Fighter / Capital Ship distinction

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Now I do love Starmade, I like nothing more than spending many hours just building bigger and better ships. But one thing that my ships have in common with eachother is that they are intended to be aesthetically pleasing rather than for actual combat. No matter what I do after I've completed a nice hull, it seems that my ships are no match for enormous cylinders consisting of cannons/missiles surrounded with hull, which are easy to make and boring as hell.
    I'm sure many of these suggestions have been heard of before, and I'm sure I won't explain what I'm looking for anywhere near as well as the next man but I'll have a go.

If there were some sort of method that would encourage people to actually build an indoor area rather than the "battle cylinders" that plague the starmade universe. I'm not going to suggest including some sort of air pressure mechanic but if your character had an O2 meter, which would replenish only when they are in any enclosed area I feel that could help. So if your ship were hulled, you would have to either fill the gap or close off the area using. the plexidoors, like an airlock.

Another thing that may discourage "battle cylinders" (I apologise, but I will continue to refer to them as that) would be a complete overhaul on the weapon systems. If the weapons' rof was inversely proportional to its size ( but the damage increase would be enough for larger weapons so as to discourage having nothing but small guns too) then a ship would need to have backup small guns if the primary gun were to miss. However this doesn't solve the battle cylinder problem as well as my next suggestion.

If ships could only provide thrust in the direction the thrusters are facing, it would not be possible to strafe around a ship always facing it. This would force ships to make passes if either ship in combat has any velocity. Now it isn't necessary to make it so the thrust is ONLY forwards, only a small amount of thrust along the other axes (Y,Z,F whichever), that way the a, s and d keys would still have there use. Ofcourse you may have the thrusters facing other directions, like port and starboard but they would most likely not be as large or powerful as the main aft engines. Then the only real way to strafe an enemy facing them would be to have large lateral thrusters, which would make the ship so large and unwieldy, I feel it would discourage those large ships with all guns facing forward ( such as the battle cylinders) and encourage the use of port and starboard turrets as you make a pass. Of all my suggestions, I have thought of this thruster overhaul the most and I feel it is the main point in this by now long ass suggestion. Wake up, I'm not done yet.

One final idea, which would encourage small point defense turrets. Destructable missiles. This way small point defense turrets would be necessary for an effective defense. Maybe even just making it so a Bobby Ai ship with the impact bomb blocks on the front try go kamikaze. You can have them docked on your ship and when you undock them they shoot off towards the enemy. Like a finite IED missile. Now this is my final last terminal suggestion, handheld small arms, making boarding a possibility. That way point defense would be absolutely necessary. I can just imagine sticking onto the side of a ship, blowing a hole and making your way inside.

So if there's anything which this post reveals about me, I want it so broadside engagements (as naval ship to ship battles have) and being able to board enemy ships and have corridor engagements are possible AND viable options. And to finish, I'd like to remind you that these are suggestions, not demands, so if its not in anyone else's interest that's ok but FML in that case.

Edit: I've changed the title to a more accurate representation of what I'm looking for, as I guess what I really want is for a real distinction between a Fighter and Capital Ship. Starmade suffers from the same problem as many other games set in space, the Capital Ships behave more like big fighters than how they should, like Capital Ships. To do this it seems that it would be wise to dial down ship movement in other directions but forward to eliminate strafing. It'll force different ship builders to make capital ships more like capital ships (mostly using large lateral turrets, because have you ever seen a big ship in any sci fi movie strafe around an enemy ship all guns fixed facing forward? No, they "fly" past eachother broadside guns blazing) and also make fighters more like fighters (in sci fi movies you don't see fighters flying sideways either, in battlestar galactica the fighters use their own momentum to move sideways, they don't actually thrust sideways). Another thing to do would be to GREATLY reduce turning speed with a ship's mass allowing fighters to continue doing their sideways strafe but ONLY using their momentum and NOT through lateral thrust, and Capital Ships would be forced to focus on use of broadside guns rather than forward facing guns like the "battle cylinders" which may only be useful for a few seconds before a ship moves out of their field of fire, and passes them. Hold on I'm still not done.

My other suggestions are Secondary to this point and just ways of , in my opinion, improving combat. So if there's anything to take from this, FORWARD thrust, make it so lateral / retro thrust ( I have a lot less of a problem with retro thrust, I mean you have to brake somehow and it wouldn't really make battle cylinders much easier to use) are reduced enormously regardless of a ship's mass and would only be capable of accelerating a ship to less than 5m/s ( arbitrary small number ), and finally a MASSIVE reduction in attitude changes ( turning speed ) relative to the ships dimensions ( a longer ship would take longer to rotate up/down or left/right due to the distribution of it's mass with relation to it's distance to it's fulcrum, that's the turning point, I'm sorry if my words are getting too scientific and I'm sorry if you understand them and are insulted by my dismissal of your intelligence ) as well as the mass of the ship. Alright, now I'm done.

Reaction score
    I agree with everything you say here. On top of what you said, giving shields a small amount of damage reduction (10 per multiple of 10) can also help to increase variety in ship design. Besides \"battle cylinders\", players also like to spam shotgun-like arrays of single AMC cannons, because they have highest DPS and drills for the core the fastes. Giving shields damage reduction would keep players from going to the opposite end of the extreme as now (building nothing but spammed AMC turrets to shoot down missiles and have the highest fire rate possible), as anti-missile turrets would have greatly reduced damage against shields, and larger turrets would have too slow of a tracking speed/fire rate to effective engage fighters (without some intelligent designing).

I think drastically reducing large ships manuveruablity should be added, as well. Max turn rate, max velocity, and acceleration should all increase exponentially as mass increases, so Titans will hardly be manuvurable at all, even with massive, massive main engine and many supporting thruster engines. (Of course, this needs to be countered by adding a warp drive of some sort, but that\'s a discussion for another thread.)

Reaction score
    that are some very nice ideas you have there.

i too love to design my ship to be pleasing to the eyes.

I\'m glad playing on a server where people would rather just download beautiful ship instead of building monstrous cylinders as you described.

i really hope manouver-thrusters will be added.

Reaction score
    totally right man, very good points, especially that with \"enormous cylinders\" and good looking ships being no match for them, that lateral thruster idea also has some potential

SUPPORT THIS

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    battle cylinders can just put a lot of broad side guns on their ship with no problems, since they are already ugly. but ships that are mostly made to be aestaticly pleasing (pardon my english, im dutch) have more trouble doing that since it would make their ships look strange. most scyfi movies have ships that have cannons aimed at the front in one direction (exept for treasure planet, love that movie XD) .

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m afraid the part where you said that many broadside guns make things look strange rendered your entire comment ridiculous and outlandish in my eyes. I never deny there are forward facing guns in sci fi, just that not all their guns face forward. Ships with all guns forward are standoff ships and poor in close combat. If battle cylinders had this weakness I would not have as much of a problem as it is not the fact they have a shitty appearance that I dislike, its the fact that theyre shitty AND they always beat me. As of now they just move away and circle around so their guns always face you. Which this suggestion would take care of. And yes, battle cylinders CAN put a bunch of turrets on but atleast they can\'t just keep running away, giving others a chance to deal some damage on them. If enormous forward facing batteries are less effective then there would be little point making battle cylinders in the first place. Also if turning speed were reduced, battle cylinder turrets would not be effective either. Having many turrets firing small cannons was addressed in someone else\'s comment too. Now please, I will hear no more ill will for numerous broadside guns.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I totally agree with what your saying. I especially think that the thrusters should only go the way their facing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    why is it that i always feel like im arguing with people on this forum?

you have to consider, that there are a lot of people who like to rebuild ships from tv series, like star-trek or movies like starwars. most of those ships do (like star-destroyers) do not have broadsided cannons, so that would render their ships less usefull, than battlecylinders. because the battle cylinders can just put a lot of cannons on their sides, with no problems. but the guys with the star-destroyers want that their ship looks as close to the originals from the series, as possible. so they just cant put a bunch of cannons on their sides! that would make their ship a lot differend from the original. if they where to put the cannons on the inside (what is entirerly possible, since cannonfire doesnt affect your own ship) then:

firstly, it would look silly in my oppinion, since you would just see a lot of random lazers appear out of thin air from the hull. ( i hope this sentence DIDNT render my entire comment \"ridiculous\" and \"outlandish\" in your eye )

secondly, it would make star destroyers or ships that are made with a speccific design in mind worse, since builders would have to fill precious interior space with broadsided cannons what also could be spend on shieldgenerators or powergenerators.

not all builders want to put broadsided cannons on their ships, but they would have the choise on having a ship with small broadsided cannons, or no broadsided cannons at all.

if they implement that and make shipfights all about flying past each other and shooting with broadsided cannons then it would make spaceships that are foccussed on frontal cannons less usefull, while it doesnt harm battlecylinders at all, since they can just easily put broadsided cannons on their ships.

i hope i explained my self :)

Reaction score
    One thing that\'s been missed here is that AMCs and missile arrays should be able to face sideways, and when they do, they need to FIRE sideways. With lateral firing, it will make broadsiding a whole lot more feesable.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sadly, I don\'t see any of these problems being thigns that would even slow larger crafts which are not astetically pleasing and built for efficency, it would actually widen the gap between them.

Internal Areas
    These are not something to stop a battle cylinder, they are simple to add, they hardly have a penalty and actually open ares for storing items from pirates killed or rooms for control units to transport other players. In addition, several already have internal halls which lead to their turrets so they don\'t have to EVA to toggle the turrets. I don\'t think this will limit them very much at all.

Weapons RoF scaling
    Seeing as looks don\'t matter, what would stop the battle cylinders from breaking the arrays from a few massive guns to dozens on dozens of smaller, optimized arrays? This is currently what some already do if you did not know. It may look like a one solid cannon but I would assume it is closer to four or eight different arrays with a later of shielding in between. Even currently the people who would build battle cylinders focus on optimization even within large layouts. You can see how they even break down current AMC to find the most efficent arrays here: http://star-made.org/content/amc-data

Engines
    Engines angled in different directions? It is easy to make systems to go forwards back and angle to each of the 6 direction, reverse being just as important as forward for the sake of combat abilities. Seeing how it looks would not matter to the battle cylinders, only astetic ships will find issues.

Bobby Impact Missiles
    These exist. A Bobby AI without a weapons computer will ram its target, attach dis-Intigrator blocks to the front of the vessel.

Small Arms Boarding
    Seeing as these battle cylinders focus on efficency over appearance they would most likely also have other options. They would easily segment a inernal area at cross hallways as a 9x9x9 no movement area which will house a turret with personal shielding, controled by a Bobby AI. This unit will fire at any non-friendly. Boarding the vessel would end in a short death. This is counting the pilot doesn\'t simply link a checker board pattern of AMC to a second weapons computer at the end of every hall so that they fire at a click of a button or even link tot he main computer having them fire any time his main guns fire. There is a whole topic on this subject, please see here: http://star-made.org/content/personal-defense-armor-weapons-boarding-parties-and-robo-bots

Classes
    Just so you know, large and small ships act similar because there aren\'t fighters or capital ships. Those are player created classes, not something that Schema proposed or enforces: Blitzwing, Gamesaucer, Nameless, etc.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    http://star-made.org/node/6992 the star destroyer seems to have MASSIVE braodside guns your argument is invalide

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good idea man, to be perfectly honest I thought you already could, but I only tried with homing missiles and just assumed they turned forward immediately.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Bobby impact missiles? YES! This is good. The engine part I feel someone would need to make the engines so large that their turn rate would slow to point it would counter the benefit. As for your other points, they were mainly just things I felt would improve the game as whole and are secondary to the main point.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    the star destroyer was just an example. even if im wrong and it does have broadside guns (which it might have, considering im not really a starwars fan) then that does not make my argument wrong.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    To be honest I don\'t really understand what your argument is at all. Is what you say a criticism of the main post and an alternative solution? I couldn\'t make out any alternative so I\'m sorry to point this out but you are coming across as someone whom just wants to point out problems without making any counter proposals, which is what I assumed the whole point of giving your suggestions on a forum was for. Maybe you should suggest your own opinion so it doesn\'t seem as though you\'re just arguing for the sake of arguing. If you see a problem, come up with something better because I have an open mind to these things as I want to see this game improve.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry for being a dick about this but this really annoys me. Star destroyers have Broadside cannons, they\'re the main weapons along with numerous other broadside cannon batteries concealed within the ship in addition to a load of point defence batteries all round the ship. See broadside cannons: http://quinn-g.deviantart.com/art/Imperial-Star-Destroyer-WIP-138925042

Reaction score
    I think the core of the problem is they way damage from turrets currently work + capital ship accel and speed. There is no reason to think of ship layout when, at large numbers, it takes 3x the number of shield blocks vs. AMCs to last even 2-3 seconds. AMCs need to reduced DPS per block as the guns become larger (by means of diminishing added firepower, and a REDUCTION in fire rate with each block added), and shields need to absorb a small amount of damage. Combined with massively reduce a large ship\'s ability to move/accel/turn, you\'ll promote building intelligent designs that protect weak areas with turrets, and will put the all the advantages (as far as dogfighting/moving/dodging goes) in the hands of Frigates+fighters.

Also having Reinforced Hull share damage with connected Reinforced Hull + Radar that highlights enemy systems, fights will become less about surprising your enemy with your \"beautiful\" 200mil DPS Battle Cannon, and more about carefully attempting to disable key parts of the enemy ship (as far as large ships are concerened) and fighters will have the job of hunting down enemy systems and destroying them, holding the advantages of mobility (think Star Wars Battle Front 2 - cap ships are hard to bring down, dish out the fire power, but are weak to being disabled. Frigates have more pin-pointed fire power, and tend to fall to over-all failure. Fighters can trash enemy systems because of their mobility, but not before back up has taken out the enemy anti-fighter turrets)

Reaction score
    At present, there are no mechanics that can be implimented to force people to make internal pathways and such. Even if you implimented the need for the core to be in an area that has atmosphere and other means of life support, there\'s nothing stopping anyone from making a single seater dreadnought.

One way to force the more diversified use of ship internal passages is to make a minimum \"population\" of crew based on the size of the ship. One could impliment a mechanic that requires addtional consoles to be manned by additional NPC or PC crew that would in turn require operational space that requires life support, and additional peripheral systems like crew sleeping and eating quarters, along with restrooms and such.

For obvious reasons, this would make many people very unhappy, as it would greatly overcomplicate the game for them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Seems better thought out and better explained than what I said, and definitely in my interest. So yeah, what he said.