Fleet Operations and Stars.

Reaction score
    If I direct a 'fleet' from point A to point B - assume a transport ship taking raw materials to a factory station that is several systems away - how can I avoid running into stars and planets? Can I?

I am attempting to automate my supply chain from mining to refinement to production without me having to fly all over the place...

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Fleets still need to be improved quite a bit, AI and functionality-wise. For now, you have to have a point C at the lower left vertex of an L-shaped angle. When the fleet reaches C, you have to manually tell them to then head to B.

Edit: Unless there aren't any players keeping the sun's sector loaded. As explained by DrTarDIS below;

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    AFAIK Fleets don't care about stars if the sector doesn't have a player in it. you can "park" your ships in the core of a star and they won't care unless a player comes to visit. You can ignore stars in most fleet operations because of that.

getting them to dock and undock reliably though, now that's a kicker I haven't quite figured out yet.

Reactions: JumpSuit

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    AFAIK Fleets don't care about stars if the sector doesn't have a player in it. you can "park" your ships in the core of a star and they won't care unless a player comes to visit. You can ignore stars in most fleet operations because of that.

getting them to dock and undock reliably though, now that's a kicker I haven't quite figured out yet.
    I did not know this, thank you! You have saved me much more time navigating 'unloaded' fleets. ^-^

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is correct. The fleet will only actually "exist" as long as it is in loaded space (space within a couple sectors of an active player). Once it gets out of that range, it unloads along with everything else and the system just calculates where it should be given maximum speed and has the ships re-appear at the destination (assuming someone is there to see them) after the appropriate amount of time.

So unless there are players sitting in the path of the fleet forcing it to remain loaded, stars and planets aren't an issue.

On a side note, this is also an EXCELLENT way to get somewhere safely yourself. Put yourself on a ship in a fleet, command the fleet to move somewhere, then log out. The ship will unload, and in however much longer later it gets to the destination you log back in, and bam, you're there.

Last edited: