fighter formations

Reaction score
    me being human and being obsessed with this game for a good 3 months now non stop i feel that i have been missing something when it comes to squadron battle tactics in fact most of the one you whould normally use here on erath whould never work in space and most certainly do not work in this game so what do i do about this? experiment of course! but sadly after testing on a server with flight mechanics i realise it is simply impossible to hold the same old stretegic fighter formations of old because lets face it not everyone has the same connection and therefore might receive a command and be too late this most often results in their death and im getting sick and tired of it even in a two man squadron it is extremely difficult to get everyone in the same formation that whould help not only the squadron but the fleet they fly under as well so i ask you the forums to help me solve an issue and while internet problems are rather big the real problem or shall we say the elephant in the room here is the fact that formations for space combat simply do not exist at this time and going on my own to do this whould be rathar greedy so i am asking you the great people of starmade to work togethor and figure out fighter and fleet formations because lets face it you cant even work a fleet without some sort of formation and class size and classification is great but where do you place such vessels and where whould they be most effective?

Reaction score
    As you pointed out, formations in starmade are quite impossible. Similar to air battles, once the fight started, there it is mostly improvisations and not really formations. All you have is a general strategy like attacking a certain part of the enemy ship(like at a capital, you would first try to take out the major turrets, then try to shoot on the core while staying away from the front of the ship). Saying exactly where you have to move and therefore stay in formations is impossible as you can\'t predict precisly enemy movements. When it\'s fighter vs fighter, you might tell your allies which ship to target but you will not be able to tell them to stay at a certain position next to your or another ship.

Reaction score
    what coan be done about fleet formations to prevent colisions and the like i mean the last you want happening ina battle is having your cargo ship being split from the fleet and being taken down in wolf like fashion so how do you prevent that in the least?

Reaction score
    Not letting your cargo ship get in battle would be the best option...The most logical strategy would be to try to retreat the cargo ship while fighters cover the retreat(simply ramming an attacking ship can easily give your cargo ship a few hundred meter of advance, dependinding on max speed. Also, if you are chasing a cargo ship and are getting chased yourself, you would either strafe to avoid the shots at you or retreat and take out the fighter. In both cases, the cargo ship can get an advance, if not escape