Fleet Issues

Reaction score
    Having a number of issues here. First off mining ships within a fleet won't mine. They're set as second in the fleet under the carrier ship in the fleet. I give it the mine sector command it just flies off. I saw from some other posts that this has been an issue before from back in January. Is this still not fixed? Second when I do tell it to mine and it starts to fly off I get drug along with it. I am outside the ship and am moving with it. When I attempt to go in a different direction I can but the second I stop moving I get drug along again. Third I cannot get the mining drone to redock with the carrier. I have docked it and undocked it while part of the fleet and when given the command it does nothing. Is there a good tutorial on how to actually set up and use the fleets or this all still just broken and not been updated?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Fleet mining I find to be a little tricky. The drones seems to be hit or miss based on its design. So some designs work and some others don't. Sometimes a restart of the server also helps to get the mining command working. But on the current release and on the dev build I have managed to get mining drones working.

For the carrier recall command the drone has to be manually docked using a pickup point. If you dock using the docking beam that doesn't count. Use a pickup rail to dock the ship it will then try to head to that point when the carrier recall command is given. Note the drones will try to fly thr0ugh everything to get to that point on the ship, there is no collision avoidance. So to make things work easier separate all the pickup points by quite a distance so multiple drones docking don't get in each others way. Also pull all those docking points on one side of the ship so you can point that side towards them and then do the carrier recall command. Otherwise they will bump out you out of position. Also as they are recalled any pickup point that's in range will pick them up resulting in them being on the wrong rail. Another reason to separate the pickup points. Try to avoid using one pickup point for all drones as they will crash into each other and hardly any of them will dock.

Reactions: Batavium
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I do tell it to mine and it starts to fly off I get drug along with it. I am outside the ship and am moving with it. When I attempt to go in a different direction I can but the second I stop moving I get drug along again.
    I will give an answer to this part. It might be that you are still in alignment with the ship. When you are outside the ship hit the spacebar and it will say no longer aligned with. Hit the spacebar again after a few seconds to realign. That would be the simple solution. :)) If that ain't it than add it to the list below.

First off mining ships within a fleet won't mine.
    Third I cannot get the mining drone to redock with the carrier.
    I never use fleets like this. So I can not answer that part. But there are people here that know this stuff so common peoples help a fellow StarMader out. His question has not been asked for a while. It will be nice to know how the current state of the game deals with this.

LOL nvm Mork2 answered the very second i posted this Thank you

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You might need to restart the server or game to get the drones to head off to the asteroids. The first ship in fleet will not mine. Usually set that one up as the carrier with defensive weapons.

The trick I find is if the drones aren't balanced enough, just spin around and not activate the miners. As to what balanced means I'm not completely sure as most of my answers for this is guesses. It seems when I have the core towards the rear end of the miner rather than the centre the drones seem to fail to align and aim properly at the asteroid so if fails to fire.

I have more success using straight salvage beams rather than salvage-cannons. It seems the AI is set to fire the salvagers on a certain time period so salvage cannons never stay on all the time but pulse.

A high thrust mass ration may also effect the miner design as a low thrust mass ratio might drift the drones past where there suppose to be thus making them spin around trying to get back into position.

Otherwise I really find it hit and miss on which drones actually work. So the above guesses with the drone design could be wrong.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Batavium