean, but you seem to be falling for camera tricks. Making the Camera pan around as a fighter turns, without anything on screen to show you where they are relation to other things. It makes the turn look tighter and intense, but it really wasn't as dramatic. It also showed a planet side scene.

What could be done, is increasing the space friction ingame (Le Gasp!), and also tweaking thrusters to give more thrust for less power. The friction would quickly slow your speed in the direction you are not flying towards, and because thrust would be higher, it would not be as noticeable when flying, as you could accelerate faster to compensate for it.

Tight turns are doable in atmosphere due to, well, the atmosphere. Air resistance and friction are what slow it down in the past vectors while it accelerates in another.

its realism
    Kek.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have another suggestion. Toggleable flight modes :D

Like, say you have a small shuttle in the shape of an F35 Lightning II, at the minute, you fly it like it's on ice, sliding around, hard to quickly turn, and when you do turn around, you keep going in the initial direction.

I propose a second flight mode that you activate by pressing a key, or putting down a new block, that may or may not have a mass limit, that is pretty much like the way a jet flies. You make a sharp turn? You go in the new direction, not drifting 1km away from where you want to be :p

The reason I say Limited Mass, is to stop Large Ships being OP.
    A similar effect can be achieved with a flight computer that automatically fires thrusters to get you going "forward" relative to your ship after you rotate it. If you have enough thrust, it'll just about do what you're asking for. I've wanted a toggleable flight computer like this for a while now. I love Newtonian physics (@#$% linear damping!) but sometimes an extra control option is helpful.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Some of the turns we are making in game would turn a human to jelly. viva la non-realism.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Some of the turns we are making in game would turn a human to jelly. viva la non-realism.
    The presence of highly selective, centripetal artificial gravity indicate that we probably have sufficient technology to negate inertia as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    A similar effect can be achieved with a flight computer that automatically fires thrusters to get you going "forward" relative to your ship after you rotate it. If you have enough thrust, it'll just about do what you're asking for. I've wanted a toggleable flight computer like this for a while now. I love Newtonian physics (@#$% linear damping!) but sometimes an extra control option is helpful.
    A game called Space Rogue actually had a just that, a Newtonian Flight Mode that you could choose in addition to the zero-G flight. I think that there was even a similar explanation as to how it worked in the manual. Starmade tech is fairly advanced so I think they'd have the technology to emulate that flight type with their engines.

Reactions: Meshua_x

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A game called Space Rogue actually had a just that, a Newtonian Flight Mode that you could choose in addition to the zero-G flight. I think that there was even a similar explanation as to how it worked in the manual. Starmade tech is fairly advanced so I think they'd have the technology to emulate that flight type with their engines.
    Vega Strike also used a similar system, but it was less customizable. In "shelton slide" (flight computer off) you could only change course with afterburners. Starmade could do better.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The presence of highly selective, centripetal artificial gravity indicate that we probably have sufficient technology to negate inertia as well.
    Yeah, I always wanted to see what would happen if you switched the inertial dampeners on the Enterprise off during combat just to see how many sponges you would actually need.