Fix missiles so they are actually useful.

Should missile-beam be fixed so it works in groups again without these ridiculous power costs?

• Total voters

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I wouldn't consider swarmers op since if you have a ship with 100% overdrive effect those seekers become mostly useless. In a vanilla settings game the most speed available is less than 150m/s max overdrive is = 150m/s and at that speed each group is only firing one missile.
    Most ships cannot support 100% overdrive. Additionally, that only works if you're moving AWAY from the missiles.

Swarmers are not overpowered. They are just obnoxious, lazy, and a pain in the ass to deal with due to bugs making them stronger than they should be.

Also you can use your imagination and knowledge of missile behavior to make up odd ball defenses like this one:
    Yeah, because those wouldn't make docking a pain in the ass in the slightest.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I wouldn't consider swarmers op since if you have a ship with 100% overdrive effect those seekers become mostly useless. In a vanilla settings game the most speed available is less than 150m/s max overdrive is = 150m/s and at that speed each group is only firing one missile.

Also you can use your imagination and knowledge of missile behavior to make up odd ball defenses like this one:

Be smarter than the missile.
    Nice, looks like my planned 'orbit cannon' design but faster... Muuuuch faster. o_O

Swarmers are not overpowered. They are just obnoxious, lazy, and a pain in the ass to deal with due to bugs making them stronger than they should be.
    You guys had me under the impression that these are working as intended. Is it really a bug or just a planned nuisance?

Also, what do you guys think of my last balance proposal?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    You guys had me under the impression that these are working as intended. Is it really a bug or just a planned nuisance?
    I am certain that cloaking is not intended to be foiled by swarm missiles. Cloaking is meant to be foiled by scanners.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nice, looks like my planned 'orbit cannon' design but faster... Muuuuch faster. o_O

Also, what do you guys think of my last balance proposal?

If they all target the nearest entity it would make my orbital decoy even more effective, but them focusing on entities in front of the firing ship ,not just the closest one, would be suitable. I'd agree to the alpha strike damage if the missile were changed to fire more like the jump drive.

-Partially detach missiles from the capacitance requirement and charge them like jump drives in order to fire, the greater the missiles power requirement the greater the total charge required instead of requiring massive capacitance.
    -The ship capacitance comes into play with relation to charge time in that the amount applied to the charge total is based on a percentage of the ships available capacitance.
    -This leads to a fighter returning to base reload mechanic . The fighter can choose to attempt reloading on its own but it will be much slower than docking to carrier/station which would boost its available capacitance by the capacitance of the carrier/station.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy
    Reaction score
    I do not see that missiles are broken either, in fact I consider them powerful yet very well balanced.

If you take missile/pulse for example, you get the single, most devastating weapon in the game. If you just build 80 blocks total of that combination, you get a missile that deals 140,000 damage in a single hit, enough to completely erase small ships from the game, and at a range outside most other weapons. To balance that, power cost is insanely huge (740,000 power if I remember correctly), and so is the reload time, but this just has to be in place, otherwise those would be the dominating weapon system.

Yes missile defense systems exist, and that is all fine and dandy, because that promotes smart play vs block-stacking. And then you still have enough options available to still get your killer missile to hit:
    - Fire several heat-seekers as decoys first.
    - Use beams to take out missile defense turrets first.
    - Fly close enough so that your missile hits before the turrets can destroy it. You can still always fire guided missiles as dumb-fire if you want to.

Dumb-fire missiles (missile/cannon) and long-range missiles (missile/beam) also play valid roles in combat, and feel very balanced to me at this time. You just have to find the right tool for your target in both offense and defense, and none is a "can do everything" solution, exactly as it should be.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Go right ahead.
    Just so you are aware.. Skype is an easily hacked system. It keeps its chatlog in a SQL database, Any old idiot can edit what someone said with the right tools..

Such as this here.

A friendly reminder that if anyone where to get a schine member to speak with them on skype it would be all too easy to edit what was said and have it look like that person is acting differently then what was otherwise a perfectly normal convo.

As for the so called "bug" that is entirely intended and prevents missile spam... Something that is an issue

To fix... Use more missile computers to reset the power loss by splitting the group of say... 4o to 20 and effectively harfing the debuff while retaining the same raw power of the 40 groups and then if you wish set them off with logic or fire them rapidly.

Also I hope people are aware of the fact that this debuff applies to ALL weapons!

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Just so you are aware.. Skype is an easily hacked system. It keeps its chatlog in a SQL database, Any old idiot can edit what someone said with the right tools..

Such as this here.

A friendly reminder that if anyone where to get a schine member to speak with them on skype it would be all too easy to edit what was said and have it look like that person is acting differently then what was otherwise a perfectly normal convo.

As for the so called "bug" that is entirely intended and prevents missile spam... Something that is an issue

To fix... Use more missile computers to reset the power loss by splitting the group of say... 4o to 20 and effectively harfing the debuff while retaining the same raw power of the 40 groups and then if you wish set them off with logic or fire them rapidly.

Also I hope people are aware of the fact that this debuff applies to ALL weapons!
    *edits some text in a database* im a master haxor

AndyP already cleared up the chatlog with me over PM. The original argument this post was about was resolved, with missiles only having a 2.5% power increase with extra outputs instead of the standard 10% now. Also, you're over a month late to the party.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    *edits some text in a database* im a master haxor

AndyP already cleared up the chatlog with me over PM. The original argument this post was about was resolved, with missiles only having a 2.5% power increase with extra outputs instead of the standard 10% now. Also, you're over a month late to the party.
    Its better then allowing false chatlogs of a schine member get spread around without people knowing.

Also that isn't my video :)

Last edited: