Female Avatar: Stephanie (the counterpart to Steve)

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Planned; Low priority.
    How quick would it take to make one? I don't know much about making skins, but I feel that if it doesn't take that much time it should be thrown in with the next update.

(Also, doesn't that mean this should get a dev tag?)

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    How quick would it take to make one? I don't know much about making skins, but I feel that if it doesn't take that much time it should be thrown in with the next update.
    Regardless of how much time it takes, we have no time to do it. Nor should it take another projects place in the priority order whilst the game is under such game changing developments.

I won't be putting a rushed "female" dave skin into the game to tick a box. If it's done, we do it right. We make a 2nd character.

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Regardless of how much time it takes, we have no time to do it. Nor should it take another projects place in the priority order whilst the game is under such game changing developments.

I won't be putting a rushed "female" dave skin into the game to tick a box. If it's done, we do it right. We make a 2nd character.
    Good on you. Thank you for reading the suggestion! I can't wait to see the new character when you make her.

Reaction score
    If I may give my 2 cents.

Why not let the player only design the head by making a small .jpeg file.
    This .jpeg of like 5kB can then be uploaded to the server by selecting it from a drop down list the first time they enter.
    The server then sends it to the rest of the player when he gets in sight.

No need to do it like Minecraft to upload it to a master database.

The space suit is then designed by the faction in a sort of uniform.
    They got 2 variants: 1 for the cadets and 1 for the high ranked officers.

This will mean there will be far less amount of uniforms than heads stored on the server.
    Which is good because they need to be a .png so the helmet can be see through.

To calculate the amount of space it will take on a server with 1000 players and 100 factions:
    5kB x 1000 + 100 x 2 x 20kB = a whopping 9mB

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ...Why not let the player only design the head by making a small .jpeg file.
    This .jpeg of like 5kB can then be uploaded to the server by selecting it from a drop down list the first time they enter.
    The server then sends it to the rest of the player when he gets in sight....
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/customizing-npc-and-player-looks-mixnmatch-skins.5418/

With my responses in the thread linked above, I agree. Having separate head and body avatars will multiply the customization possibilities.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Please don't even bring that thread up again. Delete the link, please.
    No, you're thinking of another thread. There was the horrible one I made, and then someone made a new one out of it.

Reaction score
    We've seen this a lot.

On the subject, different body shape(s?) might be nice.

Though you might have a problem with hitboxes not matching the visual, or choosing the character with the best hitboxes.
    Plus textures.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ...you might have a problem with hitboxes not matching the visual, or choosing the character with the best hitboxes.
    Plus textures.
    (shocked and horrified) Just because we give an avatar a female shape does not give you permission to go hitting on her, or her boxes, you misogynistic beast you.

(Note: In case it wasn't clear. The preceding statement was low humor based on a bad pun, not a sincere criticism or sociopolitical commentary.)

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    (shocked and horrified) Just because we give an avatar a female shape does not give you permission to go hitting on her, or her boxes, you misogynistic beast you.
    Maybe female should automatically get hostile if you do.
    And male also if they don't like you much and you touch certain spot.

:DIn:Dabsence:Dof:Dthe:Dpossibility:Dto:Drate:Dmy:Down:Dpost:Das:Dfunny:D