First big project

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hey all, I'm kinda new to building in starmade and I've built a few fighters and a corvette but recently I have been building a ship which is 1000m long 300m wide and 300m tall, only prob is I'm awful at design and efficiency, so I was wondering if u guys could help the hull I have got a small idea on what it's gonna look like but the big prob is the power setup it needs work on and idk where else to get help from.

Reaction score
    for bigger ships one reacter is never enough to split them saprt into a row of several larger ones or spread out the power among the ship like say have one next to the thrusters one nearby to the coe and one next to weapons systems another thing i can recomend is not to have all your thrusters located in one place one big thruster will not allow for as much thurst as say 3 or four of them and for weapons dont rely one one cannon EVER two at the least and if you can use as many 3 block long amc cannons at the front this not only is more efficient but more destructive as well and wel you get the jist dont put everything togethoer in the same spot keep it split up and aply a power system to each system or thruster group this can drasticly increase effiency and if done well looks quite \"cool\" or badass if done right and for turrets they should be able to fire without sapping the ships power if you cant keep firing constantly from it without connecting it to your ship then fix it or throw it out.

hope that helps

and also make SURE to cover blind spots with turrets seriously otherwise they [enemy factions, pirates] will murder you.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A ship that size will require solid 10x10x10 blocks of reactors. Spacing them out does not matter because once he reaches around 1,000,000e/sec in generators, the game caps any further increase in generation.

For thrusters I find they generate more thrust if they are all connected but that is just me. Ships I make are too big to mess about with intricate designs (and I also found that a lot of people who do, waste a LOT of space which by extension increases the size of their ship and lowers it\'s maneuverability).

It\'s up to OP to really decide what he wants to do with it.

Forgive me for intruding but I also don\'t think that AMC\'s on a ship this size are a good idea. From experience, they don\'t perform as well as they should. A ship 1000m in length will have THE slowest possible turning speed, severly limiting what you can actually attack whilst piloting. Capital ships, maybe. Planets, maybe. But anything smaller than a Cruiser and you will struggle to keep up with it. Not to mention, the enemy vessel can simply fly around you. Even when fighting a matching opponent, it will be tricky to keep him in sights (and range) to hurt him if were to fly into you and slide above the reach of your cannons.

I much prefer outsourcing the armanent on ships this size to turrets exclusively. You can set the biggest ones to attack selected targets which will give you the freedom to track your opponents wherever they go. Then have smaller turrets as proximity defence and auto-attack for closer ranges. This way, you just fly in and watch as enemy fleets crumble. That\'s just my opinion though.

TL:DR: Don\'t sweat about reactors, just do 10x10x10 blocks and cram them in everywhere you can cuz it doesn\'t matter past 1,000,000. Do the same for shields, EVERYWHERE. Use them as filler.

For hull inspiration, you can always research sci-fi movie and TV ships, or take some ideas from EVE online. Be creative, think of something unconventional.

Reaction score
    As far as power generators go, you never want solid blocks of them. You run single lines down the length of your ship for best efficiency. As long as every block you connect to the first one increases the x y z dimensions of the chain, then you will be rapidly increasing power regen. Do this wrong and you will be increasing the mass of your ship needlessly, increasing the cost of the ship, and placing power blocks where you could have been using shields, reactors, cloakers/jammers, etc.

Reaction score
    But this only applies until you reach 1000000 e/sec then the game gives you 25 power for each power lock without the bonus for volume. So build it like suggested but when you reach 1000000 regen switch to solid blocks of power locks and put them everywhere.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    1000 meter in length?

My 450m \"Carrier\" feels so small all of a sudden. I guess I\'ll better start over...