Recognized Firing a Weapon Outputs a Logic Signal

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think it would be EXTREMELY useful to builders and engineers if we could have weapon computers output a logic signal when they fire. For example, I could make a weapon that has a recoil or recharge animation, like in FTL.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    A bonus would be if it could signal it was ready. So you could have go/no go lights in a cockpit.

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Not only weapons, it would be brilliant if all computers emitted a signal when activated!

As for weapons specifically, it would be great if they emit a high on firing and a low when it goes into their recharge cycle.
    So for cannons/pulse/missile you'll get high/low
    For beams you'll get high (5x @ 200ms) then low
    For support weapons, well that depends on cannon slave value but could be anywhere from 5-50 before a recharge cycle.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think it would be EXTREMELY useful to builders and engineers if we could have weapon computers output a logic signal when they fire. For example, I could make a weapon that has a recoil or recharge animation, like in FTL.

Mentioned something about this some time ago. Not sure I put it in a suggestion though. I wanted it so I could use it to turn on other and fire other weapons based on 1 weapon firing. Thus I could fire more than 1 weapon at a time.

Reactions: faiyde
    Reaction score
    Why not have an interface on all computers to change how or when it outputs a logic signal then it is completely customize-able.
    Give it even more options for each computer type.

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    Have thought about this a couple times before and would love to see something along these lines for a handful of reasons, will take the thread to the council; that said, have attempted to build a logic fired recoiling cannon on stream and it came out looking quite naughty.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Have thought about this a couple times before and would love to see something along these lines for a handful of reasons, will take the thread to the council; that said, have attempted to build a logic fired recoiling cannon on stream and it came out looking quite naughty.
    I know you can already build logic-fired weapons, but it'd be a lot nicer if we could aim the things.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    A long time desired feature. While it may not be a priority I am sure this is possible and maybe even easy to do. It may have to wait until we take a look at weapons again. I will document this for when that time comes.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I know you can already build logic-fired weapons, but it'd be a lot nicer if we could aim the things.
    You can aim them. Put it on a turret with an AI module set to selected target. Link the weapon to an activation and activation to wireless. I don't think the AI can fire it if it's linked to the activation instead of the core used in the turret. If it can, disregard this post. Unless you meant manual aim, in which case, you put it on a turret with no AI, but then you can't pilot the ship either.

Edit: Either way, this just gave me an awesome idea, especially if we can use CPU output for logic later.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    You can aim them. Put it on a turret with an AI module set to selected target. Link the weapon to an activation and activation to wireless. I don't think the AI can fire it if it's linked to the activation instead of the core used in the turret. If it can, disregard this post. Unless you meant manual aim, in which case, you put it on a turret with no AI, but then you can't pilot the ship either.

Edit: Either way, this just gave me an awesome idea, especially if we can use CPU output for logic later.
    That's not aiming them, though. That's letting the AI aim, which comes with numerous downsides.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That's not aiming them, though. That's letting the AI aim, which comes with numerous downsides.
    Yeah, but you can still fly while using it. And it's also why I said you could put it on a turret with no AI, but you can't be in a turret and the ship core at the same time. That would work best if you had someone to fly while you shoot.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9

WANT...

SOOOOO much WANT!!! :eek:

Recoiling howitzers, Gatling rotation animations, Star Trek warp drive flashes... The ideas... they're in my brain again!!!

Shine team,

For the sake of creativity and my sanity... Please make this happen.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    While it is currently possible to make recoiling weapons using logic triggered weapons, I would really like this to have recoiling turrets or turrets with muzzle flare lights. I think it could make for some really gorgeous effects.

Reactions: nightrune

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I think the only possible downside is that you could then chain other weapon computers together bypassing the current weapon power penalty.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I thought separate weapon computers already bypass power penalties. Am I missing something?

...or do you mean being able to fire multiple weapons systems simultaneously instead of the previous method of just one computer with multiple outputs? Technically that can already be done by linking the computers to logic; just not computer to computer.

Although, I don't think such a practice would be beneficial in most cases since logic missiles aren't guided and logic cannons/beams are harder to aim.

It would be an interesting experiment to say the least.