Fazer Mini: working 8 bit CPU

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    DragonSoulSong well it took me few months JUST to understand the idea and principles of how a CPU work and just then and only then
    I was able to start building my first CPU , but dude , that feeling when it's done , you're like : "it's alive ! IT'S AAALLLLIIVVVEEEE " xD

but if one day you have the willing to build CPUs (in logisim not starmade), I will give you every documents (PDF, diagrams) I found wich are really helpfull , just ask ;)
    Sounds like a plan! ^.=.^ If I do indeed ever feel up to the challenge, I'll definitely throw a ping your way and let you know! :D Gotta be a great feeling when you finish something like that, I know I feel accomplished even when I succeed at simpler projects of mine. :) But to have something like this come to life after all of that hard work...it definitely seems like fun. Perhaps some day. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    yep ! anytime ! :)
    oh yeah but after the first it becomes really easier , for me the next big step is to create a working OS with screen and keyboard on the last CPU I've built in logisim and if I succeed I'll feel even more accomplished than when I finished my very first CPU :D

Reaction score
    Wow
    and here I thought I was fairly decent at using logic blocks...
    Great work takethispie

I'm betting that the lag is caused by the hundreds of animated connection tubes
    I experienced a similar problem a few months back due to my faction's giant factory station (pic related)
    http://i.imgur.com/fmL6ncj.png

It's too bad that there isn't an option to turn those things off...

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Proxima_Centauri thanks :D
    oh ok , I though it was the number of gates as I run starmade with a constant 60-50 fps (60fps limit activated) all the time

yeah that would be great but I'm sure schema is already doing is best, I can wait ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    OMAGAD IT'S WORKING

with the new update logic works so good ! it's awesome !
    *moment of pure happiness*

so I think I will make a little video showing a little program (actually this CPU is so little that I can do a lot of things very impressive)
    and I'll ASAP start working on a 16bit CPU with jump, conditional jump (making conditional loops , if/then statements possible), a lot more register, input/outpout, and 20-30 instruction program memory. and THAT IS IMPRESSIVE :D

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    now without lag through false->false logic updates, it might be possible :)

though I somehow miss the ability to create a non-repeating (not more than once) false->false or true->true logic update as a way to cycle the activation status in an activation1 -> not1 -> activtation2 -> not2 - > activation1 loop.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I didn't see at first but I have issue with register not updating well because of the false->false lag I think (but I'm not sure) :/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is really interesting. I have been programming computers but I always thought that the hardware would be to complex to under stand. This looks like something I would be interested in. Any tips on where I should look for information.

Last edited:

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    gosh I would love so much to continue my work on this CPU
    I hope the finite state machine problem will be resolved one day :/

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ohh that reminds me of a fun lecture some semesters back :)
    Minecraft bases without at least a partial CPU (ALU) at the very minimum were unthinkable since then (even if practically useless). MC did have a more performant (even if messy, I really didn't like having to lay down the wires individually and nontouching) logic system though, it could support 8-bit CPUs (they worked fine, just took half a world of space), while apparently OP's test shows the optimization doesn't go very far yet in SM.
    NuclearFun you too were subjected to the horrors of Xilinx ISE?

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    since chaosinflesh made his 8bit cpu, I will continue my work on my cpu wich is now going to be a 8bit ( since almost every circuit I've made is stackable :) )
    starting with the program counter I just finished:

it's a 8bit up counter, with parallel load (used for jumps, branches , etc)
    frequency: 1hz max
    I use a new design of edge triggered register wich use 5 less gates thanks to the Flip Flop block \o/
    p.s: 8bit -> 0 to 255

Reactions: Chaosinflesh

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I tried to build a CPU yesterday wich didn't work because I had problem with control signal and synchronisation:

so I decided to build a real MIPS (Microprocessor without Interlocked Pipeline Stages) processor and not just a single cycle MIPS
    and here comes the Fazer Mini, for those who are wondering yes it's inspired by the Fazer-P I built in Logisim:

it use only ~2200 logic gates including the 32Byte ROM and has a speed around 1Hz ( well it's more complicated as instruction are splitted in stages, 1 instruction is finished every 0.5-0.6 seconds but a whole instruction takes 2 seconds to go through all 4 stages )

there are few very complex circuits to build ( forwarding unit, interrupt handler, etc) so I think the cpu will use about 3000 gates,
    900 more gates than now, when it will be finished :)

I will do the hello world video too :p

maybe I need to describe each pictures yes no ?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    it's a 8bit up counter, with parallel load (used for jumps, branches , etc)
    frequency: 1hz max
    I use a new design of edge triggered register wich use 5 less gates thanks to the Flip Flop block \o/
    p.s: 8bit -> 0 to 255
    Maybe you could build a NOT-Equivalent to it to have something working at the intermediate phase.
    Also I hope you have seen my over-clocking thread in General Discussions. I hope your CPU is stable enough for over-clocking :D

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    there is no point in using a NOT equivalent ^^
    yes but I won't use it, it will not really work because of the gate latency, and have you tried it on a cpu at least ? :)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, if you can't use that much information per cycle, there is ofc no use in it.
    It would be interesting if both the positive and negative part of a clock cycle is used to transfer information.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Well, if you can't use that much information per cycle, there is ofc no use in it.
    It would be interesting if both the positive and negative part of a clock cycle is used to transfer information.
    the register are rising edge, I can't use the falling edege of the clock ^^