Read by Council Flamethower-like weapon idea. Unleash your inner pyromaniac (aka Plasma Burst Generator in X3)

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I did a quick forum search and came up with nothing, so here it goes:

I know it's extremely unlikely that a new weapon system would be introduced, but I'll give it a shot anyway. A flamethrower. Yes, you heard it right. A goddamn flamethrower. Or, rather a weapon that fires in a similar pattern to a flamethrower (FT from now on). Something similar to the Plasma Burst Generator found in X3TC. Now, you might ask, how could this be different from missile slaved weapons (shotgun groupings)? Answer is simple. Instead of firing multiple tiny projectiles, the burst behaves more like a pulse that in fired forward, creating an area that damages enemy ships (obviously still not penetrating the outer layer of blocks because that would defy the purpose of armor).

Picture 1, a happy flamethrower user. Do you want to be as happy as him? I know you do, keep reading.

Now, how scalable would the weapon's burst be? There are two options:

1) Simply scales with DPS This is a more adaptible and simple solution.
    2) Stays the same. This would automaticly make the weapon not only more viable for small ships by the size of the burst, but it would also do more damage to large, moving ships because the created burst would stay around for 1-3 seconds and the burst would be able to deal more damage ticks to the enemy ship, giving another edge for small ships over large ones (because people complain about small ships being UP).

Finally, how would the ship work as a primary/secondary system?

Primary:
    FT+Cannon: Increased firing rate
    FT+Beam: The burst extends further
    FT+Missile: The burst extends wider or fires multiple bursts in a shotgun-like faction (shotgun flamethrower. It can't get more 'murica than that :p)
    FT+Pulse: Firing rate reduced, does way more damage
    FT+Minelayer: Flamethrower fires as a regular cannon-like projectile for some distance and after some time explodes into a burst
    BONUS (original suggestion: http://starmadedock.net/threads/electrical-tesla-coil-weapon-type.5002/)
    FT+Coilgun: Along with its regular damage, the burst field would confuse any electic coil lasers or any type of tracking missiles.

Secondary:
    Cannon+FT: Don't know, I'm open for suggestions
    Beam+FT: No idea.
    Missile+FT: Fires like a regular missile, except where it hits, instead of regular missile damage forms a spherical, pulse-like burst. Useful for attacking numerous turret segments.
    Pulse+FT: Increases pulse's lifespan
    Minelayer+FT: Instead of a regular mine, it lays a pulse-like spherical energy field projectile. When an enemy touches the projectile, it'll start dealing pulse damage. While dealing damage, the energy ball thing would shrink until disappearing completely.
    BONUS (original suggestion: http://starmadedock.net/threads/electrical-tesla-coil-weapon-type.5002/)
    Coilgun+FT: Fires as a regular cannon-like projectile for some distance and after some time explodes into a burst that will head for the nearest enemy.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I'm going to throw this concept out there...

100% Flamethrower secondary could do 50% block damage and, perhaps, 50% bonus HP damage on top of it, perhaps? The drawback to this idea is that we'd need to have the HP update implemented totally first, with HP being a separate metric from total block HP.

Flamethrower secondary effects, of course, being useable alongside Ion and EMP effects to disable and capture ships mostly intact.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You know, in the newest dev blog, they do mention a new weapon type that is as-of-yet unannounced. So, for all we know, it is a flamethrower.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You know, in the newest dev blog, they do mention a new weapon type that is as-of-yet unannounced. So, for all we know, it is a flamethrower.
    yes, but it is most likely going to be the minelayers that they mentioned a while back. still, it could be...

Reaction score
    This would be a cool weapon, but I dont think we would see anything like that until after they add particle effects to the game. Flames without particle effect dont usually look very good. But I think this would be awesome to set up booby traps inside your own larger ships to fry invaders coming down the hallway.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    this is actually a pretty cool idea. would be a great way to show off the particle effects system thats still WIP. Of course PBGs were unbelievable OP in x3 and from what you described it sounds like another "Melee" weapon like the Damage Pulse. Best thing would be to fold this into the Damage Pulse rather then make another weapon entirely

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    this is actually a pretty cool idea. would be a great way to show off the particle effects system thats still WIP. Of course PBGs were unbelievable OP in x3 and from what you described it sounds like another "Melee" weapon like the Damage Pulse. Best thing would be to fold this into the Damage Pulse rather then make another weapon entirely

Damage pulse would need to be changed somewhat for it to work with a forward conical spray. I don't really think it's a "melee" weapon, though, given that it could potentially have a couple hundred meters of range

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Not exactly a melee wepon. It's more like mid-to-low range, high-spread anti-large ship/group of smaller ships weapon. I think it's a bit too different from pulse to be merged into one system.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I wish to be the happy flamethrower man, thus I say yes to this. :D

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That's quite few replies for a thread I spent a lot of time writing :/

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    *still waits for the fancy "recognized" badge

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As for the effect of the FT as secondary system I thought about something like a damage over time effect (applied to blocks that have been damaged but not destroyed).

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    As for the effect of the FT as secondary system I thought about something like a damage over time effect (applied to blocks that have been damaged but not destroyed).
    That is also a very interesting idea, I like it.

And for the badge, that was quick lol