First real ship...sorry about the beak. (Updated)

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hello all. this seemed like the place to show ships so here goes.

I bought this game just before xmas and have been glued to it since. My pirates were originally disabled so I just fought stations for a while. Now I've got some pirate blueprints turned on so it's more interesting. Everything just seemed to get bigger and bigger so I read some posts and checked out the advanced builder in game a came up with this. It's not...handsome.

Sun Hawk Explorer

SUNHAWK1.jpg
    the look was not intentional but my son said it looked like an angry parrot so I figured what the hell.
    mass 1310
    49m length 33m height 23m width
    1,220,000p/12300 regen
    shield 55000/5500 regen

quad in-line cannon
    rapid dumb fire missile column
    swarm array
    guided array
    massive guided array
    2 deluxe missile pods 5000s
    2 standard pods 3000s
    2 anti-missile turrets
    4 deck smallish living space (I might do something with this but I may just fill it with more shields depending on how combat testing goes)
    Devourer class salvage array

It's all pretty new to me so I'm just trying out a bunch of everything. I think I'll keep this hull concept though. thanks for listening.
    SUNHAWK3.jpg SHBACK.jpg

SHSIDE.jpg

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I actually quite like the design, It it were larger with more wedge/penta/tetra work, it'd look extremely nice.

It's pretty damn good for one of your first ships, though i'm curious, why 1.2 million power capacity? I'd use that space to build a more efficient reactor and go down to about 200k - 500k power storage.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I actually quite like the design, It it were larger with more wedge/penta/tetra work, it'd look extremely nice.

It's pretty damn good for one of your first ships, though i'm curious, why 1.2 million power capacity? I'd use that space to build a more efficient reactor and go down to about 200k - 500k power storage.
    Thank you. Your opinions are valued.

Purely to power the experimental weapon in the bottom of the ship. After testing it seemed to be a sweet spot in order to fire the three main packages on after the other and have enough left in the tanks to still operate all systems. After some more testing I may play with the ratios a bit. Entire upper middle hull is effectively empty. I wanted room to expand without breaking the hull.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Also, for screenshots, use f5 for with HUD, and f6 for no HUD. Screenshots are put in the 'Starmade' folder the game is running from.

Reaction score
    Looks like a portable station, which is what a real spaceship looks like (see ISS) Pretty good! I like asymmetrical and unusual designs.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Also, for screenshots, use f5 for with HUD, and f6 for no HUD. Screenshots are put in the 'Starmade' folder the game is running from.
    Thanks. I was wondering. my f12 steam button crashes the game as of 24hr ago and I couldn't do screen grabs in fullscreen. I had to go roundabout.
    Looks like a portable station, which is what a real spaceship looks like (see ISS) Pretty good! I like asymmetrical and unusual designs.
    It's designed from the standpoint of modular platform rather than a ship as such. Each of those turrets has about 2 or 3 versions for different roles. I tried to make the hull mostly equidistant from the weapons on the "central circumference".

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Thanks. I was wondering. my f12 steam button crashes the game as of 24hr ago and I couldn't do screen grabs in fullscreen. I had to go roundabout.
    That is probably because F12 also has an ingame function, that probably caused the crash.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    For a first ship it is fantastic.

The fact that you used a interesting body shape and no a semi cube is incredibly good.
    The color scheme is very nice and different. I enjoy the style and would like to see where you can take this. (Reminds me of a kinda Aztec ship(Awesome!))
    Turrets fit into the form of the overall ship.

As for thing to improve. Wedges and line quality. Some of the edges of your ship are jagged and make for a rough understanding of you ship. You can get more detail and form with some nice use of wedges. Depth/Layers could be used. You use form for the entire ship. You can add details by moving sections of the hull inward 1 block or more and add details to it or extrude blocks. The ship is small so it may not help your ship in particular, but larger it is 100% important to do.

Other than that, fantastic first ship. Keep up the good work.

Reaction score
    For some reason I suspect you play or used to play R-type.

reminds me of the kombiler boss, but hey maybe just a coincidence... anyway, yeah, extremely awesome ship, atleast for your first released one, anyway. You plan on releasing more later on right? :p

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

reminds me of the kombiler boss, but hey maybe just a coincidence... anyway, yeah, extremely awesome ship, atleast for your first released one, anyway. You plan on releasing more later on right? :p
    Yes. On the suggestion that I needed more power regen there is a heavy version in the works that incorporates what a larger version of the primary weapon. Upon testing it was found to eat about 1.5 million p so some restructuring of the hull, power, thrust and shielding is taking place at the moment. I'll pop a screenshot of the WIP at some point in the future. Thanks for the comments.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    lol really looks like a angry parrot not bad for a first ship ! : )

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hello all!

Just about to go to bed but I wanted to give you folks an update. The sun hawk heavy explore is mostly done and has been battle tested (turning towards enemies makes them die /:))
    mass: 1845
    power: 1760000/20300 regen
    thrust: 1450
    shields: 85000/7000 regen

armed to the teeth.

I still have worked to do but I was, frankly, embarrassed when I looked at some of the other examples. Builders here are really good and I can only look on and be inspired. The design of the hull is really easy to expand in a lot of dimensions and I think I keep decorating the exteriors. It feels right somehow. Anyway, thanks for all the great advice!

sh heavy.jpg
    sh heavy side.jpg sh heavy back.jpg sh heavy engines.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rumcajz

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Check my last post. I feel it's an improvement.