• I don't care!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Okay, I'm suggesting again. Wish me luck.

Recently, I've been trying out the build helper more than usual, and I've run into two things that annoy me:

1. The build helper lattice/mesh/frame lags A LOT. My framerate drops from 120 to a slideshow if I try to make a large ellipsoid or torus.
    2. If I'm trying to make something large, filling it in takes a lot of time, even with a larger max build area.
    I'm proposing a solution to both problems, namely filling the entire build helper area with the selected block. This would not only cut down on build times, but lag as well, as you'd be spending less time with that laggy mesh in place. And perhaps, if possible, the build helper mesh could entirely be replaced with real blocks.

So, is this even possible? Because if it is, I think that it would be a worthwhile improvement, if a small one at that.

Reaction score
    No, it wouldn't. The lag doesn't come from the mesh, but rather the rapid position/graphical updates on several hundred (Or several thousand) fake blocks/wire-frame fakes---simultaneously. That's what hurts the game. Or, at least, that's what I believe.

Reaction score
    Sudden and massive recalculations of hitbox, graphics, placement, physics, you name it, the CPU's gotta do it, every block that mesh moves. And, to throw a tiny bit of icing, it's also gotta calculate dimensions for it. So yeah, placing that mesh lags. It's gonna lag even if (and possibly more!) you have full blocks, with all the attendant faces and graphical stuff to load in too.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Okay, I'm suggesting again. Wish me luck.

Recently, I've been trying out the build helper more than usual, and I've run into two things that annoy me:

1. The build helper lattice/mesh/frame lags A LOT. My framerate drops from 120 to a slideshow if I try to make a large ellipsoid or torus.
    2. If I'm trying to make something large, filling it in takes a lot of time, even with a larger max build area.
    I'm proposing a solution to both problems, namely filling the entire build helper area with the selected block. This would not only cut down on build times, but lag as well, as you'd be spending less time with that laggy mesh in place. And perhaps, if possible, the build helper mesh could entirely be replaced with real blocks.

So, is this even possible? Because if it is, I think that it would be a worthwhile improvement, if a small one at that.
    I think luck isn't in your favour for this one, It's been suggested.
    Recognized by Council - Fill Enclosed Area Option for Build Helper
    Fill build helper

Better luck next time :P