Factory Starting Power

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    The power supply beam is useless to most players, especially after players have a base started. Most servers will either give you at least one power block when you start, and/or give you enough credits to buy one. Only hardcore servers where players lose their items and credits (and have to start from scratch) would need it when setting up their first factory on a planet, but they wouldn't have it because they lost their items.

Instead of needing a power supply beam, why not just have each factory provide enough power for one block to be made when it is added to a structure or planet? This way one power block could be made without needing the tool. The suit used to make the factory has unlimited power, so why doesn't it "charge" the factory enough to make its own power source?

Reactions: Lukwan

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have to agree, the power beam is honestly pretty damned clunky and counter-intuitive to use.

I'd much rather have factories either be self powered at the 1x level, or let you make power generators in your suit.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, on servers where you lose all your meta items on death the factory becomes useless. It could be sorted if you could craft power & thrusters as well as basic factories.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, on servers where you lose all your meta items on death the factory becomes useless. It could be sorted if you could craft power & thrusters as well as basic factories.
    I like this idea better than factories generating power. Expand the abilities of the player's inventory crafting system to cover a few more basic blocks and as long as you can find something to mine, you will always be able to bootstrap yourself back into the game should you lose everything.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I like this idea better than factories generating power.
    I wasn't saying factories should make their own power. I want factories to start with only enough power to make one block. If you make a basic hull, then you wouldn't have anymore power to make anything. The power wouldn't regenerate. My reasoning is the suit used to make your factory seems to have unlimited power, so why not give some of that power to the factory when it is made? It would be like the factory has a small built-in battery that has only enough power for the factory to make one block.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Unless SM wants to re-brand itself as a survival game I don't see the purpose for this tool.

I would suggest that any basic function required to start from scratch come built-in to the suit. see:Clean up astronaut toolbar

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    The power supply beam is useless to most players, especially after players have a base started. Most servers will either give you at least one power block when you start, and/or give you enough credits to buy one. Only hardcore servers where players lose their items and credits (and have to start from scratch) would need it when setting up their first factory on a planet, but they wouldn't have it because they lost their items.

Instead of needing a power supply beam, why not just have each factory provide enough power for one block to be made when it is added to a structure or planet? This way one power block could be made without needing the tool. The suit used to make the factory has unlimited power, so why doesn't it "charge" the factory enough to make its own power source?
    On hardcore and items: Does the game make you drop what's in your inventory-factory/refinery now? I seem to remember stashing low-mass items like emergency-ship-blueprints and various guns in there as standard fare.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    On hardcore and items: Does the game make you drop what's in your inventory-factory/refinery now? I seem to remember stashing low-mass items like emergency-ship-blueprints and various guns in there as standard fare.
    I'm think they get emptied on death, but I'm not sure.

Edit:
    I checked. The factory slots get emptied on death.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Unfortunately, there are really no bits available to store the power value. Schine would have to create a special exception for factory blocks that cannibalized some of the HP bits.

If this were implemented, I'd like to see enough energy for about 11 blocks or so. That way, if it's a new player playing with these blocks for the very first time ever, there's some extra energy in case their first produced block isn't exactly the one they need.