Fleets working without Bobby AI

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    While on a server, I built a single mining drone and turned it into a fleet. I then realized it doesn't have a bobby AI modal on it. After remembering that ships in fleets would move without thrust, I decided to see if they would follow orders without AI. They in fact do. I have ordered it to move to sectors, ordered it to mine and even get into formation.

I'm going to assume its a bug. But wanted to make sure before I reported it.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    They haven't commented on it really. Its likely you might need a bobby AI or crew, I'm not sure.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Iirc, bobby and/or crew will be needed for any non-player ship.
    I do not believe this is a bug, it's just not implemented yet.
    Unfortunately, I am unable to find my reference. :(

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    While on a server, I built a single mining drone and turned it into a fleet. I then realized it doesn't have a bobby AI modal on it. After remembering that ships in fleets would move without thrust, I decided to see if they would follow orders without AI. They in fact do. I have ordered it to move to sectors, ordered it to mine and even get into formation.

I'm going to assume its a bug. But wanted to make sure before I reported it.
    When they first released fleets, they explained that fleets will work with or without a bobby AI on the ship. This is not a bug, this is as intended.

Reaction score
    Huh. Doesn't feel legit without putting a Bobby on those drones to me. I will continue to do so for RP purposes, I guess...

Until this is better implemented?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This is intentional, pretty sure Criss said so on one of the streams. It's a temporary thing until we get crew.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    The way the game works, you don't need a bobby AI to have working AI on an entity. It's only there for a gameplay perspective.
    Fleets currently don't care about it right now but at some point they will, most likely when we introduce crew to function with ships.

I'm repeating what was said before in this thread but now there shouldn't be any room for doubt :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    thanks for the responses. The update came out a while ago and I just started messing with fleets. Guess I missed that no bobby is needed for now.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Bobby ai module is actually just an interface to interact with the AI that lives in every shipcore.