Flash/Search lights and Lighting tweaks

Reaction score
    While the new(ish) shadow system, things look really cool, in some cases things can get very dark. For example if you are trying to find ores on the dark side of an asteroid, it can be difficult to see anything. I think it would both be useful, and add a cool feel to the game if your player had a helmet mounted personal flashlight, and if there was a new searchlight block for ships.

I feel that this, combined with a bit of a lighting overhaul like that in this suggestion thread could add a great deal of depth and ambiance to the game. Regarding the lighting system, as that thread mentions, the current lights are a bit harsh, it would be good if they had a greater radius of effect, with less intensity at the source. Miow22 also suggested in that thread, floodlights, which could have a similar effect to search lights, but more spread out, allowing you to light up hangers and the likes with just a few lights.

On the flip side, it could also be cool if stars were more spread out, and/or their light dropped off faster with distance, so you would get areas of space with very little light. With the relatively brightly coloured backgrounds in most sectors, the silhouettes of ships would still be easy enough to spot, unless they hid themselves against an asteroid or dark side of a planet.

This would collectively enable some cool new gameplay features, such as
    • The ability to search derelict, dark ships or space stations in a horror game-esque fasion, with only your flashlight for light. With new upcoming creatures system, you could have nasty surprises waiting in the shadows.
    • You could use light to your advantage in battles, if you're losing the fight, you could seek a dark asteroid field, turn out your lights,and while your opponent is searching for you, try to make a dash for safety, that is if they don't find you first with their searchlights.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yes, there should be darker places in space. Also, it'd be cool if the flashlight was attached to the helmet, and we could give our flashlights custom textures as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    a lot of stuff could be added and tweaked with lighting, right now I'm building a ship interior first and the sheer amount of light blocks it takes to light an entire room is insane, plus doing this it makes it so bright it's almost hard on the eyes

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    a lot of stuff could be added and tweaked with lighting, right now I'm building a ship interior first and the sheer amount of light blocks it takes to light an entire room is insane, plus doing this it makes it so bright it's almost hard on the eyes
    Yeah, I know that feeling... I now place 1 - 2 together then spaced every 2 or 3 blocks away from each other and it seems to help. depending on the color used as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    also u need to test different colored hulls with lights, I learned the hard way that white lights CANNOT go with white hull unless you don't really care for your retinas, blue works better but then it is either this bright ungodly hue or complete shadowy darkness. really annoying