• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Intro:

OK, so I was thinking about fleets for Star Made. Yes I know these have been confirmed but there's something that's not clear about it. How do you control your fleet? I think it would be cool if in your flag ship/mother ship there could be a holo table. Let me explane.

The holo table:

So basically it a large table that would be placed on your ship. You would use blocks called holo blocks that would display the sector your in on it. You could imagine it floating in your ship showing everything, planets, ships and stations. From here this is where you would control your fleet.

The format:

OK so when you turn your holo table on (via activation block) you would see your sector. Stations would be designated by triangles, Planets would be designated by hexagons and ships would be designated by squares. when any of these entity's are in your faction the color of the icon will be green. When they are in an enemy faction the icons are red. When they are neutral the icon is blue. Planets will be designated with brown.

The controls:

The holo table will display the sector in 3D of course. When controlling ships you can draw a box or select a single ship by holding left click and drag or just left click with a new gun called the controller.when you select the ships it will show the classes of the ships/ship (designated by you). from here you will be able to move the ships with right click or target a ship. To target a ship you would right click it and a small pop up menu will come up. From here you can target different systems, example: Power, shields, ex.

Warp:

I think from this table you should be able to set a jump point for your fleet. It would work like navigation. You would open up a menu and type in your cords. In context to this I think you should be able to go as far as you wanted with warp. but the farther you go the longer it takes. When I say this I mean long periods not like seconds. If you've ever watched StarWars or StarGate you'll know what i mean just not as slow, just a bit faster.

Thank you for reading. Please answer the poll so that I know if this was a good idea or not. This is my first post. When you read this I'm trying to put a RTS feel into Star Made or at least suggest it. I hope you like this.

Reactions: Arkudo

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I really like the idea of a hologram rather than a menu. The immersion is a thousand times better!

I'm a little concerned about the frame rate on my machine though. On the other hand, it wouldn't cause issues while I'm not looking at the thing, so I'm not all that worried.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I really like the idea of a hologram rather than a menu. The immersion is a thousand times better!

I'm a little concerned about the frame rate on my machine though. On the other hand, it wouldn't cause issues while I'm not looking at the thing, so I'm not all that worried.
    You will have the ability to turn off the table when not using it.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You will have the ability to turn off the table when not using it.
    If I'm trying to use it, 4-8 FPS wouldn't be very nice, but of course if it were properly optimized, several particle-style images floating around shouldn't be THAT bad, maybe a 5 FPS drop at worst.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    The holo table:

So basically it a large table that would be placed on your ship. You would use blocks called holo blocks that would display the sector your in on it. You could imagine it floating in your ship showing everything, planets, ships and stations. From here this is where you would control your fleet.
    I've been doing some experimenting with display modules lately, and discovered a way you could replicate a top-down radar. However it would not actually be a 3D holographic projection (I tried to get that to work too, but it isn't a feasible option with how display modules currently work). There's certainly the foundation for something like that at least on a 2D plane, however I'm not sure how much extra work it would be for schema to try and implement this in 3 dimensions.

I suppose if he tried to combine some code it could be possible. Essentially he could take the data from the current minimap and have those dots project into a space above the holo module, then he might be able to use the code for the big 3D (P) map where you can look through the sectors, so you could hit R on the holo/map module to take control of the "cursor" selecting a sector would reveal the last loaded contents in that sector and allow you to scroll through them like the sectors on the map.

These are just theories, but after thinking, I do believe something like it could be possible, and I've been trying to fake a 3D holo map for a week or two, but have been unsuccessful. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. =)

Reactions: Arkudo
    Reaction score
    I definitely like the idea, Although I'd suggest making stations squares, and ships triangles, as opposed to the other way around that you suggested. This is because with the triangles for ships (Isosceles would be ideal) , you could have an indication of the facing of the ship, which doesn't matter anywhere near as much for stations.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I definitely like the idea, Although I'd suggest making stations squares, and ships triangles, as opposed to the other way around that you suggested. This is because with the triangles for ships (Isosceles would be ideal) , you could have an indication of the facing of the ship, which doesn't matter anywhere near as much for stations.
    good idia[DOUBLEPOST=1412655530,1412655326][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I've been doing some experimenting with display modules lately, and discovered a way you could replicate a top-down radar. However it would not actually be a 3D holographic projection (I tried to get that to work too, but it isn't a feasible option with how display modules currently work). There's certainly the foundation for something like that at least on a 2D plane, however I'm not sure how much extra work it would be for schema to try and implement this in 3 dimensions.

I suppose if he tried to combine some code it could be possible. Essentially he could take the data from the current minimap and have those dots project into a space above the holo module, then he might be able to use the code for the big 3D (P) map where you can look through the sectors, so you could hit R on the holo/map module to take control of the "cursor" selecting a sector would reveal the last loaded contents in that sector and allow you to scroll through them like the sectors on the map.

These are just theories, but after thinking, I do believe something like it could be possible, and I've been trying to fake a 3D holo map for a week or two, but have been unsuccessful. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. =)
    I did think about display modules making the 3D table but came to the conclusion it would be better for it to be one block. and chose a new weapon for controlling it because R is the default activation which would be used to turn the table on/off

P.S. I'm a big fan of your channel cant wait to see what the Lion Heart will look like.

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    First, yes I want this

Second, yes I want this

Third, I think it would be great if the player's point of view zoomed into the holo table so it took up the whole screen

I am greatly hoping this will be implemented

Reaction score
    I'm not sure if this feature has been taken out, put if you press "p", then shift, it shows you a 3d map of the system you're in. you can explore the map too, but it only shows your ship, planets, and stations that have spawned currently. Schema should use the AI tab and this map I think, kind of like a built in hologram, and communications device in your suit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I do know this and that's why I think it shouldn't be too hard to implement since there's already a map.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The map is the most basic map I've ever seen. You don't know what is up, down, left or right, and to figure that out you need to travel a couple of sectors first.

Good news is that the map might finally get updated in the near future, maybe even alongside the upcoming universe changes. Otherwise we'll definitely be getting a better map in the hyperdrive update. It would just make sense to know where you are going first.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    The map is the most basic map I've ever seen. You son't know what is up, down, left or right, and to figure that out you need to travel a couple of sectors first.

Good news is that the map might finally get updated in the near future, maybe even alongside the upcoming universe changes. Otherwise we'll definitely be getting a better map in the hyperdrive update. It would just make sense to know where you are going first.
    The map would be a base for the coding. It would make the holo map allot more easy.