Flak : defense for medium to large ships

Reaction score
    I think that small flak cannon like on battleship are needed. These would fire one small explosive round ever 4 seconds . I think the blast could be 5 x 5. The range gun would be limited to 350 m and blast would cause small amount of damage to shield , but 1.75 that to hull. leaving that the amount the of damage and the amount of the power its needs up to the developers Also at 50 m that they try to take out missiles. round will explode if they fly with in 8 or 5 m of a the target. This mean that a round could explode with cause any damage because the max blast is 5 x 5. they would not be made out of multiple block but one block that is shaped like a small turret that fit on the outside of hull and have the protection of the ship's shield and power .These flak cannons will fire automatic on attack or emery ships. their would one control hub that support for 8 gun inside the ship or multiple control hub depending on if the players would want to add more guns . They could miss their target by 3 to 10 m depending on the range and speed of the target. Because it was leaving that and the power its needs up to developers The cost per turret is 20,000 and the cost per control hub is 90,000. The logic behind this is that battleship in real life have AA defense and their main guns. So why not for space battle ships. turret.png

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    1. missile turrets do not shot down other missile

2. turrets need to have their own power and shields

3. turrets have to have big to get enough power and shields and can make a ship look ugly

4. In reality it would be sensible for turrets to be protection of the ship's shield and have from power the ship

5. you have get blocks many to build turrets, mine only need one block

6. no block units are needed for mine

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    1. missile turrets do not shot down other missile

2. turrets need to have their own power and shields

3. turrets have to have big to get enough power and shields and can make a ship look ugly

4. In reality it would be sensible for turrets to be protection of the ship's shield and have from power the ship

5. you have get blocks many to build turrets, mine only need one block

1. In reality, that would only work on heat seeking missiles by firing hot objects, distracting the targeting system. To literally shoot down another missile would be near impossible.

2. They do use power from the root ship, just not shields.

3. Again, they use power from the root ship. They do need their own shields though. However, proper AA/Flaks/Whatever aren't exactly what you would call small either.

4. Once more, they do use power from the ship. Ship shields covering turrets is another entirely different subject that has been discussed before.

5. That's because turrets aren't small. A single block turret would mean you could cover your entire ship in just these and it would be incredibly powerful. More power needs more space.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    1. In reality, that would only work on heat seeking missiles by firing hot objects, distracting the targeting system. To literally shoot down another missile would be near impossible.
    For some long time there are Point Defense turrets mounted on navy ships. And also there are/soon will be similar systems mounted on tanks or other vehicles.
    PD turrets on ships work by shooting a lot of bullets in front of missiles, but smaller ground vehicles systems work by shooting and detonating explosives in front of the missile.

5. That's because turrets aren't small. A single block turret would mean you could cover your entire ship in just these and it would be incredibly powerful. More power needs more space.
    Totally right, the suggestion is so much over-powered and not needed, because soon we will get weapons update with plenty of combinations and additional effects like radius of explosion.
    To the idea of shooting down the missiles - i'd like to see this in game. But with adding such mechanics, missiles would need to be buffed, because probably most of them would get shot down, making them useless.

Reaction score
    this pic flak size compare to the main guns. I must have a old tutorial on turret about them needing power blocks. Readied that military was think about use rail gun to take ICBM and Game called Free Space ship do use laser to shot down missile and bomb. I want my turret to be short ranged have a max 700m. Because is you used my AA cannons than someone else would out range you with AMCs.

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS

flaks are quite old anti-aircraft guns, not anti-missiles

1 block weapon with mother-ship shield and 700m range is totally OP and i don't think there is a room in Starmade for such unbalanced weapon. I'm not giving any examples of abusing this weapon or why it's not balanced, because i think it's clearly visible.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    For some long time there are Point Defense turrets mounted on navy ships. And also there are/soon will be similar systems mounted on tanks or other vehicles.
    PD turrets on ships work by shooting a lot of bullets in front of missiles, but smaller ground vehicles systems work by shooting and detonating explosives in front of the missile.
    That is true, but with explosive projectiles (unless they are being cluster-fired at an unimaginable rate) it would be difficult.

Reaction score
    After read your posts I am going to make some change to the first post and clear up some points.

1. they will have a max range of 350 m

2. The control hub can only support 8 turrets. That with one control hub player most like would put their turrets in place or one the back, front, sides, top and bottom with 2 more near the bridge

3. will fire at missile were are 50m, because the gun fire one small explosive round ever 4 seconds is lot of time of missile to hit

4. round will explode if they fly with in 8 or 5 m of a the target. this mean that round could explode will cause any damage because the max blast the round is 5 x 5

5. I in the first post in did not say how much damage the round only that cause very little to shields and 1.75 time that to hull. Because it was leaving that and the power its needs up to developers

6. I did have the gun be able to miss a target 1 to 10 depending on the range. I think that you guys may have miss that. Howere I am change that to 3 to 10 depending on the range and speed of the target.

7. price per turrets is 20,000 and price per control hub is 90,000. The price for system with 8 gun and control hub 1 would 250,000

Reaction score
    Um ... wasn't there suppose to be flak cannons in the new weapons system. Think it was suppose to be a combo between AMCs and the Mines.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    I was hoping for a new weapon not combo between olds ones
    It's a cannon shot with a delay timer on it. That's what a flak cannon is.

Weapon systems will be working differently in the future. You have your flak cannon, be happy.

Reactions: Winterhome