First time Shipyard woes

Reaction score
    I have been watching videos and posts on shipyards. I made it in the general shape everyone seems to use. I have redone the blocks at least 6 times now and it keeps on giving me the structure invalid and the C Shape error messages. The ends line up and I even matched the textures so that the same texture faces into the center of the shipyard on all the arms. none of the arms are over 32 blocks away from each other. The only things i can think of are the shipyard computer is in the wrong spot or its because i'm using a build block inside a space station to build it right up against the station. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I built a copy of this yard and it worked. Hope this video helps.

Reaction score
    That was the last video i watched. he explained it very well but its the detailed things i must be missing. Most of the other videos are either in lets play or super fast play mode so you cant get the fine details down. like the exact way the arches need to be made with their spacing and block count versus the rest of the arm tec.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It would help to have a blueprint of the structure as it is right now.

If you built in symmetry mode, you need to have only one set of linear c-shaped arms linked to the shipyard computer. One computer is not allowed to have two sets of C-shaped shipyard areas linked at the same time.

Building right up against the station should be fine.

When creating angles, the shipyard modules should meet face-to-face, not just edge-to-edge. In other words, when building the angle, any part of the angle should be at least two shipyard modules long, and the next part of the angle should overlap the previous part, so that there is solid shipyard modules all the way around the "C", without gaps.

Try removing the shipyard computer with symmetry off and add it back, and slave the C-shaped shipyard module sections back to the computer. (Use Shift-V to slave the entire C-shaped grouping of modules at once.)

Build a cross-member between endpoints of the C-shapes, to ensure they are all equally long.

Make sure there aren't any stray shipyard modules that were accidentally built in a strange place.

Making sure just a single array of C-shaped shipyard modules are linked to the shipyard computer should eliminate the error you described.

I almost always build with symmetry mode on, but I recommend leaving it off while you build the shipyard.

The vertical and horizontal distances of the C-shape is arbitrary, and can be almost any length, up until the game fails. The individual blocks all have to be connected to a face of the one or two adjacent modules. Every module block should only have one or two modules attached to it.

Ensure that there are no gaps in the slaved modules. Shift-V mass-slaving really helps here.

BuildingAShipyard.png

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Tips for getting past the "invalid shape" error message:

- Symmetry planes are your best friend. Use them to build the same arc in a matching pattern.
    - Use the copy and paste functions along with the symmetry planes to make sure your shipyard arcs all match each other.
    - With the shipyard computer selected (use the "C" key), check and make sure ALL of your shipyard modules are selected. If even one is unselected, you will get the error.
    - Holding SHIFT and pressing the "V" key will allow you to connect/disconnect multiple shipyard modules simultaneously.
    - Make sure you don't exceed the maximum distance between shipyard arcs. I think the default configuration is 30 meters. I use 25 to be on the safe side.
    - If your yard is huge (capitals anyone?) use a symmetry plane that bisects the yard length-wise, then "trim" 1 shipyard block from the arc at a time to ensure both sides of the arc match. I recommend doing this with a long build helper to hit multiple arcs at once. You'll know this was the problem if ALL your arcs have the above error and the one you modified does not. This last tip is key since it is VERY easy to get carried away with regard to the size of your yard.

I hope this helps you.

Reaction score
    im following all of your instructions. just found that one of my arms was one block higher than the rest. checking the others now. and thank you for the shift+v thing. almost cried when i saw it work.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1463784791,1463783663][/DOUBLEPOST]Thank you very much. between that errant arm i missed like a dork and breaking and rebinding the shipyard computer its up and running. now to get to designing new ships.:)

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Glad to help you. Happy building. ;)